Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ask The Steelers: Jeremy Bloom Part 3

Pro Bowler

Re: Ask The Steelers: Jeremy Bloom Part 3

[His name was Dat Nguyen.[/quote]

He's the only reason that I know that you are supposed to pronounce that name "Win."

As in: the Cowboys are still looking for their first Playoff Nguyen in over a decade. [/quote]

Ha!! Never thought of it as a homonym.

Nguyen in Rome
    Nguyen Hell Freezes Over
    The 80's Glass Tiger song "Don't Forget Me Nguyen I'm Gone"

I think we need to stop looking at Reid as a PR/KR spec. He HAS shown flashes of his WR ability and if he's going to make it in the NFL it's going to be at WR. He has the speed and seems to have the hands but if he's trying the play both WR and KR/PR he's not focusing on the little things that it takes to be a NFL WR.

Right now it seems like we have a very good base of WR's and we do, but after this year things get a little dicey.

Washington has the one year deal and isn't going to resign to be a #4-5 WR. He's going to be looking to sign somewhere that he's a #3 where he might have a shot at moving to #2. Can't blame him for that.

Dallas Baker is getting some props this off season but this is just the offseason. Until he does it in the reg season, he hasn't done anything.

Reid has failed at PR/KR, I just don't see him coming back from that but he has shown flashes as WR. If he concentrates on that he might be able to develop into a #4-5 guy with potential to move a little higher.

Bloom? Next.

Trannon? Next

Sweed's a rook and will be a good #3 receiver this year. I think he's going to be a great target for Ben. Ben tends to either underthrow the deep ball which end up in a jump ball situation. Sweed's size will help out tons! I just got a little excited thinking about Sweed coming back for a ball and out jumping the DB, taking the ball at the highest point. Shoving the DB to the ground and walking in for the 65 yard TD. Sweed and Holmes are going to be a great combo of size and speed.

Holmes is our #1 this year. Ward will catch more balls most likely because of Ben comfortability with him, and will probably have more TD's too but make no mistake Holmes is going to be the playmaker. If the line can give Ben the time to find Holmes down the field he's going to put up great numbers. This is the year that Holmes "breaks out" in the national media. We saw the potential last year and everyone else will this year.

That brings us to Ward. This will be Wards last year as "The Man" IMO. That doesn't mean he can't play or that he's going to get cut after this season but we have two young studs that will be pushing the "Old Guy" hard. Wards future depends on what role he'll accept after this year. If he resists a cut in playing time and doesn't agree to restructure his pay, they may have to let him go.

My silver lining in all of this is an interview I read about a month ago. Ward was talking about getting older and just wanting to mentor the young guys. He mentioned that he new his time was coming up and that he was OK with that. he had proven everything he needed to prove and was content with that.

If that's true then he'll take the pay cut, won't make noise about going to the slot and will be a HUGE asset to the development of any WR that wears the Black and Gold. Now if he refuses to rework his deal, there is no way that we can pay a #2-3 the money that he's making. He'll be cut and no one will be happy about it (except Crash).

A lot of opinions and very little "Facts" but that why we're all here. So this year here is how I see the chart.

Holmes
    Ward
    Sweed
    Washington
    Baker
    Reid (if given the chance to just be a WR)

In the 3 WR set Ward moves to the slot. Holmes and Sweed on the outside.

2009-10 season

Holmes
    Sweed
    Ward
    Baker
    Reid
    (Rookie/UDFA/PR/KR spec)

Ward will be the #3 WR mainly but I think he'll sub in with Sweed on certain formations. I think we'll also be running a lot of 3 wide sets with a TE. So it would look like this.

Holmes Miller Ward Sweed

Mendenhall or Parker in the backfield

Think we'll score some points??

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Chavezz
    I think we need to stop looking at Reid as a PR/KR spec. He HAS shown flashes of his WR ability and if he's going to make it in the NFL it's going to be at WR. He has the speed and seems to have the hands but if he's trying the play both WR and KR/PR he's not focusing on the little things that it takes to be a NFL WR.
    Call me a hater... ...But the only thing Reid has shown is a propensity to be hurt every season.
    ...I have given up on him.

...Holmes, Ward, Sweed, Washington, Baker, and Rucker.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Call me a hater... ...But the only thing Reid has shown is a propensity to be hurt every season.
    ...I have given up on him.

...Holmes, Ward, Sweed, Washington, Baker, and Rucker.

Hater... LOL

Anyway, Reid has shown flashes. Too many people view his inability to fill the PR/KR role as a reflection on his WR ability and that wrong. Look at Holmes, he wasn't able to do the PR/KR role either but he was able to play WR, but for a while people were still down on Holmes because of his mistakes as a returner.

I think Reid can help this team as a WR if given the chance.

Hall of Famer

Hater... LOL

Anyway, Reid has shown flashes. Too many people view his inability to fill the PR/KR role as a reflection on his WR ability and that wrong. Look at Holmes, he wasn't able to do the PR/KR role either but he was able to play WR, but for a while people were still down on Holmes because of his mistakes as a returner.

Would this be before or after he is injured and on the sidelines?... ... I'm not down on him due to lack of ability as a return man, but because of his time on the sidelines due to injury. I have no doubt that he might be a better WR than returner, but he is always hurt... Sorry, but Kijana Carter comes to mind as a similar injury situation as an example.... Just a big disappointment, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Hater... LOL

Would this be before or after he is injured and on the sidelines?... ... I'm not down on him due to lack of ability as a return man, but because of his time on the sidelines due to injury. I have no doubt that he might be a better WR than returner, but he is always hurt... Sorry, but Kijana Carter comes to mind as a similar injury situation as an example.... Just a big disappointment, IMO.
    I just disagree. I think in his limited time of the field, he's shown some flashes of the skills he had at FSU.