Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can you be statistically..

Re: How can you be statistically..

[quote=RuthlessBurgher]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Smartmonies":1pq7liwo
    You have to understand that the Hall of Fame voting is made up of Voters like Peter King. Last Year Peter King had Jon Kitna as the 9th best QB and BigBen as #17.
    How this guy has a hall of fame vote is beyond my comprehension.
    ...What denotes a voting position? ....Who gets them, and why?
    I don't know exactly. I know you have to be a media member. Beat writers mostly get to vote. I think their are like 45 voters or something like that.

They would be better off Using sports handicappers.
    I think they should give living Hall of Famers a say in who deserves to join them in Canton. Shouldn't guys who played against the candidates have a better opinion than guys eating doughnuts up in the pressbox? Normally, I don't think the NCAA does many things better than the NFL (I hate the BCS over a playoff system, hate the college OT, etc.), but letting past Heisman winners vote for the Heisman each year makes sense to me.[/quote:1pq7liwo]

Yes and know. But they don't do much better. Youcan see that each year when they vote for things like Team MVP. They cannot even do that right.

Honestly sports handicappers should have a say in the matter. I say that with all seriousness and its got nothing to do with me being one. The Beat writer just sticks a microphone under the players chin. That's all he does differently from Joe Fan. But when I wrote last nov to Bouchette about the Steelers struggles in the Running game , he had no idea what I was talking about until the Steelers started drafting and signing backs this offseason. Most writers will point to the most basic of stats like "passing yards." yet , a team with a lot of passing yards is often one who is playing from behind a lot and have to throw to catch up. A good sports capper can break things down to what is really going on, not just what is perceived. for example it was "perceived" that the 2004 steelers were winning because of their running game. but a sports capper will let you know that Bettis rushing yards were coming in the 4th QTR long after the Steelers had taken the lead. He would also compare and contrast the Steelers QB key passing stats in the 1st QTR, and then compare them to Maddox a year before. Hence the new efficient QB allowed the steelers to control the ball by completing third downs early in the game. he helped them pile on points early so that they didn't have to pass late. Vice Versa Maddox's inefficiency in the first halves, led to less ball control, more punts, tired defense, and more passing attempts by games end. I use this as just one example.
    A beat writer would never break things down to the finer points. Hence you have people who should be in the hall and not be in the hall.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    hate the college OT
    You gotta be kidding me?!.... Why do you hate the college OT system?!.... Personally, I wish the NFL would institute something along these lines so both teams are guaranteed to touch the ball. ... Granted, I do not care for the positioning of the ball and removing the kickoff from the equation, but it is still pretty damn good compared to what is seen on Sundays I think...
    I agree that NFL OT would improve if both teams had an opportunity with the ball, but the college version seems to contrived and artificial like deciding a hockey game via shootout instead of continuing to play the game.

Maybe do something like if the first team scores on the first OT drive, kick off to the other team and give them one drive to tie or win. If they tie, then make it sudden death from that point on. If they fail to score on that drive, game over...team 1 wins. If the first team does not score on the first drive, then it is standard sudden death, since both teams will then have had a chance with the ball in their hands.

Hall of Famer

I agree that NFL OT would improve if both teams had an opportunity with the ball, but the college version seems to contrived and artificial like deciding a hockey game via shootout instead of continuing to play the game.

Maybe do something like if the first team scores on the first OT drive, kick off to the other team and give them one drive to tie or win. If they tie, then make it sudden death from that point on. If they fail to score on that drive, game over...team 1 wins. If the first team does not score on the first drive, then it is standard sudden death, since both teams will then have had a chance with the ball in their hands.
    We gotta get you the tapes of the 4OT Arkansas game and the 5OT (I think) Kentucky game... :P

We gotta get you the tapes of the 4OT Arkansas game and the 5OT (I think) Kentucky game... :P
    I won't argue that it cannot be exciting to go back and forth like that, but the whole thing where they start forcing a team to go for two, for instance, does not feel like true football to me.

Hall of Famer

I won't argue that it cannot be exciting to go back and forth like that, but the whole thing where they start forcing a team to go for two, for instance, does not feel like true football to me.
    Agreed that the 2-point force play is inadequate. But you're talkin' to a guy who may watch college ball on-off from noon till 2am (thanx to Gameplan and games in Hawaii/west coast).....

Pro Bowler

Yes, Shell should be in, but I truly believe that there is a certain "bias" against the Steelers at this point.... Hell, they don't want the whole squad in there, do they? ... Let's not forget that Dawson ain't there yet either... And he was one of the best at the position.

Who was that Patriot LB from the 80's that was inducted last year? What a terrible submission that was. The fact that he got in before Shell and Greenwood??

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Yes, Shell should be in, but I truly believe that there is a certain "bias" against the Steelers at this point.... Hell, they don't want the whole squad in there, do they? ... Let's not forget that Dawson ain't there yet either... And he was one of the best at the position.

Who was that Patriot LB from the 80's that was inducted last year? What a terrible submission that was. The fact that he got in before Shell and Greenwood??

Was it Andre Tippett?

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Was it Andre Tippett?

Pappy
    Yes, it was. Thank you!

Andre Tippett was a player back in the day. It is hard to compare the credentials of a LB to a d-lineman and to a safety, though. In terms of LB's, I'm surprised that Derrick Thomas hasn't gotten more posthumous love from the HOF voters.

Posted this over at the Trib. Sorry for those of you that post in both places and this is a repeat.

When he retired Shell had 51 interceptions and 19 fumble recoveries which tallies 70 d@mn turnovers. The interceptions were the most by any safety in history when he retired (I think), plus 4 Superbowl wins and 5 pro-bowls or however many he had. It should never have gotten this far, but, it has, and, unfortunately, it will probably be the senior committee that gets him in. I hope he's alive to enjoy the moment.

Wait let me add this to the resume, he played in 201 games and was responsible for 70 turnovers that's .35 per game played. That's amazing in itself. Can you say "ballhawk"?

How about this? His first 3 years in the league he started only 2 games and had 3 INTs and 3 fumble recoveries total in those 3 years. This means that he accounted for 48 INTs and 16 fumble recoveries in 159 games that's .4 TOs per game from 1977 - 1987.

There's just too many Steelers in the HOF and Bettis and Woodson are almost certain locks. Shell will need the senior committee to get him in and hopefully, they aren't as stringent as the baseball senior committee.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll