Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers take to the bowling lanes

Steelers take to the bowling lanes
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008

By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

[url]http://news.steelers.com/MediaGallery/slideshow/90704/[/url]

The Steelers traded in their cleats for bowling shoes on Tuesday as they opted for a day at the lanes instead of hitting the field for another OTA practice.

“It’s good to get a chance to hang out in a different environment” said cornerback Deshea Townsend. “It’s always a lot of fun to do something other than football together. It gives you a chance to know the kind of people your teammates are.

“It’s also another chance to compete and everybody’s true competitive nature comes out. When people get to talking the competitive side comes out. You get to see a lot of different personalities.”

When you get that many competitive athletes out there pride is definitely on the line.

Rookie Dennis Dixon, who enjoys bowling in his free time, had a strong showing. He bowled a 207 in his second game after getting the kinks out.

“The first game isn’t always good. I had to warm up,” said Dixon. “But I wanted to show I am a good bowler and I am willing to compete against anybody. We compete all of the time. It’s fun to get away from football and compete in something else for a while.”

Punter Dan Sepulveda, who was disappointed with his poor showing when he went bowling last year, has been getting in plenty of practice since then and had the best score of the day bowling a 237 game.

“It started last year when I was awful,” said Sepulveda. “My highest game last year at Unity Bowl was 117. I can’t do that. I can’t let myself do that. I knew I was better than that. I practiced and came out and showed a little improvement.”

Sepulveda might have had a slight advantage though.

“I had my own ball,” said Sepulveda. “It’s something I do carry with me. I keep it in my car. I made sure it was in my car this particular day.”

And of course, that didn’t go unnoticed by his teammates.

“He had his own shoes on too,” said a smiling Townsend. “Everybody else was forced to play with the things they had there.I don’t think it’s fair. His score is tops, but it’s like Spygate with an asterisk next to it.

Townsend's line was too funny!
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers take to the bowling lanes

SpyGate Bowling Shoes:

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Think Sepulveda is a little competitive...got to love it
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Think Sepulveda is a little competitive...got to love it

Reading some of the fodder written up on him last year, it stated that he was extremely type A, like to "narotic" levels. I guess the bowling thing is just one aspect of his life that needed work. If he did this with bowling, I wonder what he did in the offseason to get him prepared for football. If the shoes and the ball are any indication of his "preparation" then looks like we might have some really good ST numbers when he's involved.

Backup

User Info Menu

Bowling. Now there is something I can talk about.

That is a sport that is fixed. Especially at the local level.

The oil Patters on the lanes control everything. Everynow again Bowlers will
    just go into huge Slumps and their only recourse is to buy the new "hot ball."
    The Bowling proprieter fixes the lanes which makes bowlers struggle. Hence they
    sell new bowling balls. They then improve the condition of the "shot" so that the Bowlers
    experience success with their new ball. Hence they will come back for more in the future.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sep's competitiveness resulted in improving his score by more than double, from 117 last year to 237 this year. If he takes the same approach to his punting from last year to this year, his average punt should be about 85 yards. Let's just hope he doesn't pull a Munson. :P
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.