Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Plasma TV

Starter

Question about Plasma TV

Looking at buying a Panasonic plasma tv and had a question about the service plan, is this something i should get? With the recent improvements with plasma i didnt know if this would be a necessity or if i was being cornholed. Also, he was trying to push some "calibration" service on me for an extra $200+!! Supposed to make my picture cleaner.... Any input would be appreciated. I know NOTHING about Plasma tv's.

Thanks.

Re: Question about Plasma TV

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Looking at buying a Panasonic plasma tv and had a question about the service plan, is this something i should get? With the recent improvements with plasma i didnt know if this would be a necessity or if i was being cornholed. Also, he was trying to push some "calibration" service on me for an extra $200+!! Supposed to make my picture cleaner.... Any input would be appreciated. I know NOTHING about Plasma tv's.

Thanks.

I know nothing about Plasma, but it seems that LCD technology is the most stable and most popular of the three flat panel technologies. The reps I've talked to when purchasing my TVs all pointed to LCD technology because there's now "burnout" factor. I have a friend whose an avid CNN viewer and has a plasma, watches CNN all the time. Now when you turn the channel to anything other than CNN, you see silhouette of the CNN logo at the bottom because of the freq. of use of red at that portion of the screen. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful... I have three Samsung LCDs and I haven't had one problem with any of them.

Starter

Thanks AS, i appreciate the reply...i have heard about images getting burned onto the screen and was a little worried about that. I didnt know if itwas still an issue or not....

I agree with AS. LCD is the way many techies go. I have a plasma, an sxrd projection, and 3 LCD. I like them all. But for the money...the SXRD is sick. It has a better picture than my wifes plasma. As for service plans...just say no. Calibration...LOL...what the? They should already be "calibrated" for proper picture. They come ready to go. As for "burn out". If you change up your signal and channels you will be fine with plasma...but if you watch too many movies...you can get the bars...if you watch too much disney channel you will have little mickey ears burned into your screen. If you watch a variety of things on a plasma you will be fine.

You can always get this jewel.... a ghetto flatscreen:

Starter

Thanks SMG, good info..and thats what i said about the "Calibration"...they even had 2 tv's set next to one another with labels, 'Calibrated' 'NON-Calibrated' and some article from the NY Times. This one old dude was having a fit that the charge for this extra service was around $250.00...but he paid for it.

Thanks again.

AS pictures of my living room were meant for your eyes only. You have crossed the line.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Thanks SMG, good info..and thats what i said about the "Calibration"...they even had 2 tv's set next to one another with labels, 'Calibrated' 'NON-Calibrated' and some article from the NY Times. This one old dude was having a fit that the charge for this extra service was around $250.00...but he paid for it.

Thanks again.
    I read alot of HD forums before buying my TVs. I never seen anything about the need for "calibration". It sounds like a used car sales technique where they offer you unneeded services to stick it to ya. What I suggest is becoming a member of an HD TV forum and ask a few questions. Many of those guys do this kind of thing for a living and they have been very very helpful. Hdtvvoice.com is the place I go to with my questions.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    You can always get this jewel.... a ghetto flatscreen:

worst idea ever...

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    AS pictures of my living room were meant for your eyes only. You have crossed the line.

I didn't think anyone would recognize your manroom because it was before we painted it. My deepest apologies.