Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TE Article--I hope Ben uses them

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: TE Article--I hope Ben uses them

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I can't really say that I was excited about picking up a second TE in the 3rd round. But, I seen Spaeth play back at Minnesota. He is a weapon that is for sure. I don't see anyone having a "monster" season. I see everyone having a good season. I see Ben having the luxury of being able to spread the ball around. I mean he will be able to throw to Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Mendenhall, Miller, and Spaeth. That is quite the crew. The Steelers have now surrounded their franchise QB with a proper supporting cast at the skill positions and that really excites me.
    At what expense? I hope none and that the STs and O-line make us all forget about last year. We'll see...

Pappy
    Good question Pap. I have wondered the same thing. The thing is...having that many weapons will certain mask some of the deficiencies on the OL. Teams will not be able to merely pin their ears back. I truely believe our OL will see more vanilla blitzes as teams have to drop more back into coverage. Ben might be the absolute best at throwing under pressure. I don't think any QB in the NFL does it as well as Ben.
    Ben is very good at escaping pressure and making a throw and I agree there isn't anyone in the NFL that does that better than Ben. Ben, however, is not the best passer under duress while being contained in the pocket. He doesn't locate the hot receiver quickly enough or the hot receiver doesn't get open quickly enough and, on occasion Ben just refuses to throw it away.

Sometimes it's better to live and fight another day.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I can't really say that I was excited about picking up a second TE in the 3rd round. But, I seen Spaeth play back at Minnesota. He is a weapon that is for sure. I don't see anyone having a "monster" season. I see everyone having a good season. I see Ben having the luxury of being able to spread the ball around. I mean he will be able to throw to Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Mendenhall, Miller, and Spaeth. That is quite the crew. The Steelers have now surrounded their franchise QB with a proper supporting cast at the skill positions and that really excites me.
    At what expense? I hope none and that the STs and O-line make us all forget about last year. We'll see...

Pappy

Good question Pap. I have wondered the same thing. The thing is...having that many weapons will certain mask some of the deficiencies on the OL. Teams will not be able to merely pin their ears back. I truely believe our OL will see more vanilla blitzes as teams have to drop more back into coverage. Ben might be the absolute best at throwing under pressure. I don't think any QB in the NFL does it as well as Ben.
    Ben is very good at escaping pressure and making a throw and I agree there isn't anyone in the NFL that does that better than Ben. Ben, however, is not the best passer under duress while being contained in the pocket. He doesn't locate the hot receiver quickly enough or the hot receiver doesn't get open quickly enough and, on occasion Ben just refuses to throw it away.

Sometimes it's better to live and fight another day.

Pappy
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Ben had 32 TD passes and like only 11 picks last season. In all my years watching football, I never saw another Steeler QB do that. In fact I don't even remember john Elway tossing 32 TD's n a year. maybe it happened , but I just don't recall it. Did Tom brady ever throw for more than 30 before Moss entered the picture? #2 TD's and 11 picks. Ben played as well as he could. He now needs the team to raise up their level of play. He had someone pressuring him on nearly every play last year. Very rare did I see Roethlisberger drop back and have time like Brady to scan the field. We expect Miracles from our QB. Even though he was second to Brady in just about every stat last year. But asking our RB to put the ball in the end zone more then twice, or have a little more consistenty from play to play is incomprehnsible to many.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Ben had 32 TD passes and like only 11 picks last season. In all my years watching football, I never saw another Steeler QB do that. In fact I don't even remember john Elway tossing 32 TD's n a year. maybe it happened , but I just don't recall it. Did Tom brady ever throw for more than 30 before Moss entered the picture? #2 TD's and 11 picks. Ben played as well as he could. He now needs the team to raise up their level of play. He had someone pressuring him on nearly every play last year. Very rare did I see Roethlisberger drop back and have time like Brady to scan the field. We expect Miracles from our QB. Even though he was second to Brady in just about every stat last year. But asking our RB to put the ball in the end zone more then twice, or have a little more consistenty from play to play is incomprehnsible to many.

It's mind boggling to me that Ben did as well as he did with all the pressure he had!!! Hell, he would get sacked 5 times in a game & praise his o-line. What a great teammate, IMO. Had Manning had to deal with that all he would of done is cried
    If Peyton had to our o-line to work with, could you imagine how many sacks would of been given up.

IMO, Ben is a God-send. Now, he has plenty of toys to play with. I'm hoping and praying that at Hartwig can produce at C, we can find good play at the LT position, and have another o-lineman have a unexpected results for us.

Starter

User Info Menu

to me, it's not so much of ben using them, it's arians using them...last year he couldn't use them because we had to keep them in to help block...

people don't really realize how stacked we are offensively...if our oline plays well and that's a big IF, we could put up a ton of points...
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    IMO, Ben is a God-send.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mshifko
    to me, it's not so much of ben using them, it's arians using them...last year he couldn't use them because we had to keep them in to help block...

people don't really realize how stacked we are offensively...if our oline plays well and that's a big IF, we could put up a ton of points...
    You make a fine point. There have been plenty of times the play calling left me scratching my head. If I can recall correctly, the Steelers were 1st and goal inside the 5 and they ran 3 running plays & we had to settle for a field goal. I think Ward was involved in a reverse that failed miserablely. Can anyone recall this situation?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Quote Originally Posted by mshifko

You make a fine point. There have been plenty of times the play calling left me scratching my head. If I can recall correctly, the Steelers were 1st and goal inside the 5 and they ran 3 running plays & we had to settle for a field goal. I think Ward was involved in a reverse that failed miserablely. Can anyone recall this situation?
    It wasn't a reverse where the flanker or WR veers into the backfield to take a deep hand off trying to get wide. If I'm thinking of the correct set of downs, Ward came in motion towards the inside and after Ben took the snap he slipped the ball to Ward on an inside hand off. Regardless, the play failed miserably.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Good article and I'm glad to hear Spaeth has had such a good spring.

As someone said, I believe it was SMG, the organization has definitely surrounded their franchise QB with playmakers. However, I'm worried about being able to keep them all happy. I believe with the addition of Sweed, our WR group will be very good, and our RB tandem & TE tandem could be hard to beat. Unfortunately, there are only so many passes to go around. Does anyone fear that if some of these young guys don't feel they get the ball enough they could opt to leave once their rookie contracts are up?

BIG FAN

When I first saw the thread, I was thinking we heard how much we were going to use them, but sometimes last year ,
    (even though as a whole the TE production was up ) I still felt like they were under-utilised. I believe also that some play-calling was suspect as well.
    Where is the common ground here about TE anyways? With all the touted new weapons Ben is supposed to have this year, how many times can we actually give it the TE's?