Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Woodley possibly live up to the hype?

Legend

User Info Menu

Can Woodley possibly live up to the hype?

Can Woodley possibly live up to the hype?
    Monday, June 16, 2008 | Posted by Kyle Chrise
    [url="http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/steelers/11621"]http://www.realfootball365.com/index.ph ... lers/11621[/url]

The bar is set pretty high this season for a number of Steelers. You have Ben Roethlisberger trying to prove he's worth that new Scrooge McDuck-like contract. There's Troy Polamalu, who's attempting to overcome his injuries and reclaim his spot as one of the best safeties in football. Left Tackle Marvel Smith is returning after back surgery with plenty to prove. He's anchoring an offensive line that gave up nearly four dozen sacks last year. But one Steeler is facing expectations that are almost impossible to meet, and he's played only 80 career NFL defensive snaps.

Now that Clark Haggans has moved on to Arizona, second-year linebacker LaMarr Woodley is expected to inherit the starting job on the left side. As a rookie, Woodley turned heads with four sacks during the 2007 season and two more in Pittsburgh's playoff loss to Jacksonville. That performance has led many in the media and quite a few in the locker room to believe Woodley will become the next great Steeler LOLB, continuing in the tradition of Brian Hinkle, Kevin Greene and Jason Gildon. Dozens of publications are predicting double-digit sacks from Woodley this season (ROLB James Harrison led the team with 10 in 2007). Some of his teammates, including defensive captain James Farrior, say they're expecting Woodley to reach the quarterback a dozen times this year. At least one report is already naming him one of the league's best at his position. It sounds like the 23-year-old should already buy a ticket to Honolulu (it's not a bad idea considering how fast airfare prices are going up).

A dozen sacks would surely cause Steeler Nation to fill the stands with No. 56 jerseys. But is the preseason hype setting up Woodley to be a letdown in his first season as a starter? The last time Pittsburgh had that kind of firepower was back in 2001, when Gildon had 12 sacks. Remember, though, when Gildon had his Pro Bowl breakout campaign in 2000, it was his seventh year with the team and fifth season as a starter. Woodley is being called on to produce similar numbers as a second-year player, not to mention a first-time starter.

If you ask the team's coaching staff, the key to Woodley's success is going to rely on him sticking to the game plan. Linebackers coach Keith Butler says "everybody talks about playmakers and that kind of stuff, but playmakers make plays because they execute the defense." He says Woodley is still learning how to do that. But the good news is he's a fast learner. Butler says he's probably as far along as any guy who made the transition from defensive lineman in college to linebacker in the NFL.

Woodley is facing one tough task. He could surpass his predecessor, but some would still consider him a letdown. However, it sounds like he has the head to handle it. Woodley certainly has the strength. In fact, the only things that may prevent Woodley from becoming the next Pittsburgh superstar are the expectations he's been given. And that's why Woodley has the biggest challenge of any Steeler this year

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Can Woodley possibly live up to the hype?

Yes.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would have to agree

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes, he is Lamarr Woodley.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Woodley will tie the Steeler's regular season sack record of 15...My prediction!

Legend

User Info Menu

Woodley will have 10-12 sacks
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

BIG FAN

I believe Woodley will definitely be a force to be reckoned with.
    To be honest, I dont look at all the buzz about him as hype. I think he showed enough last season in a limited capacity to prove he's a player every bit the caliber he's touted as. I also think 10-12 sacks as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

If not Woodley, then Harrison.....or both. Last year Harrison had 10 sacks, but that was with Haggans opposite him. No problem, block Clark with the TE, then you have multiple options in blocking Harrison. This year, any team trying to block Woodley with the TE will find out quickly that he is not Clark Haggans. The OC will then have to pick his poison, worry about the LOLB or the ROLB. Wood does have the advantage of being under the cover of Smith, but if the O overplays that side, all the more room for Harrison to roam.

If this tandem is even going to think about approaching Greene/Lloyd status, then it doesn't matter who gets to the QB first, because the other won't be far behind.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes and No. This is a complicated situation. If Woodley stays healthy and doesn't wear down in the second half (rotating in Davis and Arnold Harrison will help), he'll get the sacks. He had 2 and 1/2 as part of a rotation in a playoff game. However, Woodley does not move real well in space. So he will be a liability in coverage and quicker backs will have an easy time running around him. Woodley will probably develop the veteran savy that allows him to at least be an adequate player in space, but it will take time. Woodley can certainly be as good as Hinkle or Gildon. Kevin Greene may be a stretch, but we'll see. He is a similar player to Greene in that he is a power rusher who does not play real well in space.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

LaMarr Woodley can kill two stones with one bird.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.