Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Do you consider...

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,498

    Do you consider...

    The Steelers D-Line to be a strength or weakness going into the season?

    Although everyone was surprised that the Steelers didn't draft an O-Linemen early (Although justifiably so), I was also shocked that they didn't try and add some youth and depth to that D-Line.

    Casey Hampton although still better than 95% of the DT's in the league is getting more and more overweight and can barely play a full game anymore. He looked gassed a lot more this past season and I don't think he can be an every down DT if he keeps going down this path.

    Aaron Smith, is highly under-rated but can he stay healthy?

    The rest of your D-Line is nothing special. Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke are just wavier wire fillers. Brett Keisel is good at times but overall just average.


    Also could someone let me in on why Tomlin keeps neglecting the trenches?

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South West Indiana
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Do you consider...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    The Steelers D-Line to be a strength or weakness going into the season?

    Although everyone was surprised that the Steelers didn't draft an O-Linemen early (Although justifiably so), I was also shocked that they didn't try and add some youth and depth to that D-Line.

    Casey Hampton although still better than 95% of the DT's in the league is getting more and more overweight and can barely play a full game anymore. He looked gassed a lot more this past season and I don't think he can be an every down DT if he keeps going down this path.

    Aaron Smith, is highly under-rated but can he stay healthy?

    The rest of your D-Line is nothing special. Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke are just wavier wire fillers. Brett Keisel is good at times but overall just average.


    Also could someone let me in on why Tomlin keeps neglecting the trenches?

    I don't think Tomlin could pass up what was sitting there for us in round 1 & 2 of the draft this year. As far as the later rounds, I'm not sure what was available on the D-Line when it came to the Steelers picks. I like the pick of Tony Hill. Although, Dixon is talented and his upside his nice, the pick made me scratch my noggin. If the Steelers plan on keeping Batch beyond this season, I think they could of waited to select our 2nd string QB of the future.

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Do you consider...

    If anyone has the true answer as to why the O-line/D-line is neglected, please let me know...

    ...How do I view it?.... Personally, I think it is a weakness on both sides of the ball. But since you addressed the D-line, I'll stick to that area... I think the combination of age, lack of depth, and potential injuries COULD be the undoing again this season going down the late stretch.

    I can't fault the picks of Mendenhall and Sweed because they were clearly the BAP at that point during the draft. But to pick up only Hills for the offense and ignore the defense was disconcerting to me. Bruce Davis will pan out well IMO (but not as well as your Keith Rivers), but I really don't care for the Dixon pick... He will probably end up on the IR for this season because he can't be completely recovered from the surgery, and I'm just not sold on his potential.

    Anyway, yes, Hampton needs to put the fork down once in a while. Although, he supposedly was at a clinic last week to gain control over the weight issue. While we don't have any clear stars, I do think Hoke is a decent replacement at the NT position... Smith had an injury, and there is no reason to think that this will be repetitive in any way. Keisel is a decent player and didn't get his just due last season in my opinion... Kirschke is simply getting old (12 years experience now).... Eason has just been a disappointment to me.

    Again, the depth/age issue concerns me... But not as much as our O-line does.

    ...Off Topic trivia question for you Jom: Usually divisional foes alternate the first games at home against eachother each season... (first match-up in one location in one year, then the following year, it is at the other venue...) This is going to be the second year in a row that the first match-up between our teams will be in Cincy... Any clue as to why it is not alternating as usual?.... I'm just curious as to other opinions about it.... Not that I expect the gameday results to be any different....

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Do you consider...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74

    I don't think Tomlin could pass up what was sitting there for us in round 1 & 2 of the draft this year. As far as the later rounds, I'm not sure what was available on the D-Line when it came to the Steelers picks. I like the pick of Tony Hill. Although, Dixon is talented and his upside his nice, the pick made me scratch my noggin. If the Steelers plan on keeping Batch beyond this season, I think they could of waited to select our 2nd string QB of the future.

    The first two rounds I understand. Going into the draft Mendenhall was my favorite RB and Sweed was my second favorite receiver (Behind Simpson of course, I mean Devin Thomas). So those were solid picks.

