Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts, Comments, Or Opinions About Our 2008 Schedule?...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thoughts, Comments, Or Opinions About Our 2008 Schedule?...

Alright, the football/Steeler news is slow... Very slow right now. ... So I've found myself analyzing and dissecting our upcoming schedule. Many issues are obvious, and some are just opinions... But there's not much else to dissect at the present time. Yes, I know... It's hard to say about how well various teams will perform once the season starts, but everyone must have some pre-conceived notions about what we will be faced with... At least have some observations or comments.

So what are YOUR thoughts, comments, or opinions about our schedule, or the rest of the division for that matter? Let's hear 'em!.....

Baltimore Ravens:
    9/7 ...CINCINNATI ...1:00
    9/14 ...at Houston ...4:15
    9/21 ...CLEVELAND ...4:15
    9/29 ...at Pittsburgh ...8:30
    10/5 ...TENNESSEE ...1:00
    10/12 ...at Indianapolis ...1:00
    10/19 ...at Miami ...1:00
    10/26 ...OAKLAND ...1:00
    11/2 ...at Cleveland ...1:00
    11/9 ...BYE WEEK
    11/16 ...at N.Y. Giants ...1:00
    11/23 ...PHILADLEPHIA ...1:00
    11/30 ...at Cincinnati ...1:00
    12/7 ...WASHINGTON ...1:00
    12/14 ...PITTSBURGH ...1:00
    12/20 ...at Dallas ...8:15
    12/28 ...JACKSONVILLE ...1:00

Cincinnati Bengals:
    9/7 ...at Baltimore ...1:00
    9/14 ...TENNESSEE ...1:00
    9/21 ...at N.Y. Giants ...1:00
    9/28 ...CLEVELAND ...1:00
    10/5 ...at Dallas ...4:15
    10/12 ...at N.Y. Jets ...1:00
    10/19 ...PITTSBURGH ...1:00
    10/26 ...BYE WEEK
    11/2 ...JACKSONVILLE ...1:00
    11/9 ...at Houston ...1:00
    11/16 ...PHILADELPHIA ...1:00
    11/20 ...at Pittsburgh ...8:15
    11/30 ...BALTIMORE ...1:00
    12/7 ...at Indianapolis ...1:00
    12/14 ...WASHINGTON ...1:00
    12/21 ...at Cleveland ...1:00
    12/28 ...KANSAS CITY ...1:00

Cleveland Browns:
    9/7 ...DALLAS ...4:15
    9/14 ...PITTSBURGH ...8:15
    9/21 ...at Baltimore ...4:15
    9/29 ...at Cincinnati ...1:00
    10/5 ...BYE WEEK
    10/13 ...N.Y. GIANTS ...8:30
    10/19 ...at Washington ...4:15
    10/26 ...at Jacksonville ...4:05
    11/2 ...BALTIMORE ...1:00
    11/6 ...DENVER ...8:15
    11/17 ...at Buffalo ...8:30
    11/23 ...HOUSTON ...1:00
    11/30 ...INDIANAPOLIS ...1:00
    12/7 ...at Tennessee ...1:00
    12/15 ...at Philadelphia ...8:30
    12/21 ...CINCINNATI ...1:00
    12/28 ...at Pittsburgh ...1:00

-We only have five 1pm games, and three of them are subject to "flex scheduling".

-The Steelers will honor the memory of Myron Cope before the home opener on Sept 7th.

-The Browns schedule features the same opponents as ours with two exceptions... Cleveland plays Buffalo instead of New England, and Denver instead of San Diego.

-The only two teams on the '08 schedule that had losing records last season were division opponents Baltimore and Cincinnati.

-Eight of our games are against teams that made the playoffs last season.

-We will face 4 of the top 5 passers in '07.

-The two most recent Super Bowl champions are on the schedule.

-Five prime-time games: 2 on Sundays, 2 on Mondays, and 1 on Thursday.

-Only one national telecast during pre-season... Tough for anyone outside of the 'Burgh.

-I see our month of December being quite brutal, just as it was last season.

-November is a close second in "brutality" level.

-Cincinnati could very well be 1-5 or 0-6 when we first see them in October...

-Many more 1pm games for our divisional foes (I love 1pm games). But winning teams end up playing in prime-time, so it goes with the territory.

-I can see us starting another losing streak for Baltimore when we face them in December, thus ending thier season on a sour note.

-With a tough schedule, I do NOT rule out any of our divisional opponents to remain in the running throughout the season.

-Many "high-profile" players will set foot on Heinz Field this year: Eli Manning, Plaxico Burress, Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeny, LaDanian Tomlinson, Shawne Merriman, Tony Romo, Terrell Owens, and DeMarcus Ware.

