Thread: Bradshaw Clarifies Statement

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bradshaw Clarifies Statement

Bradshaw has come out and clarified his earlier statement and indeed he was using a corticosteroid rather than an anabolic one for control of infammation. Mike Florio however, doesn't seem willing to accept this explanation and it looks to me as if he's trying to justify his immediate claim of Bradshaw being a cheater by repeating the quote over and over. He should have just shut the F up as I suggested yesterday.

BRADSHAW CLARIFIES STEROIDS COMMENTS
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 25, 2008, 7:41 a.m.
    Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw (who is still, you know, not dead) clarified on Tuesday his recent remarks regarding steroid use during his career.

“I’m not bodybuilding here,” Bradshaw told the New York Daily News. “They were not those kind of steroids. They were anti-inflammatories.”

Bradshaw claims he took corticosteroids, an anti-inflammatory that is not a prohibited substance under NFL rules. He says he did not take anabolic steroids.

Fine, but let’s not lose sight of the realities of the era in which Bradshaw played. Using anabolic steroids wasn’t against the rules in the 1970s. Anabolic steroids weren’t even illegal then. The federal law rhat targets these compounds didn’t come into existence until 1990.

And though we hardly consider ourselves to be experts regarding the differences between the potential benefits of corticosteroids and anabolic steroids, Bradshaw’s initial reference on The Dan Patrick Show to the healing powers of the steroids Bradshaw took immediately reminded us of Mike Golic’s steroid use admission.

Let’s not lose sight of Bradshaw’s initial remark: “We did steroids to get away the aches and the speed of healing.”

“We did steroids.”

The Daily News gives our pal Dan Patrick (shameless plug alert – I’ll be on his show at 9:45 a.m. on Wednesday, at which time I’ll talk about my use of Claritin and Pepto-Bismol) a backhanded slap for not immediately requesting clarification from Bradshaw.

Um . . . “We did steroids.”

What clarification is needed?

“We did steroids.”

The only possible thing Patrick could have said at the time was, “Terry, are you saying that you and your teammates did steroids?” But, then again, we already had the answer.

“We did steroids.”

If Bradshaw was only referring to the still-permissible use of corticosteroids, is there any reason to say, “We did steroids”?

And so Bradshaw’s clarification will be accepted by the media, and we’ll all move forward pretending not to realize how rampant the use of anabolic steroids was in the NFL during the 1970s and 1980s, and how rampant is still might be today.

Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Times reported in July 2006 that 18 former Steelers from the 1970s and 1980s had died since 2000.

“We did steroids.”

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Bradshaw Clarifies Statement

...and we’ll all move forward pretending not to realize how rampant the use of anabolic steroids was in the NFL during the 1970s and 1980s, and how rampant is still might be today.
    So lets be clear here Flor-holio, even you acknowledge that it was the entire NFL. Granted Bradshaw is the latest to come out and admit it, but I don't see the need to continue to rail on Bradshaw alone, when it was a league wide issue.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wow, this guy Florio is a real dooshbag.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    ...and we’ll all move forward pretending not to realize how rampant the use of anabolic steroids was in the NFL during the 1970s and 1980s, and how rampant is still might be today.
    So lets be clear here Flor-holio, even you acknowledge that it was the entire NFL. Granted Bradshaw is the latest to come out and admit it, but I don't see the need to continue to rail on Bradshaw alone, when it was a league wide issue.
    Exactly what I was thinking Shiek. The guy is trying to have it both ways by slamming Bradshaw and acknowledging the league-wide problem (which he conveniently left out of yesterday's article). It's almost as if he's saying that Bradshaw must have been taking anabolic steroids because of the proliferation of use in the 70's and then he even cites the number of former Steeler players who have died young to indict the entire team. I used to really like Florio and have been reading his stuff since he contributed to NFLTalk.com years back, but this some of the most irresponsible "journalism" I've ever read.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If it wasn't banned at the time, how could of been illegal. I would guess that the Steelers weren't the only team doing this. Back then, weren't the long-term, negative effects of steriods unknown?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Wow, this guy Florio is a real dooshbag.
    Yup, . No reason sports journalism would be different than non-sports journalism though. It's all about creating conflict and then amplifying it as loud as can be. Has anyone watched those political shows on Fox news and CNN? There's no discussion of the issues, it's just trying to nail someone or another for something that probably is a non-isssue.

This guy, described accuraely by rpmpit, is just a sign of the times.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

This idiot is the reason I don't go to that site.

Legend

User Info Menu

He asked how Patrick should have clarified...hmm let me make a few suggestions.

1) Did you take the type of steroids that are now illegal in the NFL?
    2) Who is "we"?

That would have brought clarification to the statement. With that said, Bradshaw really must be a moron. I think one too many hits to the skull. Why make a comment like that? Was he high? Why implicate teammates with "we"? Did he not know that the media would tear this open and knaw it to the nub?

This reporter...yea he seems like a turd...obviously he hates Bradshaw...probably hates the Steelers but I'm more erked at Bradshaw. I mean why give your enemies ammo? It makes zero sense.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    He asked how Patrick should have clarified...hmm let me make a few suggestions.

1) Did you take the type of steroids that are now illegal in the NFL?
    2) Who is "we"?

That would have brought clarification to the statement. With that said, Bradshaw really must be a moron. I think one too many hits to the skull. Why make a comment like that? Was he high? Why implicate teammates with "we"? Did he not know that the media would tear this open and knaw it to the nub?

This reporter...yea he seems like a turd...obviously he hates Bradshaw...probably hates the Steelers but I'm more erked at Bradshaw. I mean why give your enemies ammo? It makes zero sense.

I thought the same thing. Why say anything?