Thread: Intangibles.

BIG FAN

Intangibles.

What are our real intanibles with our team?
    I have seen a lot of stats to back up or put down past performances, and that's cool.
    But what I would like to know from yunz is what you think we bring this year ,we as part of the Planet possibly dont know about (or God forbid )have overlooked. Guessing on draft picks dont count. Any thoughts?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Intangibles.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    I have seen a lot of stats to back up or put down past performances, and that's cool.
    But what I would like to know from yunz is what you think we bring this year ,we as part of the Planet possibly dont know about (or God forbid )have overlooked. Guessing on draft picks dont count. Any thoughts?
    Define intangibles?

If you mean unknowns that we hope turn out positive, I'd say the biggest is Ryan Clark, Marvel Smith and Aaron Smith's return to full health. Possibly another is Starks' desire to be a starter again. With him at RT, I think we are a better team.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Define intangibles?

If you mean unknowns that we hope turn out positive, I'd say the biggest is Ryan Clark, Marvel Smith and Aaron Smith's return to full health. Possibly another is Starks' desire to be a starter again. With him at RT, I think we are a better team.
    I always took intangibles to mean the things that can't be described through stats, the things that are really hard to win arguments because there is no real, hard proof about it. Intangibles are things that Ben has. As good a statistical QB as he is, he just has "it". He's a winner. Like when he bruses off four rushers and at the last minut finds willie out of the backfield for a 20-yard gain. When you just sit there and shake your head . . . "how in the hell did he do that?" . . . those are intangibles.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kemo

I really like Kemo and look forward to seeing him get more opportunities. He will not be successful like Faneca was (out in space), but he can be more effective getting a push at the LOS and standing up to bull rush moves from big DTs.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Define intangibles?

I always took intangibles to mean the things that can't be described through stats, the things that are really hard to win arguments because there is no real, hard proof about it. Intangibles are things that Ben has. As good a statistical QB as he is, he just has "it". He's a winner. Like when he bruses off four rushers and at the last minut finds willie out of the backfield for a 20-yard gain. When you just sit there and shake your head . . . "how in the hell did he do that?" . . . those are intangibles.
    I totally agree. I hope he keeps "it" for a longtime to come.

I want our defense to come back with that nastiness intangible. That "go ahead, run the damned thing.... " attitude.

Legend

User Info Menu

Heart...that is why I am a Steeler fan.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Some people might not agree, but I think Tomlin's coaching style is a huge intangible. Players respect him and want to play for him. His quiet yet fierce demeanor and drive for winning seem evident everytime he talks. I can just imagine what some younger players think when he is talking to them or just gives them a stare when they do something wrong. He just looks like a guy you don't want to pi$$ off, and he doesn't even have to say a word. You just know he's ticked.

As far as on the field, I think we have none regarding x's and o's. WR blocking (hopefully Ward spreads his knowledge down to the youngsters some more) would be the closest thing to it.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we have a team with many studs who want to prove something. And, you have to give Tomlin props for making their opportunity real. Anyone can earn the job, just produce. Guys like Timmons, Woodley, Harrison, and many more all have something to prove.

The O-line has something to prove. The running back corps, etc. You would think that the backfield has some renewed hope when they see the D-line pressuring the QB.

I just sense a new energy that can carry the team beyond their skills. Add to this the fact that the schedule has caused the talking heads to put the team on the obit page, and the guys in Black and Gold have to be hungry.

Honestly, I think this will be a great year for us.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

coaching is big.
    will tomlin influence the O a little more?
    will lebeau continue to field a dominant d
    troy is always an intangible when it comes to team.
    how will we respond to the schedule?

i like boobs

but how bad will the rest of the division be?