-The final game is against Cleveland, and it just might decide the division winner.

-We have three games this season the day following a Pitt Panther home game. Hou Sept 7th, Giants Oct 26th, Indy Nov 9th.... Not sure about the WPIAL H.S. Playoff schedule... "Rain, rain, go away..."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Thoughts, Comments, Or Opinions About Our 2008 Schedule?...

Man, you have analyzed a few things! I think the schedule lays out perfect for us to be honest. Consider...

We get the softest part of our schedule right out of the gates while we start to gel and develop an identity.

By the time we wrap up the season we're going to know exactly who we are and this team will be battle-tested like no other in the league.

There are no games which are to be played west of Tennessee, which given our track record in years past is a serious blessing. I find it ironic that we only have five 1PM games considering this and I'm with you in hating those 4 O'clock starts...I always wind up passed out at 8 from all of the beer consumption.

Everyone in the division has roughly the same schedule. As long as we take care of business against the Rats, Stains, and Bungles, I see no reason why we wouldn't repeat as AFC North champs and we all know once the playoffs begin, anything can happen.

Lastly, the NFL is so unpredictable that it's difficult to tell just how good teams are going to be from one year to the next. When it's all said and done this schedule could wind up being far less brutal than anyone anticipated. There's not a team on that schedule that anyone can say is definitively more talented than the Black-n-Gold, to include the Pasteriks. We have a top-three quarterback and more offensive weaponry than any other team in the league. If the number one defense from '07 shows up to the party I think we all have a very good chance of celebrating a sixth Lombardi. Who knows how it'll all unfold, but there is no doubt that the potential is there to make a run.

Backup

User Info Menu

I sometimes worry more about games against titans, Ravens , and Jags. Then i do against the More Marquee teams. For me its about how well the Steelers match up physically. No question the skill players are in abundance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Man, you have analyzed a few things! I think the schedule lays out perfect for us to be honest. Consider...

We get the softest part of our schedule right out of the gates while we start to gel and develop an identity.

By the time we wrap up the season we're going to know exactly who we are and this team will be battle-tested like no other in the league.

There are no games which are to be played west of Tennessee, which given our track record in years past is a serious blessing. I find it ironic that we only have five 1PM games considering this and I'm with you in hating those 4 O'clock starts...I always wind up passed out at 8 from all of the beer consumption.

Everyone in the division has roughly the same schedule. As long as we take care of business against the Rats, Stains, and Bungles, I see no reason why we wouldn't repeat as AFC North champs and we all know once the playoffs begin, anything can happen.

Lastly, the NFL is so unpredictable that it's difficult to tell just how good teams are going to be from one year to the next. When it's all said and done this schedule could wind up being far less brutal than anyone anticipated. There's not a team on that schedule that anyone can say is definitively more talented than the Black-n-Gold, to include the Pasteriks. We have a top-three quarterback and more offensive weaponry than any other team in the league. If the number one defense from '07 shows up to the party I think we all have a very good chance of celebrating a sixth Lombardi. Who knows how it'll all unfold, but there is no doubt that the potential is there to make a run.
    I'm not sure if the schedule lays out "perfectly" in my opinion Fla, but I do welcome a challenge, and am not complaining at all about it in any way... As far as being "battle-tested", that is what scares me the most to be honest with you... We were in the same position going down the stretch last season and laid an egg. Injuries will be critical in this situation once again.

...I never noticed the "west of Tenn" issue... GOOD ONE!!!.... As you said, we do not seem to do well on the west coast... While our two first 1pm games (Hou, Cin) are gonna be set, our last three games of the season are 1pm and are subject to the flex... (Balt, Tenn, Cle)... I doubt the Balt game would change. But possibly the Tenn and more probably the Cle game would be flexed... Leaving us with only 3 or 4 1pm games...

Personally, I think only Cleveland has a schedule like ours.... Baltimore and Cincy seem to be much easier pairings, but that's just me... But you are absolutely right. Anything can, and probably will happen. Teams and circumstances change, so it will invariably change the outlook of our schedule.

My point is nothing more than analyzing the schedule and pointing out any and all factoids and trivia about it, so please add more to the list... Man, I am SO bored at this point of the off-season... I will once again say that I think our December is gonna be rough, and November runs a close second, IMO....

Starter

User Info Menu

You have to beat the best to be the best.

I normally love the 1PM (10AM PST), games, but this year with winter league baseball and travel ball for the young one on Sundays, it means I won't have to miss many of his games.

