Thread: Ask The Steelers: Bruce Davis Part 1

Legend

User Info Menu

Ask The Steelers: Bruce Davis Part 1

[url]http://news.steelers.com/article/89454/[/url]

Ask The Steelers: Bruce Davis Part 1
    Monday, June 16, 2008
    ASK THE STEELERS – BRUCE DAVIS – PART 1
    Steelers.com brings you the Ask the Steelers feature. Fans submitted the questions that were asked. Please understand that we receive an incredible number of questions for each player, with many of the questions being similar, and not all of the questions can be answered. We selected as many as possible, and took your questions to the current subject to get your answers.

From Lou Ellis in Newark, New Jersey: What was it like waiting to be drafted. Was it hard on Saturday not getting that call, especially with only two rounds now that day?

Bruce Davis: It was terrible for me. I was expected to go in the third round so it made it a long weekend. I wanted to sit there and watch the whole thing. It’s a once in a lifetime thing. I sat there and watched the first day and it was so long. I finally got the call the second day. It was terrible waiting all of that time.

From Dan Abrahams in Elyria, Ohio: What was your reaction when you got the call from the Steelers telling you they drafted you?

Bruce Davis: I still don’t know how to explain it. I just went nuts. It’s the perfect situation. The perfect opportunity. Everything seems to fit the right way. I was excited, but that is a harsh understatement.

From Joe Winslow in Bellefontaine, Ohio: What was your father’s reaction to the news that the Steelers drafted you since he played for a team that had such a rivalry with them?

Bruce Davis: He was just as excited as I was. We were sitting there together and we both just went nuts. He was excited. But he did throw in the old Raiders-Steelers comments.

From Reesa Joseph in Marietta, Ohio: Do you feel anymore pressure than a normal rookie to perform better since your father was in the NFL?

Bruce Davis: No. I have my own expectations of myself. I look at it as a blessing having him played before me. He taught me so many things. He is helpful to have. Everything I have to deal with he has already dealt with. He is my best resource. I have to live up to my own expectations.

From Andy Martin in St. Clairsville, Ohio: What type of advice has your father given you about the adjustment from college to the NFL?

Bruce Davis: To learn the playbook and as much as you can from the veterans. He said keep your mouth closed, listen, keep your eyes open and learn as much as you can. He told me to be on top of my game and study and watch film.

From Jessie Lewis is Charlotte, North Carolina: What was it like growing up for you with your dad playing in the NFL? Were you always around the game?

Bruce Davis: I have been around the game my whole life. It was just normal for me. I didn’t know any other way. It became normal.

From Bruce Peterson in Pleasantville, Pennsylvania: What was the UCLA/USC rivalry like and how do you think it will compare to the Steelers rivalries with teams like Cleveland?

Bruce Davis: I think UCLA-USC is one of the best rivalries in college football. That is just me and I am sure there are some people who would argue that. It’s definitely a serious rivalry. My parents went to UCLA so I grew up with that rivalry.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Ask The Steelers: Bruce Davis Part 1

From Andy Martin in St. Clairsville, Ohio: What type of advice has your father given you about the adjustment from college to the NFL?

Bruce Davis: To learn the playbook and as much as you can from the veterans. He said keep your mouth closed, listen, keep your eyes open and learn as much as you can. He told me to be on top of my game and study and watch film.
    I guess Winslow Sr. didn't pass along this advice to his punk kid...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not on the exact topic, but here is a pretty good highlight vid of Davis. Wonder if Dixon will ask him to refrain from removing his shoes during training camp!...

[youtube:2rlidana]Nbl03WpCpXk&hl[/youtube:2rlidana]

Legend

User Info Menu

Ask The Steelers: Bruce Davis Part 2
    Monday, June 23, 2008
    ASK THE STEELERS – BRUCE DAVIS – PART 2
    Steelers.com brings you the Ask the Steelers feature. Fans submitted the questions that were asked. Please understand that we receive an incredible number of questions for each player, with many of the questions being similar, and not all of the questions can be answered. We selected as many as possible, and took your questions to the current subject to get your answers.

From Dave Cannon in Los Angeles, California: What was your best memory from your time at UCLA?

Bruce Davis: Beating USC.

From Rod Irish in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania: Would you prefer to play linebacker or on the defensive line?
    Bruce Davis: I like it just as the Steelers have me doing it right now. I think it’s the perfect situation. I am going to have to learn a couple of new things but that is part of the process.

From Jonathan Schultz in Columbus, Ohio: How exciting is it for you to come to a team with such great tradition at the linebacker position?Bruce Davis: It’s great. I have a lot to live up to, I know that. Most of it is my own expectations. It helps just to know you are a part of a long line of great linebackers and you could potentially be the next one is a great feeling. With the veterans that we have now there is so much I can learn from them to make me a better football player.

From Lisa Jacobs in Bethel Park, Pennsylvania: Is there a player in the NFL right now that you would compare yourself to?Bruce Davis: I would say Jason Taylor because we are the same type of player. He gets to the quarterback. He can stand up and play in the two-point. He can also put his hand down and play defensive end. I do the same thing and we have the same kind of game.

From Tim Harrison in Canfield, Ohio: What do you prefer, sacking the quarterback or stuffing a running back for a loss and why?Bruce Davis: I have to say sacking the quarterback because that is a really big play. No matter what time of the game it happens it’s a really big play and they can lose a lot of yards.

From Jake Kurnot in Dunbar, Pennsylvania: Now that you have gone through your first minicamp, what are your initial impressions of the Steelers defense?
    Bruce Davis: We’ve got a talented group. There is no doubt about that. The veteran players are great. The younger players and rookies we have a lot of good things going. We’re the Steelers.

From Al Linderman in San Antonio, Texas: Considering where you grew up, and having played college ball in Southern California, do you think adjusting to the weather in Pittsburgh will be a concern for you, especially as the season wears on?

Bruce Davis: I don’t think so. When it comes down to it I play football no matter what condition it’s in. I am sure there will be some getting used it, but it shouldn’t take long.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.