Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dixon: Steal of the Draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Dixon: Steal of the Draft?

[url]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_571850.html[/url]

I have liked the pick from the beginning. Can he take those obvious gifts to the next level?
    Trolls are people too.

Re: Dixon: Steal of the Draft?

You and me both shawn. Dixon isnt anything like a Vince Young. This kid can actually throw the football. There will be a lot of suprized Steelers fans when they see this kid play.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ok. Is he going to be groomed to be purely a backup QB? If so, that is a good thing. Getting a quality backup QB is good, but I don't know that I would qualify that, by itself, as a steal.

Is he going to be a Slash or ARE type player as well?? NOw we could be getting closer to a steal.

Will he be turned around as trade bait in a year or 2? If so, what would we get for him? Probably a third round, tops. So, that would be a good thing, but is that a "steal".

Don't get me wrong -- it probably was a decent, value pick. But he probably won't be content to play 2nd string QB forever, so he is probably gone after the first contract -- unless we get some trade value.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Backup

User Info Menu

When Dixon first visited the FO I really did'nt believe that he would be drafted by the Steelers. My thinking was right along with everyone else in that...he's a very good athlete, a playmaker. He might make a good slash if the Steelers picked him. Now according to the FO he's going to be a QB all the way. I'm alright with that. He adds much value for a #5 pick. If he develops into the real deal we could be looking at some future high draft picks or at the very least some good insurance should God forbid Ben go down.
    I believe the Steelers picked up some momentum with this draft. All indications are that there is a visible air of excitement during the OTAs. That same momentum will carry thru camp and into the regular season. It has been a long time since I have been this excited about a Steeler team. Barring serious injury to key players 11-4 or 12-3 is within reach IMO.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Legend

User Info Menu

Dixon is not really a slash type player...he is a QB first...he can run second. I believe the Steelers drafted him...to groom him to be a back up. But, I think year 2-3 he will prove to be good enough to start for most NFL teams. He has a gun, he throws a very catchable ball...he can throw the deep post...he can place a ball with touch or laser it between defenders. Oh yea...then he can scramble a bit. He is the complete package at QB. We got ourselves a steal folks. The question...what will we do with him? Trade Bait? Back up?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

PS Dixon scored a 27 on the Wonderlic. The guy is sharp.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    When Dixon first visited the FO I really did'nt believe that he would be drafted by the Steelers. My thinking was right along with everyone else in that...he's a very good athlete, a playmaker. He might make a good slash if the Steelers picked him. Now according to the FO he's going to be a QB all the way. I'm alright with that. He adds much value for a #5 pick. If he develops into the real deal we could be looking at some future high draft picks or at the very least some good insurance should God forbid Ben go down.
    I believe the Steelers picked up some momentum with this draft. All indications are that there is a visible air of excitement during the OTAs. That same momentum will carry thru camp and into the regular season. It has been a long time since I have been this excited about a Steeler team. Barring serious injury to key players 11-4 or 12-3 is within reach IMO.
    Planning on skipping the final regular season game, Hoss? J/K
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Another attribute that separates Dixon from Vince Young, who, by all accounts, seems to have the mental acuity of a granite slab.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Another attribute that separates Dixon from Vince Young, who, by all accounts, seems to have the mental acuity of a granite slab.
    What's acuity mean? I only got a 7 on my wonderlic and am confused.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Another fine point by SMG.

ANd to add what you said above...yes he is more of a passer than he is a running QB. But dont get fooled...he can run.