    Davis is probably the biggest sleeper in your draft. He seems like a perfect fit for your system as an outside pass rushing LB. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he leads your team in sacks in a couple of seasons. If Davis was drafted by us, I would have said it as a bad pick for the third round but he should be productive under LeBeau.

    After those 3 picks though, I don't think Tomlin could have done a worse job. Tony Hills is a project and Dennis Dixon will probably see as much playing time as Chris Perry the next few seasons. You guys should have drafted Ahtyba Rubin before the Clowns did. Also Nick Hayden was still on the board. Both guys could have helped solidify your trenches.


    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    If anyone has the true answer as to why the O-line/D-line is neglected, please let me know...

    ...How do I view it?.... Personally, I think it is a weakness on both sides of the ball. But since you addressed the D-line, I'll stick to that area... I think the combination of age, lack of depth, and potential injuries COULD be the undoing again this season going down the late stretch.

    I can't fault the picks of Mendenhall and Sweed because they were clearly the BAP at that point during the draft. But to pick up only Hills for the offense and ignore the defense was disconcerting to me. Bruce Davis will pan out well IMO (but not as well as your Keith Rivers), but I really don't care for the Dixon pick... He will probably end up on the IR for this season because he can't be completely recovered from the surgery, and I'm just not sold on his potential.

    Anyway, yes, Hampton needs to put the fork down once in a while. Although, he supposedly was at a clinic last week to gain control over the weight issue. While we don't have any clear stars, I do think Hoke is a decent replacement at the NT position... Smith had an injury, and there is no reason to think that this will be repetitive in any way. Keisel is a decent player and didn't get his just due last season in my opinion... Kirschke is simply getting old (12 years experience now).... Eason has just been a disappointment to me.

    Again, the depth/age issue concerns me... But not as much as our O-line does.

    ...Off Topic trivia question for you Jom: Usually divisional foes alternate the first games at home against eachother each season... (first match-up in one location in one year, then the following year, it is at the other venue...) This is going to be the second year in a row that the first match-up between our teams will be in Cincy... Any clue as to why it is not alternating as usual?.... I'm just curious as to other opinions about it.... Not that I expect the gameday results to be any different....

    I stuck to the D-Line because it's too obvious to pick on your O-Line. Plus I had some genuine intrigue as to how you guys felt about your aging D-Line.

    As for the trivia question, I'm not sure. Maybe one of the stadiums has something planned on one of those dates. I know Heinz field gets rented out to high school teams and other events as I'm sure PBS does at times.

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Do you consider...

    The head coach is not the sole decision maker in a draft.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Do you consider...

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    The head coach is not the sole decision maker in a draft.
    Thanks captain obvious, I just don't want to write Tomlin and his staff (Or FO) everytime...


    (It's getting a little to friendly in here, time to bring back the namecalling... )

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Do you consider...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    The head coach is not the sole decision maker in a draft.
    Thanks captain obvious, I just don't want to write Tomlin and his staff (Or FO) everytime...


    (It's getting a little to friendly in here, time to bring back the namecalling... )
    "the Steelers" works better than "Tomlin" and has the added benefit of being accurate.

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Do you consider...

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    "the Steelers" works better than "Tomlin" and has the added benefit of being accurate.
    And who would say makes the final decision on draft picks? Or ultimately has to decide one way or the other on a pick?

    Tomlin? Rooney? Colbert?

    It's always a group decision but Tomlin I would think makes the final call, hence he's held accountable for it.

    Similar to if a RB has a bad season, you could blame the O-Line but ultimately it's his fault for not producing...

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Do you consider...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    "the Steelers" works better than "Tomlin" and has the added benefit of being accurate.
    And who would say makes the final decision on draft picks? Or ultimately has to decide one way or the other on a pick?

    Tomlin? Rooney? Colbert?

    It's always a group decision but Tomlin I would think makes the final call, hence he's held accountable for it.

    Similar to if a RB has a bad season, you could blame the O-Line but ultimately it's his fault for not producing...
    I don't know who has final say which is why I don't speculate.

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Do you consider...

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

    I don't know who has final say which is why I don't speculate.
    Translation: I have nothing to contribute to this thread, so I will whine about semantics...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •