Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do sports reporters make?

Re: How much do sports reporters make?

One of my best friends is just finishing up his first contract as an ESPN News anchor and he makes just north of $100,000. Depending on the market, most local TV anchors make anywhere between $30,000 and $70,000 to start (some higher and some lower). Radio is pathetic and unless you are in a major market or syndicated, it's hard to make a living solely of the earnings.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I'm in the wrong profession.

You and me both.
    If these guys screw up they can always waffle their mistakes.
    Wonderful journalistic ethics.
    If the ratings up, keep pouring it on , if the ratings down, then attack everything and act a complete a-hole.
    Who do these people actually serve these days besides themselves? The fans? The sport? I dont think so, big money proves this.
    The days when we fans got all our info and opinions from people who actually got to go to all the games, spoke with our Heroes from the field, and more importantly BELIEVED the game is bigger than the players are long gone. Nowadays it's seems like who is going to be the flavor of the week or the season, who is going to be so controversial as to WE MUST STOOP FOR THE DIRT in a slow week, instead of really telling about the sport! Sportswriters give these controversial players too much attention, and therefor draw our attention as fans into crap we really dont want to associate with something we love. I'm not saying we should not hear about the players who f-up, but please, let leave it to the people who report HARD news. Sportswriters, these days in general are no better than the other media whore's who dont have a story or any imagination, so they resort to gossip mongering of the the same as their celeb reporting counterparts. There are exceptions, but sadly few.
    I get more feedback and info on my team ON THIS BOARD then anything I have listened to or read in the crap periodicals or t.v.
    Sorry for the rant.

Pro Bowler

I think the thing to remember is that the names listed here are the top of the top. Much like actors - a lot of folks think all actors are making millions b/c we only hear about the top guys and their salaries when in reality there are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of actors making nothing. Same with sports folks. Outside the very top 1%, most people in the field - the local writers or even sports people on local TV are not making all that much money. Cool profession but they aren't lighting their cigars with $100 bills!

Believe me, as someone who chose the media as his profession of choice, for every Rick Reilly, there is a me. The overwhelming majority of sports writers and bloggers make a pretty piddly salary, and the newspaper field is going to hell in a handbasket -- and it is taking the express route.

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher

Believe me, as someone who chose the media as his profession of choice, for every Rick Reilly, there is a me. The overwhelming majority of sports writers and bloggers make a pretty piddly salary, and the newspaper field is going to hell in a handbasket -- and it is taking the express route.
    You are a sportswriter?

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher

You are a sportswriter?
    I was when I first got into the business, then I realized that the money wasn't there, and the hours suck, and well, it wasn't for me. I got into graphic design and have been doing it for the past 10 years. The money is better, but the industry (newspapers) is dying.