Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ask The Steelers: Jeremy Bloom Part 3

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Ask The Steelers: Jeremy Bloom Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    my money is on 6 WRs... cuz of this being Nate's final year of his contract and cuz of Hines' age (and cost of his contract)... if sweed excels, Hines could, realistically, be next year's Joey Porter... so, you can't take a chance on losing young, talented WRs...
    Maybe so, but at this point in his career I think Hines would take a pay-cut to remain on the team.... He learned it from Jerome. ....Bloom will not amount to anything I'm guessing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    my money is on 6 WRs... cuz of this being Nate's final year of his contract and cuz of Hines' age (and cost of his contract)... if sweed excels, Hines could, realistically, be next year's Joey Porter... so, you can't take a chance on losing young, talented WRs...
    Maybe so, but at this point in his career I think Hines would take a pay-cut to remain on the team.... He learned it from Jerome. ....Bloom will not amount to anything I'm guessing.
    I dunno... it was just 2 seasons ago where Hines threatened to hold out.. (and did for part of camp). I'm not sure he's as wise as Bussie....
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I dunno... it was just 2 seasons ago where Hines threatened to hold out.. (and did for part of camp). I'm not sure he's as wise as Bussie....
    I was thinking about that while typing the response, and knew you'd say that... ...But NOW he is a few years older, made a little coin, and saw how Jerome went out with class... Maybe that will rub-off on him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Two years ago he didn't have the nagging injuries that has plagued him with such consistency these last two seasons. I don't think this squad will have somebody like Bloom on it. We require too much depth in other areas to have one person dedicated to one function on this team. These are what I think will fill the positions:

RB: Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell and Davis

WR: Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Baker and Washington

One or two of our return men will come from these ten guys.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    OK.

Let's pretend for a minute. Let's pretend that Bloom IS a good return person. Hypothetically.

What does THAT make our receiving and RB corps look like. Cause he will then be a spot.

WR: Hines, Holmes, Sweed, Nate, Bloom, ????

RB: Parker, Mendenhall, Russell, Moore, Davis

Note: I assume Bloom can't do much other than return.

I know people hate Reid, but I would much rather hope for him to improve as he can at least add something to the receiving game or fill in in case of injury.
    I've only got us keeping five receivers and personally don't think that Bloom or Reid will make the cut. I'm buying into the hype with Dallas Baker (yes, I do have Gator goggles) which would mean that we get our returns from guys like Moore and maybe even Holmes. Bloom would have to start looking like Devin Hester in the preseason to avoid being relegated to our practice squad. I think Reid has looked okay in limited opportunities at WR, but I don't think he could beat out the other five guys ahead of him (to include Baker). If a viable option for punt returns emerges in camp, he can wave goodbye as well and I don't think he's eligible for the practice squad anymore.

I could see us keeping six receivers especially if Reid or to a lesser probability Bloom, were to emerge as a viable return guy in camp. If neither one turns heads in that capacity I think it's likely that they'd be gone. I don't see any way that this is Ward's last year with the team. I do see him sliding over to the slot in '09 in three-receiver sets (he may well do that this year), but I'd keep him and his work ethic around Limas Sweed as long as I could.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only way we keep Bloom is if he looks like he is related to Hester. He will have to flat out light it up...because he isn't much of a WR.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    The only way we keep Bloom is if he looks like he is related to Hester. He will have to flat out light it up...because he isn't much of a WR.
    Exactly.... And he isn't.... Which teams already let him go???

Legend

User Info Menu

Exactly.... And he isn't.... Which teams already let him go???
    The Egales.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

People are comparing him to Wes Welker and like Welker didn't get much of a shot at WR but spoke volumes about his return game speed. This is absolutely rubbish. Bloom doesn't have Welker's skill set. Welker is significantly thicker and has proven that he has the hands to help teams out in the receiving end. If by some miracle Bloom emerges as one that can be effective in the slot then why not keep the guy. I don't see this happening. I do however see the viability of keeping six WR this year, if by chance Reid emerges as the main return man. He at least has in game experience as a WR.... he just needs to stay healthy otherwise he'll have no job in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

People are comparing him to Wes Welker and like Welker didn't get much of a shot at WR but spoke volumes about his return game speed. This is absolutely rubbish. Bloom doesn't have Welker's skill set. Welker is significantly thicker and has proven that he has the hands to help teams out in the receiving end. If by some miracle Bloom emerges as one that can be effective in the slot then why not keep the guy. I don't see this happening. I do however see the viability of keeping six WR this year, if by chance Reid emerges as the main return man. He at least has in game experience as a WR.... he just needs to stay healthy otherwise he'll have no job in the NFL.
    Agree that Bloom can't ever be Welker, but I do think Reid could be a similar type of player.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"