In reality I will probably using the DVR for the first time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    I sometimes worry more about games against titans, Ravens , and Jags. Then i do against the More Marquee teams. For me its about how well the Steelers match up physically. No question the skill players are in abundance.
    Baltimore is always a good game IMO... Throw the records out in this matchup... It's always physical!

Tenn, and Jax are probably gonna be good again this season as well... Another issue to look at as we go thru the season is "wins against common opponents". These two will be of utmost importance I think.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sd steel
    You have to beat the best to be the best.

I normally love the 1PM (10AM PST), games, but this year with winter league baseball and travel ball for the young one on Sundays, it means I won't have to miss many of his games.

In reality I will probably using the DVR for the first time.
    Yes, we gotta beat the best. In reality, we gotta beat everyone. And that's the way it should be...

...Good luck trying to avoid the scores (if you do it that way). For me, it's always been anticlimactic to view the games later, other than to see all the individual plays so as to be knowledgable enough to comment on the game after the fact...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

...At least they balanced out our Monday night "follow-ups"... First one, at home against Baltimore then on the road at Jax (same time zone)... Second one, at Washington then home against Indy..... I can recall playing a Monday night game then going cross-country for a Sunday game more than once, I think...

...Every game in November will be "under the lights" and in darkness due to the time change in the fall...

...Both games on either side of the bye week are on the road, so no extra time at home.

...Only two games on FOX, NBC, and ESPN each...

...With the exception of New England, all the "marque" teams will be faced at home (Giants, Indy, San Diego, Dallas).

...Final game against Cleveland will also be at home (again, I really think this one could be the deciding factor for the division, so I'm glad it's at home).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

I'm not sure if the schedule lays out "perfectly" in my opinion Fla, but I do welcome a challenge, and am not complaining at all about it in any way... As far as being "battle-tested", that is what scares me the most to be honest with you... We were in the same position going down the stretch last season and laid an egg. Injuries will be critical in this situation once again.

...I never noticed the "west of Tenn" issue... GOOD ONE!!!.... As you said, we do not seem to do well on the west coast... While our two first 1pm games (Hou, Cin) are gonna be set, our last three games of the season are 1pm and are subject to the flex... (Balt, Tenn, Cle)... I doubt the Balt game would change. But possibly the Tenn and more probably the Cle game would be flexed... Leaving us with only 3 or 4 1pm games...

Personally, I think only Cleveland has a schedule like ours.... Baltimore and Cincy seem to be much easier pairings, but that's just me... But you are absolutely right. Anything can, and probably will happen. Teams and circumstances change, so it will invariably change the outlook of our schedule.

My point is nothing more than analyzing the schedule and pointing out any and all factoids and trivia about it, so please add more to the list... Man, I am SO bored at this point of the off-season... I will once again say that I think our December is gonna be rough, and November runs a close second, IMO....
    I'm not sure if I could uncover anymore meaningful minutia about our schedule if I tried. As far as that stretch run last year, I think it was a combination of injuries (as you alluded), the fact that we were in the first year with a new staff, and the holes we had in both lines. Obviously the offensive line was a huge problem and because we couldn't pound the rock between the tackles it robbed us of the ability to control the clock and keep the defense fresh. I really believe that is going to be an improved area for the team next season (or do we now refer to it as this season?) as well as our pass rush, which I see really taking off.

While I whole-heartedly agree with SD's sentiment about having to beat the best to be the best, no team has ever won a championship in this league by beating anyone in the regular season. That said, when you get the chance to see all of the possible contenders you'll face in the playoff race, you get a chance to see how they adjust to what you're doing and how they approach down and distance scenarios vs. your players. Look at the Colts' game in '05 for example. We got pretty much thrashed in that game, but what we took away from it was invaluable in defeating them in the playoffs. I don't believe there's any way we beat them without that first game under our belts.

Win or lose, these games are going to be critical for our post-season success and all we need to do is wind up with more wins than those punk-ass teams in our own division. Cincy & Crackmore may have a slightly easier route but they have significantly worse teams to try to get there with. Cleveland has way too many problems on defense in my opinion, so it all comes back to what you said about injuries. If we stay healthy, we'll be in the mix at the end and that schedule is going to prove to be a key factor in our success either way.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm of the mindset that regardless of the schedule you play that if you're a bad team you'll probably only win 0-6 games; if you're an average team you'll win 7-9 games, if you're a good team you'll win 10-13 games and if you're an elite team you can win 14-16 games.

If the Steelers are a good team they will win between 10 and 13 games regardless of the schedule, otherwise they aren't a good team and some other number comes into play.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount