Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Best Players in AFC North

Legend

User Info Menu

Discussion of Best Players in AFC North

[url]http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/06/09/best-of-the-north-qb-rb-wr-te/[/url]

Best of the North? QB, RB, WR, TE
    By Mike Frazer | June 9th, 2008

After taking a look at the teams in the AFC north, it seemed like the proper thing to do to break down each position in the division and take a stab at who is the best in the division at their respective spots. Teams win championships, but players make plays. Here’s a look at the best players in the AFC North.

Quarterback: Ben Roethlisberger (Carson Palmer, Derek Anderson)
    Ben Roethlisberger has been impressive three of his first four years in the league. Coming into the game as a relief pitcher for Tommy Maddox in game 2 of the 2004 season, Roethlisberger lit up his opponents to go undefeated as a starter. His victories included a come-from-behind win in Dallas, rallying from a 10-point deficit to win the game 24-20. The next season, he led his team to a Super Bowl victory the hard way, carrying the team and the entire city of Pittsburgh on his back through three playoff games on the road. While he had a dismal performance in the Super Bowl itself, he nearly single-handedly got them there in the first place with truly inspired play. We’ll give him a mulligan for the 2006 season because it’s hard to tell if it was a Super Bowl hangover, a slump, or maybe putting his face through the windshield of a Chrysler that made him play like a pom-pom girl in pads. In 2007, all he did was score an efficiency rating over 100, second only to Tom Brady and his season that can only be described as friggin’ sick.

As for the other guys? Derek Anderson may be a one-season wonder; we can’t tell yet. He could be the second coming of Joe Montana, or the second coming of Kordell Stewart. As for Palmer, who was drafted ahead of Roethlisberger in 2004, until he can show that he can be a true leader of his team, and carry the team to victory when everyone else is trying to lose, he won’t supplant a Super Bowl champion at the top of the heap.

Running Back: Willie Parker (Willis McGahee, Rudi Johnson, Jamal Lewis)
    Parker was leading the league in rushing yards until he broke his leg with just less than two games left in the season. The little guy, behind a shaky line, has proven all critics wrong who said he was too small to be effective, especially in a town that lives and dies by power running. The additions of Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore will only help matters.

McGahee had a fine season in 2007, nearly mirroring Parker. The difference is that Parker has been steady from his first start, putting up more than 100 yards in the 2004 season finale against Buffalo. Johnson and Lewis are both explosive runners, but they are both the definition of hot-and-cold players. The fact is that Parker was simply the top running back in the league through the first 15 weeks of the season, and could very well have maintained that position had he not been hurt. The fact that he was that close to being the first Steeler in decades to win the rushing title, even with the list of guys who have run in this town over the years, is a testament to how good he can be.

Wide Receiver: Hines Ward/T.J. Houshmanzadeh (Chad Johnson, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes)
    This one is too close to call, so I won’t try. Some may scream at me for picking Housh over Johnson out of the Bengals’ stable, but a large part of this game comes down to attitude: simply put, Housh has a better one than Johnson. He has quietly put up some of the best cumulative numbers in the league over his time in Cincy, and is far less of a sore thumb than the self-righteous Johnson. Ward, on the other hand, is a different kind of receiver. if we based this on statistics alone, he wouldn’t be in the ballpark. But he’s the only one on this list who can go deep, go across the middle, and lay down a crushing block when called upon to do so. it’s his completeness as a receiver, not his stats, that ties him with Housh.

Edwards had a great 2007, but he needs more than one fine season to be considered the best in the division. Likewise with Holmes, even though he did lead the NFL in yards per catch in 2007.

Tight End: Todd Heap (Heath Miller, Kellen Winslow)
    Going counter to my decision to split the decision on wide receiver, Todd Heap wins this one on his own simply because of his consistent ability, year-in and year-out, to destroy solid defenses by getting open deep along the seams. Winslow was good last season at the same thing, but I’m not ready to crown him the best receiving tight end in the division until he does it more than once. Miller is far-and-away the best blocker of the three, and has shown he is probably the best of the three in the red zone when properly utilized. He doesn’t have quite the speed of the other two, though, so his threat is limited. And that’s what keeps him out of the top spot.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Discussion of Best Players in AFC North

He added a discussion of the best o-lineman in the division in a subsequent article:

[url]http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/06/17/best-of-the-north-t-g-c/[/url]

Best of the North? T, G, C
    By Mike Frazer | June 17th, 2008

Author’s note: This one is a little behind, and I apologize. Unfortunately, with Jim currently down for the count and the day job taking an inordinate amount of time last week, I had little chance to put this together. But, without further adieu, here is part two.

Continuing the Best of the North? series, we now look to the trenches to find the offensive guys most likely to turn a defender into lumpy mashed potatoes. This is where everyone who accused me of “homerism” in the first installment gets their due. When your best known quantity on the offensive line is Marvel Smith, you can’t expect a lot to be said about your Big Uglies.

Offensive Tackle: Joe Thomas (Levi Jones, Marvel Smith)
    According to FootballOutsiders.com, the Browns were the number one team in the league running around the left end and number three running directly off the left tackle — with a rookie playing what is arguably the most important position on the field. Clearly the presence of Eric Steinbach, acquired before the 2007 season, helped Thomas’ progression, but he stepped in from game one and did the best job in the division protecting his quarterback’s blind side. The confidence and poise with which quarterback Derek Anderson played was largely a result of Thomas’ protection.

