Thread: Jerry Jones' fleecing of Phil Savage, pick by pick

Legend

User Info Menu

Jerry Jones' fleecing of Phil Savage, pick by pick

I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone, and it pains me to give Jerry Jones any credit, but here goes:

In the past two drafts, there have been FOUR draft day trades between Dallas and Cleveland (apparently Jones the savvy businessman knows a sucker when he sees one, so he's gone back to the Cleveland well numerous times over the past 2 years).

The most celebrated one was the deal that sent an '07 2nd rounder (36) and an '08 1st rounder (which turned out to be 22) for Dallas' '07 1st rounder (22) which they used to take QB Brady Quinn.

Also that year, they gave up an '07 3rd rounder (67), an '07 4th rounder (103), and an '07 6th rounder (17 for Dallas' '07 2nd rounder (53), which they used to take CB Eric Wright.

This year, they gave up their '08 4th rounder (122) and '08 5th rounder (155) for Dallas' '08 4th rounder (104) which they used to take LB Beau Bell.

They also gave up an '09 3rd rounder (TBD) for Dallas' other '08 4th rounder (111) which they used to take TE Martin Rucker.

To sum up, the Browns got the following from the Cowboys:

1 (22) in '07
    2 (53) in '07
    4 (104) in '08
    4 (111) in '08

The Cowboys got the following from the Browns:

1 (22) in '08
    2 (36) in '07
    3 (67) in '07
    3 (TBD) in '09
    4 (103) in '07
    4 (122) in '08
    5 (155) in '08
    6 (17 in '08

And this is not even mentioning the '08 2nd rounder and '08 3rd rounder (plus CB Leigh Bodden) that they traded away to Green Bay and Detroit in the Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers deals.

Ladies and gentlemen, your off-season champion Cleveland Browns!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Jerry Jones' fleecing of Phil Savage, pick by pick

The browns have been going in the right direction recently but Savage took a huge risk with these deals. If the formula doesn't work this season (Which it won't) then they are screwed for the next several years because they won't have many draft picks to improve the team...

BIG FAN

Wow. I knew the stains had given up a lot of picks to the cryboys, but I didn't realize just how many. These wern't trades, this was rape.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112

The browns have been going in the right direction recently but Savage took a huge risk with these deals. If the formula doesn't work this season (Which it won't) then they are screwed for the next several years because they won't have many draft picks to improve the team...
    Mutual hatred for the Cleveland Browns...it's what brings Steeler fans and Bengal fans together!

(Of course, mutual hatred for the Bengals is what brings Steeler fans and Brown fans together too, but that's another story )

I'd mention the Ravens too, but I don't think that there is quite the same Cincy-Baltimore rivalry as there is between the Ravens & Browns and Ravens & Steelers (aside from Marvin Lewis having coached in both Cincy and Baltimore...plus Pittsburgh too!).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112

Mutual hatred for the Cleveland Browns...it's what brings Steeler fans and Bengal fans together!

(Of course, mutual hatred for the Bengals is what brings Steeler fans and Brown fans together too, but that's another story )

I'd mention the Ravens too, but I don't think that there is quite the same Cincy-Baltimore rivalry as there is between the Ravens & Browns and Ravens & Steelers (aside from Marvin Lewis having coached in both Cincy and Baltimore...plus Pittsburgh too!).
    Good point, that enemy of my enemy b.s.
    As a lifelong Steeler fan, I get torn having to pull (not root) for the bungles in inter-division play. It does not matter about standings, I just despise the stains a little less than the non-winning bungles. Trouble is it usually doesn't work out that way, you guys let them out of the bag last year and didn't do anything about it later!
    What's up with that!
    The stains made your guys the mockery of the AFC NORTH. EARLY.
    Before you say it everyone knew the Ravens suxed.