Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polish Recipes??

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Polish Recipes??

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Oz, as I told you, I don't know all the recipes my grandmother used down at the church. But with a last name such as Niedzialek, they are pretty good.... As a desert, how about potato pancakes topped with cherries, blueberries, strawberries, or whipped cream?.... This was one of the few that she passed down to me (the pancakes):

-4 to 6 potatoes peeled and cut (use Yukon Gold, red, or white... NOT baking potatoes)

-run thru food processor and put in strainer to drain

-in mixing bowl, add potatoes to: 1tbsp lemmon or orange juice, 3 tbsp flour or crushed breadcrumbs, 2-3 eggs (beaten), salt & pepper to taste, 1/2 cup finely chopped onion.

-mix well

-In a heavy skillet heat @ 1/8 inch deep of oil (peanut or canola)

-With tablespoon, spoon the batter into the oil and flatten immediately with spoon.

-cook roughly 5 minutes/side until golden brown (turning ONLY once)

-remove onto drying rack and cool.

....For a little spice, sub 1/3 of potatoes with sweet potatoes... It adds to the flavor if using for desert!
    Thanks for taking the time to share this recipe w/me!! I would like to try a dry run of this a few month before we host.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A Polish guy walked in to a pizza place and ordered a pizza. The pizza man asked him, "Should I cut it into six pieces or eight?" And the guy answered, "Cut it into six; I couldn't eat eight."

What does it say on the bottom of Polish Coke bottles?
    "Open other end."

What's the most popular Polish fast-food restaurant?
    Booger King.

.... oh. You said recipes. Never Mind.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    A Polish guy walked in to a pizza place and ordered a pizza. The pizza man asked him, "Should I cut it into six pieces or eight?" And the guy answered, "Cut it into six; I couldn't eat eight."

"Open other end."

Booger King.

My exwife was polish in lineage, here's on of her jokes:

"How can you tell a Polish girl is menstruating?"

"She's only wearing one sock."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene

"Open other end."

Booger King.

My exwife was polish in lineage, here's on of her jokes:

"How can you tell a Polish girl is menstruating?"

"She's only wearing one sock."
    How do you say "end of thread" in polish? ewwwwwwwwwww.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Like most in here have mentioned, Pierogi is the way to go. If you don't want to make them from scratch though, Mrs. T's is the way to go. Boil them for a few mintues before you fry them though so they soften, and don't worry about using too much onion or butter. There's no such thing with Pierogi

Another possible recipe. My grandmother made this when I was younger and it tasted like heaven. This recipe isn't exactly like hers but close. This is only if you want to go all out here.

Fresh Pork Shank

2 fresh pork shanks, about 3-4 pounds total
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    4 slices bacon, diced
    1 large onion, peeled and sliced
    1 32-oz. packaged refrigerated sauerkraut, rinsed and drained well
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 bay leaf
    2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    4 ounces beer, room temperature

Cooking Directions
    Season shanks with salt and pepper, set aside. In large Dutch oven or pot sauté bacon to render fat, stir in onion and cook and stir until onion is tender but not brown; push to one side of pan. Add shanks and brown on all sides, about 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Meanwhile, in large bowl stir together drained sauerkraut and remaining ingredients. Remove shanks, place sauerkraut mixture on bottom of pan, return shanks on top of kraut, drizzle beer over all. Cover and place in 350 degrees F. oven for 2-2 1/2 hours, until shanks are very tender. Serves 4.

Oh yeah Ozey, for the drinks - here's an idea if you want to do a little more than just Vodka shots and still stick to Polish tradition. Buy a large jar of sour pickles, cut them up into like wedges or cubes, and serve them alongside the Vodka shots as chasers. Sort of like mexican-style with a lemon or lime along with a tequila shot, the Polish will sometimes do this with pickles I've heard. It curbs the strong taste of the alcohol and I've even heard that the ingredients in pickle juice can help cure or even prevent a bad hangover. Might not be too popular with the ladies, but it's an idea.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sorry I don't have any recipes to share, but this thread brings back memories of eating at my grandmother's (she never used recipes...she just knew how to make these things off the top of her head). While others had more Americanized holiday dinners, I could always look forward to a Christmas feast including things like kielbasa (smoked and fresh), pierogies, haluski, and paczki doughnuts. Before you eat your own Polish feast, you should exclaim "Smacznego!" (smahtch-NEH-gaw) to your guests, which is roughly the Polish equivalent of "Bon Appetit!"
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelworth
    Like most in here have mentioned, Pierogi is the way to go. If you don't want to make them from scratch though, Mrs. T's is the way to go. Boil them for a few mintues before you fry them though so they soften, and don't worry about using too much onion or butter. There's no such thing with Pierogi

Another possible recipe. My grandmother made this when I was younger and it tasted like heaven. This recipe isn't exactly like hers but close. This is only if you want to go all out here.

Fresh Pork Shank

2 fresh pork shanks, about 3-4 pounds total
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    4 slices bacon, diced
    1 large onion, peeled and sliced
    1 32-oz. packaged refrigerated sauerkraut, rinsed and drained well
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 bay leaf
    2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    4 ounces beer, room temperature

Cooking Directions
    Season shanks with salt and pepper, set aside. In large Dutch oven or pot sauté bacon to render fat, stir in onion and cook and stir until onion is tender but not brown; push to one side of pan. Add shanks and brown on all sides, about 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Meanwhile, in large bowl stir together drained sauerkraut and remaining ingredients. Remove shanks, place sauerkraut mixture on bottom of pan, return shanks on top of kraut, drizzle beer over all. Cover and place in 350 degrees F. oven for 2-2 1/2 hours, until shanks are very tender. Serves 4.

Oh yeah Ozey, for the drinks - here's an idea if you want to do a little more than just Vodka shots and still stick to Polish tradition. Buy a large jar of sour pickles, cut them up into like wedges or cubes, and serve them alongside the Vodka shots as chasers. Sort of like mexican-style with a lemon or lime along with a tequila shot, the Polish will sometimes do this with pickles I've heard. It curbs the strong taste of the alcohol and I've even heard that the ingredients in pickle juice can help cure or even prevent a bad hangover. Might not be too popular with the ladies, but it's an idea.
    Believe me when I say that I appreciate all of the suggestions on here. Your suggestions are fantasic and I will give the Pork Shank (I can't say this w/out giggling) a test run. I wish you all were nearby you could be my guests later this year.

Thanks again for your post. It looks like that it could of been time consuming!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Before you eat your own Polish feast, you should exclaim "Smacznego!" (smahtch-NEH-gaw) to your guests, which is roughly the Polish equivalent of "Bon Appetit!"

This is something I didn't know. Thanks!! I will add this to the end the prayer before dinner