Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Rushing Rankings per down per play 2004-2007

Backup

User Info Menu

Steelers Rushing Rankings per down per play 2004-2007

Following are the Steelers offense RUSHING rankings per down and in the red area based on PER PLAY. This is another reason why the use of total yardage should not be mentioned when discussing team stats. The rankings are based on the value the Steelers running game received on a play per play average against the other 31 teams.

2007 steelers rushing rankings

1st down #22 (unacceptable)
    2nd down #27 (unacceptable)
    3rd down #1
    Red Zone #26 (unacceptable)

1st down #20 (wasn't much better)
    2nd down #26 (wasn't much better)
    3rd down #15
    Red Zone #25 (wasn't much better)

1st down #14
    2nd down #6
    3rd down #24
    Red Zone #8

1st down #11
    2nd down #11
    3rd down #2
    Red Zone #12

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers Rushing Rankings per down per play 2004-2007

The retirement of Hartings and the continued improvement of Big Ben contribute heavily to this, imo.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    The retirement of Hartings and the continued improvement of Big Ben contribute heavily to this, imo.
    I included 2006. Hartings was there.

Not sure how an improved Big Ben could hurt the running game on per play basis.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Mr Smartmonies]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":2iyb6js1

Not sure how an improved Big Ben could hurt the running game on per play basis.[/quote:2iyb6js1]

2006 was Hartings' last season...he hung it up for a reason. We also know what type of season Ben had that year too.

The continued improvement of Ben "hurts" the running game because he takes opportunities away from it. And lets not forget that teams still played us to "stop the run and make Ben win", and they saw that he was capable of throwing the ball more and winning. It will be interesting to see how opponents play us this season. If they play us more balanced I believe we will see more balance in the running and passing games.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d][quote="Mr Smartmonies":2mv7n20l]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":2mv7n20l

Not sure how an improved Big Ben could hurt the running game on per play basis.[/quote:2mv7n20l]

2006 was Hartings' last season...he hung it up for a reason. We also know what type of season Ben had that year too.

The continued improvement of Ben "hurts" the running game because he takes opportunities away from it. And lets not forget that teams still played us to "stop the run and make Ben win", and they saw that he was capable of throwing the ball more and winning. It will be interesting to see how opponents play us this season. If they play us more balanced I believe we will see more balance in the running and passing games.[/quote:2mv7n20l]

You make good points. There are other factors to consider when evaluating one particular area of the offense or defense when they are in different situations. I guess it is easier to just say it was bad without looking at all the factors that contributed to the situations.

Backup

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d][quote="Mr Smartmonies":1wfm3hok]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":1wfm3hok

Not sure how an improved Big Ben could hurt the running game on per play basis.[/quote:1wfm3hok]

The continued improvement of Ben "hurts" the running game because he takes opportunities away from it. And lets not forget that teams still played us to "stop the run and make Ben win", and they saw that he was capable of throwing the ball more and winning. It will be interesting to see how opponents play us this season. If they play us more balanced I believe we will see more balance in the running and passing games.[/quote:1wfm3hok]

ok I will take these one at a time.

1) Steelers were ranked #12 at the center postion in 2006. Ranked #29 at the center postion in 2007. Yet, little difference in the running game in a per play basis.

2) How is Ben taking away opportunities from Parker? Parker was on pace for 400 carries before injury. He had the most carries per game of any Running back in pro football.

3) The Steelers are not being played like the vikings. They are not facing 8 and 9 men in the box to stop parker. It is sad that you actually believe this.

How about Jacksonville last year? I think its fair to say that most defenses gameplanned to stop Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones Drew. Yet the Jags running game was Ranked #7 and #8 on 1st and second down on a per play basis while the steelers were stuck at 22 and 27 respectively.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not surprised by the 2007 numbers (except for maybe the 3rd down ranking), but I wouldn't have expected the '06 or even '05 averages to be that low. Last year we did a real poor job of executing and play-calling in the running game. The line was horrible all the way around but especially up the middle, yet we continually tried to pound Willie between the tackles on first and second down. As a result, we were continually in third and long situations and if it wasn't for Ben's amazing escapability and play-making, this offense would have been among the worst in the league. I think we actually were the number one team in the league in third down conversions until something like week 10, when the pass protection started to become even worse but our running game never helped in setting us up in manageable situations at any point.

It's hard to blame Parker, because he's the kind of back that needs holes opened for him if he's going to run between the tackles and last year there just weren't that many. Why we rarely called his number on the edge is beyond me, but now that we've got a back like Mendenhall and a center who can hold his ground (hopefully), I think we'll be far more effective there and make a concerted effort to let Willie do his thing outside. Forcing teams to defend the entire width of the field is going to put tremendous pressure on opposing linebackers and really open the running game up for us in my opinion. I also think that we're going to be helped in that regard by the continued development of Roethlisberger, Holmes, & Miller as well as the addition of Sweed (& Mendenhall) to our passing game.

I'm pretty excited by the potential both our offense and defense bring heading into the season and if it weren't for the issues with our lines, I would say we had the most talented team in football. I think we'll see enough improvement in the offensive line where those dreadful numbers won't be repeated in 2008.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah I'm not sure I buy the took carries away from Parker since we ran the ball...alot. Not to mention a healthy passing game makes it that much easier to run.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pass attempts per season (Ben only):

2004 - 295
    2005 - 268
    2006 - 469
    2007 - 404

It's not just about taking carries away from Parker, it's about taking carries away from the running game as a whole.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Pass attempts per season (Ben only):

2004 - 295
    2005 - 268
    2006 - 469
    2007 - 404

It's not just about taking carries away from Parker, it's about taking carries away from the running game as a whole.
    I just don't know how to phrase "value per play" any other way to get you to understand. Your either in complete denial or you really just don't understand.

first off, were talking about Willie Parker. He had more carries per game then anyone in pro football. So pleeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeeee stop saying he doesn't get ample opportunity! It's ridiculous! How many more carries does he need? His value per play is just not acceptable.