Re: Steelers Rushing Rankings per down per play 2004-2007

[quote=Mr Smartmonies]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":3e1hfxxk
    Pass attempts per season (Ben only):

2004 - 295
    2005 - 268
    2006 - 469
    2007 - 404

It's not just about taking carries away from Parker, it's about taking carries away from the running game as a whole.
    I just don't know how to phrase "value per play" any other way to get you to understand. Your either in complete denial or you really just don't understand.

first off, were talking about Willie Parker. He had more carries per game then anyone in pro football. So pleeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeeee stop saying he doesn't get ample opportunity! It's ridiculous! How many more carries does he need? His value per play is just not acceptable.[/quote:3e1hfxxk]

I see what you're saying and I think the best and most common way to term it would be average yards per carry on those downs. You're absolutely right, any increase in pass attempts isn't going to decrease the effectiveness of his carries, unless of course someone is trying to imply that a decrease in rush attempts doesn't allow a running back to get into a groove...which is clearly not the case with Willie.
    I would say however that this is an indictment of our offensive line more than anything else. I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Parker is not a chain-mover who can grind out the tough yards between the tackles or in short yardage situations. It's no slam on him, because he's never been that type of back. What is mind-numbing is that Arians kept on trying to make him that guy last year rather than putting him more on the edge. We probably would have been better served mixing in more Dookie or Russell behind that line with their obvious blocking problems (not that Davenport is anything to get excited about or that Russell has proven he can get it done).

I admit to not knowing enough about Mendenhall when we drafted him and didn't think was all that adept in the power running game, but obviously he's got a full tool box. As I said earlier, his addition along with Hartwig and the progress of our passing game promises to improve on those averages.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Mr Smartmonies]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":27mxhpa0
    Pass attempts per season (Ben only):

2004 - 295
    2005 - 268
    2006 - 469
    2007 - 404

It's not just about taking carries away from Parker, it's about taking carries away from the running game as a whole.
    I just don't know how to phrase "value per play" any other way to get you to understand. Your either in complete denial or you really just don't understand.

first off, were talking about Willie Parker. He had more carries per game then anyone in pro football. So pleeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeeee stop saying he doesn't get ample opportunity! It's ridiculous! How many more carries does he need? His value per play is just not acceptable.[/quote:27mxhpa0]

I understand completely and I still disagree with you. Defenses played us primarily to stop the run...regardless of who was in the backfield. Even when Ben was throwing all over them they played run first believing that Ben can't beat them through the air. Ben's pass attempts went up meaning fewer opportunities to run. And when we did try to run teams were there to stop it...because they were playing run first.

As long as teams continue to play us run first I believe you will see this trend continue...with the roster as it is now. Back in the days of Bettis' prime it didn't matter...we had an O line that could blow people up and a back that could usually make his own holes.

Once more, in typical MSM fashion you want to blame the O line solely for Ben's sacks yet blame Parker solely for the woes in the running game.

Backup

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d][quote="Mr Smartmonies":3kt66u07][quote="stlrz d":3kt66u07]Pass attempts per season (Ben only):

2004 - 295
    2005 - 268
    2006 - 469
    2007 - 404

It's not just about taking carries away from Parker, it's about taking carries away from the running game as a [i]whole[/i].[/quote]

first off, were talking about Willie Parker. He had more carries per game then anyone in pro football. So pleeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeeee stop saying he doesn't get ample opportunity! It's ridiculous! How many more carries does he need? His value per play is just not acceptable.[/quote:3kt66u07]

I understand completely and I still disagree with you. Defenses played us primarily to stop the run...regardless of who was in the backfield. Even when Ben was throwing all over them they played run first believing that Ben can't beat them through the air. Ben's pass attempts went up meaning fewer opportunities to run. And when we did try to run teams were there to stop it...because they were playing run first.

As long as teams continue to play us run first I believe you will see this trend continue...with the roster as it is now. Back in the days of Bettis' prime it didn't matter...we had an O line that could blow people up and a back that could usually make his own holes.

Once more, in typical MSM fashion you want to blame the O line solely for Ben's sacks yet blame Parker solely for the woes in the running game.[/quote:3kt66u07]

So when Jacksonville rushed 3 and 4 people and dropped everyelse back into coverage in the playoff game, they were still playing run first?

