Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bentley still being considered?

Re: Bentley still being considered?

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    This guy will want cash...won't happen...end of story.

While I could believe the Browns are dumb enough to allow
    a stud to leave...its hard to believe Bentley would play for
    a reasonable contract.
    He may not have a choice this year, he may sign a one year with some incentives just to see if he can still handle the rigors of an NFL season. If he plays well and stays healthy then he'll be in position to go looking for the pot of gold.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    This guy will want cash...won't happen...end of story.

While I could believe the Browns are dumb enough to allow
    a stud to leave...its hard to believe Bentley would play for
    a reasonable contract.
    He may not have a choice this year, he may sign a one year with some incentives just to see if he can still handle the rigors of an NFL season. If he plays well and stays healthy then he'll be in position to go looking for the pot of gold.

Pappy

Yeah good call. I don't see any way a team will just open the vault with a long term deal. 1, 2 year at maximum with mostly incentive as JPN stated. If he over performs I guess it hurts the pocket book, but protects the $100+ million investment they recently made. So this would be a good route to go I suppose.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

motter1975

As many have said, for the right price, I'd like to sign him and see what he's still got. As Iron Sheik and Pap said, I would think that at this point, he's in no position to demand a large contract. This is such a "what have you done for me lately" league, that I can't see any team willing to risk signing him for big bucks.

Mahan's cap hit is definitely a road block to letting Bently come in and really compete, but if we could find a way to work it, I'd be all for it.

Hall of Famer

I think Mahan is scheduled to make $2,975,000. Signing bonus left is $3,200,000. So $1,600,000 this year is a $1,375,000 savings. The $1,600,000 will be hard to stomach next year. It isn't the savings...It is the Rooney's giving away 3.2 mil! To me it is what ever makes the team better...But it isn't my money!

I would sign him if I could. I think Hartwig is going to only slightly better than Mahan but not serviceable over the long haul of 3 -4 years. If they think this guy can stay healthy, then its a no brainer. They have to start solidifying a postion. They have to get some talent on that line. If he's healthy, sign him.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    I would be ok with this signing. I still have a hard time believing the Clowns would just cut him if they didn't think he could still play.

Keep in mind, this is the Browns. They drafted B. Quinn because they didn't think D. Anderson could play. But in the Browns defense (can't believe I'm typing that) who did?

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    I would be ok with this signing. I still have a hard time believing the Clowns would just cut him if they didn't think he could still play.

Keep in mind, this is the Browns. They drafted B. Quinn because they didn't think D. Anderson could play. But in the Browns defense (can't believe I'm typing that) who did?

For what it is worth, I still don't think Derek Anderson can play. He's a one year anomaly. Remember, Scott Mitchell once threw for 32 TD's and 12 INT's in one season.

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

At this point, Bentley is all reward and no risk. Taking a flier on him makes sense. He really isn't in a position to demand big money up front, so if the Steelers signed him to a one or two year incentive rich deal, I'd be all in favor.

Bentley's main competition would be Mahan. That being the case, I think the Steelers bite the bullet on the cap hit and keep Bentley at a discount. If he plays well enough, Bentley will start at G (I see bringing him in as a G first, backing up C). G is not as rigorous a position and the Steelers have just as great a need at G as at C anyway. He is also insurance at C if Hartwig gets hurt or (perish the thought) underachieves.

I wouldn't cry about not having him. But Bentley has almost total upside at this point, as he couldn't be any further down.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!