Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Plasma TV

Legend

Re: Question about Plasma TV

I have LCD...no complaints.

LasVegasGuy

I bought a Panasonic 58" plasma about a year and a half ago and I love it. This by far the best TV I ever owned. People that come over to the house are absolutely amazed at the picture the screen is bright and the colors really pop out. I did alot of research between the DLP, LCD and the Plasma and in my opinion the Plasma had the best overall picture IMO. My son watches the backyardigans all the time which has that stupid little Nickelodeon image that sits in the lower right hand corner of every episode and I have yet to see the image burned in when the TV is off which was one of the things I was concerned about with Plasma. Since it was a rather expensive TV I went with the store warranty which was 5 years. Their warranty pretty much guaranteed me against any problems for the first 5 years and it was around $250. If they can't fix it they will give me the latest and greatest from Panasonic which is nice to know. Also, my Plasma generates some heat which is normal so if you are going to have it in a little room you may feel a temperature drop when you head to the kitchen .

Tell him to stick the calibration. And because you are offended by him asking you are taking your business elsewhere. That should be good for a free in store warranty or 10% off. Honestly, I don't even know if my Panasonic has a control for calibration. Besides that is so 2001. The TV's that required it where the old heavy floor models on wheels that used mirrors along with red, green and blue lamps. Any jarring of the TV would knock the lamps out of alignment thus needing someone to recalibrate the TV.

Hall of Famer

i love my plasma. all three are damn good though. my roommate watches hours of hte history channel and the H has never burned in. i'm about to kick his azz though if he doesn't get off the couch.
    this is summer and we're in florida! why the hell aren't you at the pool... speaking of which, on my way there now.
    later
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    I bought a Panasonic 58" plasma about a year and a half ago and I love it. This by far the best TV I ever owned. People that come over to the house are absolutely amazed at the picture the screen is bright and the colors really pop out. I did alot of research between the DLP, LCD and the Plasma and in my opinion the Plasma had the best overall picture IMO. My son watches the backyardigans all the time which has that stupid little Nickelodeon image that sits in the lower right hand corner of every episode and I have yet to see the image burned in when the TV is off which was one of the things I was concerned about with Plasma. Since it was a rather expensive TV I went with the store warranty which was 5 years. Their warranty pretty much guaranteed me against any problems for the first 5 years and it was around $250. If they can't fix it they will give me the latest and greatest from Panasonic which is nice to know. Also, my Plasma generates some heat which is normal so if you are going to have it in a little room you may feel a temperature drop when you head to the kitchen .
    Sweet, thanks LVG. Panasonic is the way i am going, but my know-it-all brother in-law keeps trying to tell me horror stories about Plasma and i thought i would check with the people i trust.
    you lot.

Panasonic makes a nice plasma. But, seriously look at the Sony SXRD side by side before you decide. Don't get bent on projection vs plasma. My SXRD has better resolution than our plasma.

As for the extra warranty. I worked in the insurance business (Prudential) for about a year before post grad. The general rule of thumb when purchasing insurance is...only buy insurance if it covers something that would be an unreal strain...ie car, home, healthy, life, disability. Insurance companies make money for a reason thus its not wise to buy insurance on everyday products like a TV. With that said, 250 bucks is not going to break you and it might bring less anxiety to your life. But for me, I never buy extended warrantys.

Starter

^
    I am going back tonight, i will check it out. What size is your SMG?

I have a 13 inch....oh you mean my TV?

My SXRD is 60 inches. I would put it beside any Plasma. You do not have to worry about any screen burn issues with it. The only thing is it's not as thin as a Plasma. If space is a serious problem you might have to go with a thinner TV. Most of the techies I asked (2 years ago mind you) said the SXRD is the best bang for the buck. I went with it and didn't regret it.

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Sweet, thanks LVG. Panasonic is the way i am going, but my know-it-all brother in-law keeps trying to tell me horror stories about Plasma and i thought i would check with the people i trust.
    you lot.

4 to 5 years ago I wouldn't have considered a Plasma because of "burn-in" but technology has improved so much that "burn-in" is pretty much non existent anymore. I'm with SMG on the warranty never buy them but since I never owned a Plasma before I figured what the heck for $50 a year I know I am covered. I also wouldn't get pressured into buying monster cables or a power surge protector. It's all crap. When you are working with 1's and 0's which digital picture basically is any cables will work just fine. Go with a cheap HDMI cable instead of the generic RCA inputs that come with the TV for the best possible picture. You can get a 6ft to 12 ft HDMI cable for less then $15 bucks on lineor at Wal-Mart. They will try to suck you into a $79 monster cable which is basically going to do the same thing as a cheap cable and that is transfer 1's and 0's.

i'd go with LED DLP. great picture, low price, and low maintenance. only drawback is not being a flat panel.