WHERE IN THE HELL DO U GET THIS IDEA THAT TEAMS FEEL BEN CAN'T BEAT THEM? please god stop this NONSENSE ALREADY. THEY DON'T PLAY US LIKE THE VIKINGS. BEN SEES COVER 2 EVERY SINGLE GAME! HE HAD 32 TD PASSES LAST YEAR. PARKER HAD 2. RAY LEWIS SAID "PARKER IS FRAUD." " A FRAUD"

AND WE WERE TIED FOR THIRD MOST CARRIES IN PRO FOOTBALL LAST YEAR! WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. HOW MANY OPPORTUNITIES DO YOU NEED?

[url="http://www.statfox.com/nfl/offstats~season~~sortby~ra~stype~.htm"]http://www.statfox.com/nfl/offstats~sea ... stype~.htm[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

2006: Ben - 18 TD; FWP - 13 TD; Total Ben pass and FWP rush TD - 31

2007: Ben - 32 TD; FWP - 2 TD; Total Ben pass and FWP rush TD - 34

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

Here I got one more for ya.

2006 & 2007

BEN = 50 TD'S

PARKER = 15

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Mr Smartmonies]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":1teem06w

2006 & 2007

BEN = 50 TD'S

PARKER = 15[/quote:1teem06w]

The point I was making is the correlation. In 2006 the numbers were more balanced. In 2007 Ben threw more (many more) TDs than he did in 2006. That greatly reduced the number of TD opportunities for ANY of the RBs on the squad.

Backup

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d][quote="Mr Smartmonies":3k658l08]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":3k658l08

2006 & 2007

BEN = 50 TD'S

PARKER = 15[/quote:3k658l08]

The point I was making is the correlation. In 2006 the numbers were more balanced. In 2007 Ben threw more (many more) TDs than he did in 2006. That greatly reduced the number of TD opportunities for ANY of the RBs on the squad.[/quote:3k658l08]

In 2006 the Steelers had 29.5 rushes a game.

in 2007 the Steelers had 31.5 rushes a game.

And when you scan back to the top of this thread and see the Steelers were ranked 26th for rushing in the Red Zone , that is based on efficiency. Its based on how well they did running the ball inside the redzone per opportunity.That's why I said your missing the point. You are unable to grasp the efficiency angle.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Mr Smartmonies][quote="stlrz d":2j5v643e][quote="Mr Smartmonies":2j5v643e]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":2j5v643e

2006 & 2007

BEN = 50 TD'S

PARKER = 15[/quote:2j5v643e]

The point I was making is the correlation. In 2006 the numbers were more balanced. In 2007 Ben threw more (many more) TDs than he did in 2006. That greatly reduced the number of TD opportunities for ANY of the RBs on the squad.[/quote:2j5v643e]

And when you scan back to the top of this thread and see the Steelers were ranked 26th for rushing in the Red Zone , that is based on efficiency. Its based on how well they did running the ball inside the redzone per opportunity.That's why I said your missing the point. You are unable to grasp the efficiency angle.[/quote:2j5v643e]

I am curious but what was the efficiency of the passing game in the red zone? There may be a direct correlation and there are other factors to consider. Like how many times they were in the redzone ect ect. I guess most of the issues go back to the inconsistancies of the Oline.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Mr Smartmonies][quote="stlrz d":3e02otvz][quote="Mr Smartmonies":3e02otvz]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":3e02otvz

2006 & 2007

BEN = 50 TD'S

PARKER = 15[/quote:3e02otvz]

The point I was making is the correlation. In 2006 the numbers were more balanced. In 2007 Ben threw more (many more) TDs than he did in 2006. That greatly reduced the number of TD opportunities for ANY of the RBs on the squad.[/quote:3e02otvz]

And when you scan back to the top of this thread and see the Steelers were ranked 26th for rushing in the Red Zone , that is based on efficiency. Its based on how well they did running the ball inside the redzone per opportunity.That's why I said your missing the point. You are unable to grasp the efficiency angle.[/quote:3e02otvz]

I understand the efficiency angle and I also think there is more to it than just the numbers...like the situations. The red zone is from the 20 YL in. What was the down and distance for those red zone attempts? What was the offensive formation? What was the defensive formation? Was there an audible? Were there missed assignments? What were the plays called? It goes beyond just the numbers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

MSM quoting Ray Lewis does nothing for your credibility.
    he also said he didn't kill anyone.