Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not fair to compare luckluster playoff games to Reg season

Not fair to compare luckluster playoff games to Reg season

When mentioning Carson Palmers' passer failings against teams like the Chiefs , 49ers, Etc etc last year, a question was brought to my attention.

Hey, what about Roethlisberger's failings against Jacksonville??

Yes, true he had a poor game. Well poor first half anyway. But comparing a QB's poor games in a PLAYOFF UNDERDOG ROLE, versus another QB playing as a FAVORITE in a Regular season game against the bottom feeders is not fair or accurate.

Case in point, here are some QB's , their passer ratings, and won / loss records when their team was a playoff underdog. How did they perform? here is your answer.

BRADY 5 GAMES TOTAL = 71% PASSER RATING RECORD 3-2

ROETH 3 GAMES TOTAL = 99% PASSER RATING RECORD 2-1

Pmann 5 GAMES TOTAL = 63% PASSER RATING RECORD 2-3

Montana 1 (since 86) = 34% passer rating RECORD 0-1

Marino 9 Games(86) = 71% Passer rating RECORD 3-6

ELWay 6 Games (86) = 61% Passer rating Record 1-4

Re: Not fair to compare luckluster playoff games to Reg season

Nice. I am just amazed at your ability to pull up stats. Keep them up please they make for an interesting read as always.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Yeah thanks MSM. That Peyton Manning number is so telling. Just think back in all those playoff games where he just got pummeled and sucked. It was fair to think he would never win a big one. Good thing they put it together that year or he would still be hearing it, god awful numbers....
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    When mentioning Carson Palmers' passer failings against teams like the Chiefs , 49ers, Etc etc last year, a question was brought to my attention.

Yes, true he had a poor game. Well poor first half anyway. But comparing a QB's poor games in a PLAYOFF UNDERDOG ROLE, versus another QB playing as a FAVORITE in a Regular season game against the bottom feeders is not fair or accurate.

Case in point, here are some QB's , their passer ratings, and won / loss records when their team was a playoff underdog. How did they perform? here is your answer.

If I could take any one QB in their prime on that list for a playoff game it would probably be Montana. Most people would probably agree with me because Manning chokes at times and Brady cheats.

It's interesting how he is the lowest rated QB on that list though. I think that speaks more about the inability of Passer Ratings to accurately rate QB's unless some kind of normalization is done than Montana's abilities.

When a QB doesn't throw as much or play in as many games as other QB's the Passer Rating System is ineffective to say the least. I would like to see the raw numbers (completion %, total passing yards, total # of TD's, total # of INT's, etc...). I think they would tell a better story of how the QB's did then just Passer Rating...

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Nice. I am just amazed at your ability to pull up stats. Keep them up please they make for an interesting read as always.
    Thanks. Some like it, some hate me for it though.

I have a database and I constantly work on Projects for the 4 major sports.
    When I come across stuf like this and kind of put two and two together, I make
    sure I remember it. It definately gives one a different outlook on things. Imagine
    me as Ben Roethlisberger's agent. Who could do a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112

If I could take any one QB in their prime on that list for a playoff game it would probably be Montana. Most people would probably agree with me because Manning chokes at times and Brady cheats.

It's interesting how he is the lowest rated QB on that list though. I think that speaks more about the inability of Passer Ratings to accurately rate QB's unless some kind of normalization is done than Montana's abilities.

When a QB doesn't throw as much or play in as many games as other QB's the Passer Rating System is ineffective to say the least. I would like to see the raw numbers (completion %, total passing yards, total # of TD's, total # of INT's, etc...). I think they would tell a better story of how the QB's did then just Passer Rating...
    Montana has only 1 game recorded within the stats I provided, I just couldn't go back any further than 86. So that passer rating is not fair to him. I'm sure it would be better. For example I believe he was a 1 point under dog against Dallas in 81. Im sure he played good in that game.

If your looking for a QB stat that trumps all other passing stats, its YARDS PER ATTEMPT. No other stat aligns with winning games more so then yards per pass attempt.

Agreed great reads. I also hope to see more of your weekly picks this season.

Pro Bowler

sure I remember it. It definately gives one a different outlook on things. Imagine
    It's good stuff, not sure why anyone would be hating on it (Except me of course)...

I don't think anyone hates you for the numbers...they are a welcome contribution to the board.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Maybe we need a thread on why people hate MSM? j/k.

I like the info he brings. You rarely see one of his threads being left with only one or two replies, and often see them extending multiple pages. There's a reason for that.

I have to admit that the side of sports he brings is foreign to me, so I like it.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!