Jones has been a fixture on the Bengals’ line for several years and, aside from injuries, has been a starter since his rookie year. That kind of longevity is indicative of his level of play. Smith, too, has been a key component in the Steelers’ line, but back problems have degraded his play. He’s ranked number three in the division for now, but there are a lot of young guys who will have a chance to knock him down the list — even guys on his own team.

Guard: Eric Steinbach (Ben Grubbs)
    Steinbach was a key player for the Browns in 2007, helping with the resurgence of Jamal Lewis as the Browns’ left side was simply dominant on the ground. Steinbach was also instrumental early on helping Joe Thomas get his feet wet in the NFL, leading Thomas to a well-deserved Pro Bowl.

Grubbs is solid. He does his job, and his name doesn’t called much. For offensive linemen, that’s usually a good thing. The Ravens have shown their trust in his abilities this off-season, with plans to move him from the right side to the left to help further protect the blind sides of a team full of young, relatively inexperienced quarterbacks.

Center: Do I have to pick one? Really? Okay, Hank Fraley.
    This would have been LeCharles Bentley, even after coming off a major injury, had he not been granted a release from the Browns. Every team in the division has questions at center right now: Sean Mahan is likely to lose his starting job to a capable, but far from outstanding, Justin Hartwig — and he’s coming off two injuries in two years with the Carolina Panthers. The Browns currently appear to have Hank Fraley at the top of their depth chart — the same guy who got benched in Philly. Baltimore doesn’t even have a true center on their roster, and Cincinnati’s got competition between an inconsistent Eric Ghiaciuc and Dan Santucci, who is entering just his second year and only appeared in two games last year. Sadly, I think I have to say Fraley is the best of the bunch, and everyone else is fighting to just be recognized by their own positional coaches.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    As for Palmer, who was drafted ahead of Roethlisberger in 2004
    Up to this point, I was reading and feeling the guy... after this point I realized this was written by a Steelers fan who is trying not to be biased... except, he doesn't even have his facts straight...

Rivers and Manning were in Ben's draft and went before him... Palmer was a different year.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Up to this point, I was reading and feeling the guy... after this point I realized this was written by a Steelers fan who is trying not to be biased... except, he doesn't even have his facts straight...

Rivers and Manning were in Ben's draft and went before him... Palmer was a different year.
    ... ... It's one thing to have an opinion, but 'ya gotta get the facts straight.... Good catch.

I think he meant ahead of him as in being drafted a year ahead of him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DVSONE

that's how i read it. he was drafted a year ahead and a few spots ahead of him. it made sense to me....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Quote Originally Posted by DVSONE

that's how i read it. he was drafted a year ahead and a few spots ahead of him. it made sense to me....
    if that's why he meant, why reference a year? and once you do, whose year are you talking about? Ben's or Palmer's?

IMO, he totally F'ed up and you two know enough about the situation that you fixed it in your heads for him.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

yea that could very well be true.
    i mean i know that ben is better than carson, maybe not from a statistical standpoint but from a football players standpoint. i'd rather have ben any day of the week.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

MY UNBIASED "2007" ALL AFC NORTH TEAM

QB - ROETHLISBERGER
    RB - PARKER
    FB - J JOHNSON / BENGALS
    WR - HOUSHMANDZADEH / BENGALS
    WR - EDWARDS / BROWNS
    TE - WINSLOW / BROWNS
    OT - THOMAS / BROWNS
    OT - JONES / BENGALS
    OG - GRUBBS / RAVENS
    OG - ANDREWS / BENGALS
    C - CHESTER / RAVENS

DL - NGATA / RAVENS
    DL - A SMITH
    DL - HAMPTON
    LB - WIMBLEY / BROWNS
    LB - LEWIS / RAVENS
    LB - SCOTT / RAVENS
    LB - SUGGS / RAVENS
    S - REED / RAVENS
    S - POLAMALU
    CB - TAYLOR
    CB - BODDEN / BROWNS

KR/PR - CRIBBS / BROWNS
    P - SEPULVEDA
    K - REED

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    MY UNBIASED "2007" ALL AFC NORTH TEAM

QB - ROETHLISBERGER
    RB - PARKER
    FB - J JOHNSON / BENGALS
    WR - HOUSHMANDZADEH / BENGALS
    WR - EDWARDS / BROWNS
    TE - WINSLOW / BROWNS
    OT - THOMAS / BROWNS
    OT - JONES / BENGALS
    OG - GRUBBS / RAVENS
    OG - ANDREWS / BENGALS
    C - CHESTER / RAVENS

DL - NGATA / RAVENS
    DL - A SMITH
    DL - HAMPTON
    LB - WIMBLEY / BROWNS
    LB - LEWIS / RAVENS
    LB - SCOTT / RAVENS
    LB - SUGGS / RAVENS
    S - REED / RAVENS
    S - POLAMALU
    CB - TAYLOR
    CB - BODDEN / BROWNS

KR/PR - CRIBBS / BROWNS
    P - SEPULVEDA
    K - REED
    It would be hard to argue against your choices.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"