Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweeds impact on Washington

Sweeds impact on Washington

With Nate Washington only having 1-year on his contract and with a more experienced Dallas Baker and 2nd round pick Limas Sweed pushing for playing time what is the future of Nate with the Steleers?

I think Nate would be a good threat as a #4 wide receiver, but will Nate settle for that (or #5) or will he look to go elsewhere for more money and increased playing time?

Hall of Famer

Re: Sweeds impact on Washington

I am probably one of the minority that likes Washington... But he has had his issues, irregardless of improvements last season. I think he will more than likely stay as a #4 because he'll realize that the open market may not be that great for him. But with the roster of Ward, Holmes, and Sweed in front of him, it will pretty much guarantee limited action, IMO.... Now if Baker pans out as well, he (Nate) will be #5... Baker is gonna be a crazy-good red-zone target, IMO.

“One thing you ask about a handful of guys in this draft: Can they make a big-guy play? Meaning, you’re a tall guy, you have range, you have size, but do you actually go up and pick a ball off a DB’s head? A lot of guys are tall and big, and they never seem to ever play above their framework. This kid does that.”
    WR coach Randy Fichtner on Limas Sweed

Backup

Nate "no hands" Washington has been around how long now? Two years on the PS and moved up to the 48 man roster last year I believe. Nate improved a little last season, but hardly enough. Frankly, I've grown weary of watching him be a non-factor. Yes, he did catch a few TD passes this past season, but my stress levels go up each time the ball goes his way. He's also grossly over paid. Can we trade him? We could use the cap room and the roster spot.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

BIG FAN

I hope it lights a fire under Nates az.
    I see a lot of Dallas Baker on the board lately, you guys think he will actually play this year or is it a lot of wishful thinking. I myself am still undecided about him.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    I hope it lights a fire under Nates az.
    I see a lot of Dallas Baker on the board lately, you guys think he will actually play this year or is it a lot of wishful thinking. I myself am still undecided about him.
    BF, in my opinion as stated before, if he added a few pounds and mastered the routes, he's golden...

You're right, there has been alot of Baker banter lately... Does anyone know how he came into OTAs' looking "weight-wise"?....

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    Nate "no hands" Washington has been around how long now? Two years on the PS and moved up to the 48 man roster last year I believe. Nate improved a little last season, but hardly enough. Frankly, I've grown weary of watching him be a non-factor. Yes, he did catch a few TD passes this past season, but my stress levels go up each time the ball goes his way. He's also grossly over paid. Can we trade him? We could use the cap room and the roster spot.
    Nate did not improve last year. He had fewer catches in 2007 than 2006 and his yards per catch average was less. For all the opportunities he has had last year should had been his year, but when Holmes and Ward were both out in the Seattle game it was Ced Wilson that had the good game not Washington. What does that tell you?

This year with other options at #5, Washington is not good value at $1.4M particularly since he apparently can't play Special Teams. For a #5 I'll take Reid, Bloom, Trannon or Rucker. At least you can get them on the field on Special Teams.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    Nate spent only one year getting used to the NFL after coming in as an UDFA from tiny Division II Tiffin. He only saw action in the final game of the regular season of his rookie campaign (but had no catches), although his first NFL catch was was a 13 yard sideline pattern to convert an important 3rd and 7 on the first scoring drive of the AFC Championship Game in Denver, contributing as a rookie during our Super Bowl run. In his first two years after that "redshirt" transition period, he has put up some impressive numbers, all things considered.

Here are Nate Washington's two-season numbers, along with the two-season numbers of WR's that the Steelers drafted on the first day of the draft from major college conferences like the Big Ten or the SEC (Georgia, Michigan State, Indiana, and Ohio State:

64 catches for 1074 yards and 9 TD's (16.8 yards per catch average)
    76 catches for 884 yards and 7 TD's (11.6 yards per catch average)
    88 catches for 1281 yards and 6 TD's (14.6 yards per catch average)
    84 catches for 853 yards and 3 TD's (10.2 yards per catch average)
    101 catches for 1766 yards and 10 TD's (17.5 yards per catch average)

I'm not suggesting that Nate will ever be as good an NFL player as Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Antwaan Randle El, or Santonio Holmes, but the fact that his early career numbers as an UDFA coming out of tiny Division II Tiffin are in the same ballpark as the early career numbers of first day picks from major Division I school shows me that Nate takes WAY too much undeserved slack from Steeler fans.

I really think nate is similar to ike. nate has the size, speed, and actual route-running ability to make a big impact in a game... just as ike does. Thing is, nate has been mired with some dropped balls (just like Ike), but more importantly, by being behind hines ward, first-rounder santonio, and FA vet ced wilson.

thing is, Ike hasn't had any real FA or first round draft challengers to his position... only B-mac who was a 2nd rounder and has been a tad slow in developing. Nate has been thrust into some big games with some drops and some big TD catches, so he's definately got more than just potential.

nate finished the last two games of the season with 3 TD's... maybe his 4th year will prove that he belongs?

I really see sweed hitting the sp. teams the most this year, and he will develop throughout the season with absolutely NO hurry needed, since we have a pretty sick arsenal of pass-catching weapons, including our new stud RB.

I see the pecking order to start the year as hines, holmes, and nate at WR, with sweed and baker/reid rounding out the top 5.
    by midseason, it could me a bit different... but we will have to wait and see.

these things are addictive, like delicious beer.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Nate did not improve last year. He had fewer catches in 2007 than 2006 and his yards per catch average was less. For all the opportunities he has had last year should had been his year, but when Holmes and Ward were both out in the Seattle game it was Ced Wilson that had the good game not Washington. What does that tell you?

This year with other options at #5, Washington is not good value at $1.4M particularly since he apparently can't play Special Teams. For a #5 I'll take Reid, Bloom, Trannon or Rucker. At least you can get them on the field on Special Teams.
    You're right about fewer catches last season O, as well as yds/catch, as these stats show...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/s ... yerId=9307

But he had one more TD than the previous year, and the stats don't dictate the % of actual catches v attempts... He wasn't thrown to as much. ... As for the ONE game where Ceddy had a decent game, it really doesn't tell me anything in particular other than Ced was "on" that day... They all have 'em. ... I will respectfully disagree about Reid (Mr. Injury-Prone) and Bloom (one sport doesn't make you great in another)... The others I can not actually comment on because I don't know enough about them...

I have to admit that Nate's performance last year was a beacon of light in comparison to his 2006 numbers. But with that said, he still managed to have some drive killing drops come his way (two to my recollection). Mix that in with the fact that he we had poor depth at WR due to all the injuries and he still didn't have at least one break out game. I think that he's had opportunity and I think its time to give some others a chance to help this ball club win some games. As far as his route running, I can't see anyone making any remarks on this aspect of his game, I think this was his week point as a WR last year. My two yen.

The pecking order.... Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Baker, and Nate.