Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts, Comments, Or Opinions About Our 2008 Schedule?...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Thoughts, Comments, Or Opinions About Our 2008 Schedule?...

On a personal note, I like the schedule because there will be ALOT of games on national TV. Thanks to so many 4pm starts and the not many schedule conflicts with the Colts, there are only 5 games all year that will not be televised in my area (I think). Therefore, I will not have to go out to a sportsbar and watch the game & I can save $30. And, I will be at one of these game that wont be televised (Cincy) in my area so that means I only have to go out to a bar 4 times all year!!

I don't understand when people complain out how hard our schedule is & how easy the Pats schedule is. The schedule is made out about 3 years in advance, except the 2 opponents that are determined by record of the previous year. It's just how things work out. In 3 years, the Steelers may have the easiest schedule & the Pats may have the hardest schedule. There is no way of knowing that now!!

Bottom line, I think, is this: Take care of the AFC North and the Steelers will be playing in January!! This is very do-able.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Take care of the AFC North and the Steelers will be playing in January!!
    Agreed with all you said.... And looking forward to hoisting a brew together come October...

...But I DO think that "games against common opponents" may very well be a factor...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Take care of the AFC North and the Steelers will be playing in January!!
    Agreed with all you said.... And looking forward to hoisting a brew together come October...

...But I DO think that "games against common opponents" may very well be a factor...

Looking forward to it as well!!! I've spoken with my crew & they are on board for a trip to Longworth Hall.

I hope the season doesn't come down to record against common opponents, but your right -it may. We just have to finish 1 game ahead of whoever is in second place. I think it's damn near safe to say that the Wildcard will not be comming out of the AFC North.

Legend

User Info Menu

-The Browns schedule features the same opponents as ours with two exceptions... Cleveland plays Buffalo instead of New England, and Denver instead of San Diego.
    Let's say, for example, that Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the same record against our common opponents. We both have to play Indy, Jax, Tenn, Hou, Dal, NYG, Wash, and Phil once each and Cincy and Balt twice each. I think we will win more games against these common opponents than Cleveland, but lets just say that hypothetically, it turns out to be the same record in these 12 common games.

Let's say facing a first place schedule bites us in the butt and we lose to NE and SD, while Cleveland takes advantage of their second place schedule, beating Buff and Den. That puts the Browns two games up on us to this point. Uh oh.

Not so fast! Even with these worst case scenarios in effect, the division is still ours if we sweep the Brownies and their sorry-@$$ defense like we have 6 out of the past 7 seasons (winning 15 out of 16 times during that stretch, including the only game in the playoffs). The situation would be exactly the same as last year. We'd have the same record, but we would win the division on the basis of having swept them. It's that simple.

Now I don't think it will come down to that. I think we can take the division with a couple of game cushion even if we split with Cleveland (I see Cleveland as a 7-9 team...maybe 8-8 at best...with the fact that they will not be sneaking up on anyone this year, other teams have tape on D. Anderson now, their marquee d-line pickup have never played the 3-4 before, and they have jack squat in the secondary when they need to play in nickel and dime packages).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Even with these worst case scenarios in effect, the division is still ours if we sweep the Brownies and their sorry-@$$ defense like we have 6 out of the past 7 seasons (winning 15 out of 16 times during that stretch, including the only game in the playoffs). The situation would be exactly the same as last year. We'd have the same record, but we would win the division on the basis of having swept them. It's that simple.
    I like that line of thinking!....

Legend

User Info Menu

This schedule is tough. According to last year's finishes it is the toughest in the league.
    There is atleast one other factor that I can think of that has an impact on wins and losses. Injuries will play a huge impact on who wins the AFC North. Those injuries can happen within the division or too the teams faced. When those injuries happen could determine what games are won and loss. Injuries are going to happen. Just a matter of when. I am sure most of you know this but I do not think it was brought up. I think being battle tested in the regular season means very little for the playoffs. It might be more important to get hot or peak at the right time. Along with not having any key injuries.

Legend

User Info Menu

Everyone in the Division has a tough schedule because of the designated Division play this year. All the teams play the AFC South and NFC East which are the two best conferences in the NFL so our challenge is everyone's challenge.

The key is winning the AFC North decisively which means 5-1 or 4-2. If we do that then we only have to be 6-4 against the remaining schedule which this team can do. The key will be to build up wins early and stay healthy for a tough November/December schedule.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    All the teams play the AFC South and NFC East which are the two best conferences in the NFL so our challenge is everyone's challenge.
    Yes... But not the same teams elsewhere. Look at the difference between our schedule and Clevelands'... We play New England and they play Buffalo from the AFC East. There is also a difference in the AFC West teams that we face... We play San Diego, and they play Denver. Not too much of a difference with that one. So yes, common opponents are possibly in the bag with the two divisions you mentioned.

Yea, it's a tough schedule. But we will undoubtably have bragging rights once we end up on top...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    All the teams play the AFC South and NFC East which are the two best conferences in the NFL so our challenge is everyone's challenge.
    Yes... But not the same teams elsewhere. Look at the difference between our schedule and Clevelands'... We play New England and they play Buffalo from the AFC East. There is also a difference in the AFC West teams that we face... We play San Diego, and they play Denver. Not too much of a difference with that one. So yes, common opponents are possibly in the bag with the two divisions you mentioned.

Yea, it's a tough schedule. But we will undoubtably have bragging rights once we end up on top...
    Undoubtedly our two game 1st place schedule against the AFC East & West (New England and San Diego) looks tougher than Cleveland's (Buffalo and Denver), Cincinnati's (New York Jets and Kansas City) and Baltimore's (Miami and Oakland), but keep in mind that each of our division rivals have to face the mighty Steelers twice, so they also have two more games against an '07 division champion (AFC North) as well.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    but keep in mind that each of our division rivals have to face the mighty Steelers twice, so they also have two more games against an '07 division champion (AFC North) as well.
    VERY good point!!!....