Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bradshaw Admits to Steroid Use.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bradshaw Admits to Steroid Use.

Posted at PFT.

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/24/bradshaw-admits-to-steroid-use/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/ ... eroid-use/[/url]

BRADSHAW ADMITS TO STEROID USE
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 24, 2008, 9:07 a.m. EDT

In an admission that is almost as stunning as the absence of any meaningful mainstream media reaction to it, Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw admitted last week that he took steroids while playing pro football in the 1970s.

“We did steroids to get away the aches and the speed of healing,” Bradshaw said on The Dan Patrick Show. “My use of steroids from a doctor was to speed up injury, and [I] thought nothing of it. . . . It was to speed up the healing process, that was it. It wasn’t to get bigger and stronger and faster.”

But the problem is that plenty of players use and have used and will use steroids for the exact same reason. When Pats safety Rodney Harrison was popped last year for possession of HGH, he claimed he wasn’t cheating because he was only doing it to recover from an injury — ignoring the obvious reality that using banned substances to speed recovery from an injury is simply another form of cheating.

Bradshaw says that he took steroids with a doctor’s prescription. It’s irrelevant, in our view. Steroids are now widely viewed as proof of cheating, both in the days before and after they were officially banned by the NFL. Today, no player can use them, with or without a piece of paper with a squiggly line intended to reflect an approximation of a physician’s signature.

And Bradshaw’s use of the pronoun “we” reflects a recognition that he was hardly the only one using them. Meanwhile, Bradshaw has continued to earn a very nice living as a member of the mainstream media while previously not once offering up any frank and candid admission of his own use of the substances, or regarding his knowledge of the extent to which others were using it.

It’s unclear why Bradshaw opted for candor with Patrick. Maybe Dan is simply a damn good interviewer, who was able to get Bradshaw to talk about something he’d previously concealed. Either way, this is a big story, and it deserves a lot more play than it has received.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Bradshaw Admits to Steroid Use.

This is no big relevation or anything. And to me it wasn't "illegal" then and he obtained them "legally" so whatever. You know dumass fans of other teams will jump on it.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

how can something be cheating that was accepted at the time it was being done?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Talk about an over-reaction by Florio. Is this guy that oblivious to what went on back in the '70's? The use of steroids was rampant back then by many players for many reasons, so for him to sit behind his computer and cry cheating is at best irresponsible. Who knows what Bradshaw took, maybe it was Andro, or maybe it was some type of corticosteroid with a legitimate medical purpose (Shawn?). First, Florio pronounces Bradshaw dead and now he's a cheater...shut the F up dude.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    how can something be cheating that was accepted at the time it was being done?
    it's only cheating WHEN ti's agains the rules. otherwise, it's not.

Once upon a time dunking a basketball was against the rules... if you dunked when it was against the rules, you were penalized... if you dunked during another time period, you aren't.

Was Deacon Jones a cheater with his head slap? No... not unless he used it after they banned it.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller
    Posted at PFT.

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/24/bradshaw-admits-to-steroid-use/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/ ... eroid-use/[/url]

BRADSHAW ADMITS TO STEROID USE
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 24, 2008, 9:07 a.m. EDT

In an admission that is almost as stunning as the absence of any meaningful mainstream media reaction to it, Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw admitted last week that he took steroids while playing pro football in the 1970s.

“We did steroids to get away the aches and the speed of healing,” Bradshaw said on The Dan Patrick Show. “My use of steroids from a doctor was to speed up injury, and [I] thought nothing of it. . . . It was to speed up the healing process, that was it. It wasn’t to get bigger and stronger and faster.”

But the problem is that plenty of players use and have used and will use steroids for the exact same reason. When Pats safety Rodney Harrison was popped last year for possession of HGH, he claimed he wasn’t cheating because he was only doing it to recover from an injury — ignoring the obvious reality that using banned substances to speed recovery from an injury is simply another form of cheating.

Bradshaw says that he took steroids with a doctor’s prescription. It’s irrelevant, in our view. Steroids are now widely viewed as proof of cheating, both in the days before and after they were officially banned by the NFL. Today, no player can use them, with or without a piece of paper with a squiggly line intended to reflect an approximation of a physician’s signature.

And Bradshaw’s use of the pronoun “we” reflects a recognition that he was hardly the only one using them. Meanwhile, Bradshaw has continued to earn a very nice living as a member of the mainstream media while previously not once offering up any frank and candid admission of his own use of the substances, or regarding his knowledge of the extent to which others were using it.

It’s unclear why Bradshaw opted for candor with Patrick. Maybe Dan is simply a damn good interviewer, who was able to get Bradshaw to talk about something he’d previously concealed. Either way, this is a big story, and it deserves a lot more play than it has received.
    This guy Florio is an ignorant slut. Millions of people have been prescribed steroids by their physicians, that is not of interest in the least to anybody. This was and still is acceptable legally, and it was within the NFL rules at the time. Just because it isn't (within the NFL rules) now doesn't mean a thing. It's like saying because I drank when I was 18 years old (and the drinking age was 18 then) makes me a criminal because it's 21 years old now.

Geesh, that guy is a big maroon.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Twice I have had to take steroids for medical reasons. It is only a 5 day course. No big deal. It's not like he used them for weeks in his work out program.

On a funny side note, my 16 year old son is autistic. When he heard that I was going to take them, he told my wife that my muscles would be huge soon. Kind of cute in a way.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Backup

User Info Menu

Just another reason Roethlisberger is best QB in steeler history.

1) Ben doesn't take Steriods

2) Ben would have never been benched in favor of Joe gilliam

That being Said, Bradshaw is still my 3rd favorite Steeler of all time.

My short list

1) Roethlisberger (He's like a one man Gang)
    2) Lambert (Heart and Soul)
    3) Bradshaw (Was treated unfairly by fans)
    4) Swann (added Flair to championship team)
    5) Mean Joe Green (Probably the 2nd best player ever for the Steelers)
    6) Mel blount (they had to change the rules because of him)
    7) Rod Woodson (soo fast)
    8 ) Stallworth (dependable, with deep play capability)
    9) Bettis (for years he faced 9 man fronts without passing attack, and still got job done)
    10) Plaxico Burress (we didn't have a real legit passing game until he arrived)

Legend

User Info Menu

Very cool, MSM!
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Just another reason Roethlisberger is best QB in steeler history.

1) Ben doesn't take Steriods

2) Ben would have never been benched in favor of Joe gilliam

That being Said, Bradshaw is still my 3rd favorite Steeler of all time.

My short list

1) Roethlisberger (He's like a one man Gang)
    2) Lambert (Heart and Soul)
    3) Bradshaw (Was treated unfairly by fans)
    4) Swann (added Flair to championship team)
    5) Mean Joe Green (Probably the 2nd best player ever for the Steelers)
    6) Mel blount (they had to change the rules because of him)
    7) Rod Woodson (soo fast)
    8 ) Stallworth (dependable, with deep play capability)
    9) Bettis (for years he faced 9 man fronts without passing attack, and still got job done)
    10) Plaxico Burress (we didn't have a real legit passing game until he arrived)
    Plax and no Hines? Seriously? I think you are the only Steeler fan who feels this way. Ever.

By the way:
    Plaxico Burress' 2 best years in Pittsburgh? 78-1325-7 & 66-1008-6
    Yancey Thigpen's 2 best years in Pittsburgh? 79-1398-7 & 85-1307-5
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.