Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contenders? Why The Hell Not?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Contenders? Why The Hell Not?

Anytime we have a healthy Ben playing on our team we're in contenders for the big show. I've been reading the comparisons between the Browns and the Steelers and there simple aren't any. You can't compare Anderson to Ben...there's just no way and I'm not talking stats. I'm talking about heart which can't be measured. Ben has championship heart and poopie stain Anderson doesn't.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Just to keep an even handedness about this....

Regression #1 - Alan Faneca gone and replacement will come out of camp

Regression #2 - Return Units, Moore has done it, but, we're still lacking and unsure whether he's the answer or not.

Regression #3 - Coverage Units, unless, some players really stand out in camp as ST demons, I can't see this getting better

Regression #4 - Defensive Line, all are another year older after sub-par sesaons and injuries a year ago. Draft choices and depth haven't proven they're worth.

Regression #5 - Overall line play (offensive), they have to be better as a unit, and many positions are still in flux.

These may not actually be regressions, but areas of concern and uncertainty that could cause problems if they don't improve from last year.

Pappy
    Actually, I don't consider these to be regressions per se...they are, unfortunately, some of the same problems that plagued the Steelers last year...

The closest to a regression might be Faneca, but he didn't perform like the Faneca that we used to know last year...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers 2-14...mark it.

I agree...other than our schedule there is no reason we shouldn't have a very competitive team. How competitive? Ehhh...that will highly depend on our OL and if we can stay healthy.
    Trolls are people too.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    I agree with everything you stated.

IMO, it will boil down to 2 things.
    1. Can we protect Ben?
    2. Can we pressure the opposing teams QB?

If we can even see a 20% increase in both, heck, even a 10% increase would be nice, we will go far...

My 2 yen
    Agree 100% with the two metrics you identify. Goals should be:

<40 sacks allowed (I think we will always be around 40 because of how Ben holds onto the ball to extend plays)

>45 sacks against opposing QBs. If we get >50 we will win 12 games. Nothing changes a game more than a sack.

Here is another that I'll throw in >15 INTs. INTs is one area we need to improve in. The key is keeping Troy back in civerage and not wrestling 300lb linemen.
    Good point about the INTs. Now if Ike would just have caught even 1/3rd of the catchable INTs that hit his hands?!?!?!?!?!?!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Anytime we have a healthy Ben playing on our team we're in contenders for the big show. I've been reading the comparisons between the Browns and the Steelers and there simple aren't any. You can't compare Anderson to Ben...there's just no way and I'm not talking stats. I'm talking about heart which can't be measured. Ben has championship heart and poopie stain Anderson doesn't.

Very well said.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Just to keep an even handedness about this....

Regression #1 - Alan Faneca gone and replacement will come out of camp

Regression #2 - Return Units, Moore has done it, but, we're still lacking and unsure whether he's the answer or not.

Regression #3 - Coverage Units, unless, some players really stand out in camp as ST demons, I can't see this getting better

Regression #4 - Defensive Line, all are another year older after sub-par sesaons and injuries a year ago. Draft choices and depth haven't proven they're worth.

Regression #5 - Overall line play (offensive), they have to be better as a unit, and many positions are still in flux.

These may not actually be regressions, but areas of concern and uncertainty that could cause problems if they don't improve from last year.

Pappy
    Actually, I don't consider these to be regressions per se...they are, unfortunately, some of the same problems that plagued the Steelers last year...

The closest to a regression might be Faneca, but he didn't perform like the Faneca that we used to know last year...
    I actually stated the exact same thing that they may not be regressions, but, that they are areas of concern and uncertainty. Between STs, lack of depth at D-line and sporadic O-line play it cost the Steelers at least 2 games and probably a 3rd and one of them was a playoff game.

They need to improve in the areas I have listed as regressions, staying status quo won't get it done in my opinion.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have to concur with Pap.... staying sedentary in these areas of concern will only bury this team this year. We have to see improvements or our season is done before it even starts. I'm hopeful that this year will be different in those areas. It seems that ST is being addressed with some new blood being infused. The DL I think will be the most toughest area to keep fresh and competitive this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am hopeful that Hartwig will be a major improvement. I am hopeful that Kemo might turn some heads. I am also hopeful that Marvel and Aaron Smith...having them healthy will bring large dividends.

With that said, thats alot of being hopeful.
    Trolls are people too.