Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TE Article--I hope Ben uses them

Legend

User Info Menu

TE Article--I hope Ben uses them

I think Miller and Spaeth could have monster seasons. Who on any defense could stop boith of them? I hope Ben matures and tempers his impulse to throw deep and uses both these guys as the weapons they can be.

Contrary to the naysayers, Spaeth was an outstanding selection and this year he really proves it. As the article mentions everyone conveniently forgets that he was coming off shoulder surgery. Now healthy he will be a monster.

Big Spring for the Big TE
    By Jim Wexell

Posted Jun 23, 2008

One of the most productive Steelers this spring was 6-foot-7 tight end Matt Spaeth, who tells Jim Wexell why he feels so confident about improving on his rookie season this year.

The Steelers committed to throwing to the tight end last season, and they did. The cumulative numbers in 2006 were smashed in 2007 -- by Heath Miller himself.
    Miller caught 47 passes last season for 566 yards and 7 touchdowns. The corps in 2006 caught 41 passes for 466 yards and 6 touchdowns.

The rest of the Steelers’ tight ends didn’t help the totals much last season. Third-round rookie Matt Spaeth started with three touchdowns among his first four catches, but he caught only one more pass – against the New York Jets – the rest of the season.

Spaeth finished his rookie season with 5 catches for 34 yards and 3 touchdowns. He bettered that output the first week, maybe the first day, of spring drills.

“A year makes a huge difference,” said Spaeth. “In college, I hate to say it, but very rarely did I drop balls. And when I got here last year I was frustrated because I was dropping balls. But it’s such an adjustment that first year because you’re learning everything new, especially early, and everything’s happening faster, the ball’s there faster. Now I’m so much more confident in everything. Everything has slowed down and everything’s so much easier.”

Spaeth said that while he caught only one pass for six yards in the final 12 regular-season games, and one pass for seven yards in the playoffs, he wasn’t slumping.

“I was probably playing better towards the end of the year,” he said. “I didn’t have the catches, but there’s a lot more to the game than that. I was blocking better. I knew all my assignments a lot better towards the end of the year.” After a slow start, Spaeth arguably developed into the best blocker among the Steelers’ tight ends last season. But Spaeth won’t say that.

“I don’t want to say that because Heath is an all-around great player,” he said. “I’ve learned a lot from him in both aspects of being a tight end – blocking and receiving. Heath’s solid in every aspect. And I know my role. I’ve got to be there when the opportunities are given to catch the ball, but as of now I understand my role, which is going to be more of a run-blocking tight end.”

What about it Heath? Was Spaeth a better blocker last season?

Miller chuckled. “I don’t know,” he said. “I think Matt’s a good blocker. I definitely try to learn from him because from Day One, when he stepped on the field, I knew he was really sound fundamentally and is someone who’d be good to watch, for me just to kind of check myself on because his footwork’s always good, his leverage is always good, his hands are always good, so I just try to learn from him and stay on top of my game.”

“I think a lot of it has to do with how you study the film,” Spaeth said. “It’s a little different from college to now. At first I was worried about technique. I would watch film and say, ‘I’ve got to do this on this play. I’m responsible for blocking this guy in this look,’ or something like that. And then later on in the year you’d know that, so now you’re studying your opponent saying, ‘He likes to play this block this way, or this thing this way.’ You kind of get a better understanding.”

Were the coaches pleased?

“Yeah,” Spaeth said. “Everything I got from them, postseason and now, was positive, and now I’m going out and trying to prove myself every down so my role will only be expanded.”

Spaeth, at 6-7, 270 pounds, is representative of the target size the Steelers presented to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger this spring. He’s one of four tight ends who are 6-5 or taller.

“I’m trying to still improve on my run-blocking, even though I’m not trying to put on weight or size,” Spaeth said. “I think I’m carrying my weight a lot better this year, because I came out last season and didn’t really have an offseason. I came off of a reconstructive shoulder surgery and I really didn’t do much training. Because of it I was laid up for three months not doing anything. I had another surgery before that, so this is kind of like the first real offseason I’ve had in a long time, so I’m excited to see the results with all the hard work I’m putting into it.”

Does Spaeth have a goal this season?

“I never have a goal as far as catches,” he said. “My only goal is to have a great year run-blocking and then, with every opportunity that I’m given, to make the most of catching the ball.”
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: TE Article--I hope Ben uses them

I liked Spaeth as a prospect last year, and I think we have a heck of a good duo now. I was projecting Spaeth to the Steelers in, say, the 5th round last year instead of the 3rd, but still, he is on our roster now, and I look forward to them trying to take advantage of his talents now that he has a year under his belt and should be fully healed.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I liked Spaeth as a prospect last year, and I think we have a heck of a good duo now. I was projecting Spaeth to the Steelers in, say, the 5th round last year instead of the 3rd, but still, he is on our roster now, and I look forward to them trying to take advantage of his talents now that he has a year under his belt and should be fully healed.
    I really don't think Spaeth would have lasted until the 5th. I really side on the philosophy if you really like a player for your team you take them when they are available instead of hoping to get them later.

Legend

User Info Menu

I can't really say that I was excited about picking up a second TE in the 3rd round. But, I seen Spaeth play back at Minnesota. He is a weapon that is for sure. I don't see anyone having a "monster" season. I see everyone having a good season. I see Ben having the luxury of being able to spread the ball around. I mean he will be able to throw to Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Mendenhall, Miller, and Spaeth. That is quite the crew. The Steelers have now surrounded their franchise QB with a proper supporting cast at the skill positions and that really excites me.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I can't really say that I was excited about picking up a second TE in the 3rd round. But, I seen Spaeth play back at Minnesota. He is a weapon that is for sure. I don't see anyone having a "monster" season. I see everyone having a good season. I see Ben having the luxury of being able to spread the ball around. I mean he will be able to throw to Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Mendenhall, Miller, and Spaeth. That is quite the crew. The Steelers have now surrounded their franchise QB with a proper supporting cast at the skill positions and that really excites me.
    On the money smg. I think the one guy on offense who's going to have a monster season is #7. The players around him will all contribute but I can't see a one guy being completely dominant.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    On the money smg. I think the one guy on offense who's going to have a monster season is #7. The players around him will all contribute but I can't see a one guy being completely dominant.
    Ben certainly has the supporting cast. This should be a career year for him...well if he can stay off his back.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

At what expense? I hope none and that the STs and O-line make us all forget about last year. We'll see...

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    At what expense? I hope none and that the STs and O-line make us all forget about last year. We'll see...

Pappy
    Good question Pap. I have wondered the same thing. The thing is...having that many weapons will certain mask some of the deficiencies on the OL. Teams will not be able to merely pin their ears back. I truely believe our OL will see more vanilla blitzes as teams have to drop more back into coverage. Ben might be the absolute best at throwing under pressure. I don't think any QB in the NFL does it as well as Ben.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy
    Ben can control the sacks as much as his OL. He needs to dump the ball to secondary receivers instead of trying to extend every play into an ESPN highlight. The TEs are the ones who Ben can use to help himself. Miller and Spaeth are good receivers who are tough for most LBs to cover. Use them and get the LBs chasing them. Those LBs then can't be used to blitz. It is all connected.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Spaeth was a reach. No doubt. I believe the Steelers misjudged his skill set a bit. Immediately after the draft, Arians was going on and on about Spaeth's speed. Dude runs well for his size, but he is not a guy that beats safteties down the seam as Arians intimated he would.

But, perhaps he'll turn into a valuable weapon. And, if anything happens to Heath, he should be ready to step in this year and contribute.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.