Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dixon: Steal of the Draft?

Re: Dixon: Steal of the Draft?

Smart, strong character, fast, terrific arm, poised, can make all the throws...
    Dixon is a winner in every sense of the word. He is our most underrated pick.
    I look foward to seeing this guy develop.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I will ask this again. How is this guy the steal of the draft?

I would be excited if we didn't have Ben - that Dixon could be the QB of the future.

But the most he can be is a backup QB -- and that is a good thing but not enough for me to go apesheet over.

What kind of realistic trade value could we get in a couple of years? I mean, the only way we could get something is if he is playing and excelling -- and that means both Ben and Batch are out.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of like the pick -- I'm just not feeling the excuberance that you all are.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene

I would be excited if we didn't have Ben - that Dixon could be the QB of the future.

But the most he can be is a backup QB -- and that is a good thing but not enough for me to go apesheet over.

What kind of realistic trade value could we get in a couple of years? I mean, the only way we could get something is if he is playing and excelling -- and that means both Ben and Batch are out.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of like the pick -- I'm just not feeling the excuberance that you all are.

He could be our Matt Schaub.

Ditto... Granted, Batch is aging and we'll need an eventual replacement... but, I'm not sure that Dixon will be ready by the time Batch's contract is up.

And in the games I saw, Dixon seemed streaky with his passing. I know, I know... llots of QBs can be streaky.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

But to be our Schaub, wouldn't he have to get semi-significant playing time?

And that would mean Ben/Batch would both be out/unavailable.

I just don't see how that happens.

Unless Dan Snyder gets a woody for him and then anything is possible.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Batch may not be here much longer (I believe this is the last year of his contract). Being a Pittsburgh kid, he is likely to give the team a hometown discount to stay, but that is not necessarily a guarantee. Plus, he'll be 34 after this season. Even if they extend Charlie for another year or two, Dixon could be the primary backup before his rookie deal is up (and with Ben's reckless abandon playing style coupled with the weaknesses along the o-line, it is not out of the realm of possibility that he could miss extended time due to injury...knock on wood). I think the Falcons traded Schaub after tagging him with the highest RFA tender (but traded him for two 2nd round picks and a swap of picks in the first #10 for #8 overall instead). At that point, if this kid shows promise, he might be worth more as a solid backup option in case Ben goes down, rather than as trade bait. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Batch may not be here much longer (I believe this is the last year of his contract). Being a Pittsburgh kid, he is likely to give the team a hometown discount to stay, but that is not necessarily a guarantee. Plus, he'll be 34 after this season. Even if they extend Charlie for another year or two, Dixon could be the primary backup before his rookie deal is up (and with Ben's reckless abandon playing style coupled with the weaknesses along the o-line, it is not out of the realm of possibility that he could miss extended time due to injury...knock on wood). I think the Falcons traded Schaub after tagging him with the highest RFA tender (but traded him for two 2nd round picks and a swap of picks in the first #10 for #8 overall instead). At that point, if this kid shows promise, he might be worth more as a solid backup option in case Ben goes down, rather than as trade bait. We'll see.

If we see the type of maturity and development that Dixon is suspected to be able to carry, then I'd feel a little bit more secure if (hope never happens) Ben were to go down. Don't get me wrong, Charlie has proven time and again he's a very competent number 2, but if this offense is going to reach the potential it is billed to possibly have, I'd rather have Dixon at number 2... not only for the longevity but for the arm strength as well.

And I addressed your statement before. When you get a guy capable of being a quality starter at QB in the 5th round...thats a steal...no matter if he is a back up, or a starter. I don't know what the future might bring...but lets say this if Ben decides to ride his bike without a helmet again...we will all be glad that a guy like Dixon is the back up.

Lets also remember that if Dixon proves to be as good as I believe him to be...teams would give their right arm in a trade for him.

Hall of Famer

Shawn, I really do hope you are correct. But I guess I just don't see as much in his qb talents as you do.... I saw countless Oregon games (being a Pac-10 weenie that I am), and just didn't see that much to get excited about... Yes, he was the resounding force that drove that team. Yes, he has a better than above-average arm... But so did Akili Smith when he was there... The factor that made him (Dixon) effective was his feet. He was a serious big-time scrambler. Almost "Vick-esque"... Yea, he can throw, but that isn't what lead to his success against opposing defenses.

...Will his re-hab from surgery be complete enough for him to make the active roster this season? Personally, I doubt it... That means Batch will be here hopefully into '09, because Dixon will effectively be a rookie "playing-time-wise" in that season... At that point, I'd love to see him as the back-up... But as many folks have said, in that role as #2, you really don't want him on the field because that means Ben is not.

....Let's take this further... Just to include these stats...
    He had 20 TDs' and 4 picks in '07. But in '06 he had 12 TDs' and 14 picks.... He rushed for 9 TDs' and 583 yards in '07. And in '06 rushed for 2 TDs' and 442 yards...

You and I see his scrambling ability a bit differently. I think he shows tremendous
    poise in the pocket. He looks to throw first, run second. I mean the man averaged about 240 yards a game passing if I remember correctly. Yes, he can run but thats a very good thing.