Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Timmons Poised to Unseat Foote

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Timmons Poised to Unseat Foote

Quote Originally Posted by mshifko
    i used to get into many heated arguments on the other board because i was a timmons supporter...i think with time, everyone will see that he is a very talented, athletic linebacker, who can make plays and help us win football games...

You used to also love Ced.....LOL (j/k)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I have a feeling that this situation is going to work out great for the team. I think Timmons is going to have a monster year and to me it seems as if Foote is kind of resigned to the fact that Timmons will be taking his job, and I don't think it really has anything to do with what was said to be the "Politics of the game"! Foote even said himself that this kid looks like he can play. I am very excited to see what our D can do with a couple of good young LB's contributing! I think it is going to be a very good year for this unit! Foote will be a nice compliment to LT and Farrior. It will be a nice situation to have a good quality experienced LB backing up the starters and rotating in keeping them fresh, especially early in the year when the weather is warm.

I expect Big, Big things from LT this year!
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chavezz
    What he MIGHT be able to do though is move over to Foote's spot after Timmons takes his? I'm just not sure if Farrior has enough mass/strength to consistently "fill the hole" and take on the full back and o lineman.
    Farrior is both taller & heavier than both Foote & Timmons - & is faster than Foote...I think he'd do fine.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeld95
    It would be worse if Foote wasn't pissed about the possibility of losing his job. I would think this will bring out the competitor in him and just make both him and Timmons better due to the competition for the job....I see this as a good thing! They are both going to see playing time.
    I agree you wouldn't want Foote to just roll over and let Timmons take his job, making him work for it will make them and the team better.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Quote Originally Posted by steeld95
    It would be worse if Foote wasn't pissed about the possibility of losing his job. I would think this will bring out the competitor in him and just make both him and Timmons better due to the competition for the job....I see this as a good thing! They are both going to see playing time.
    I agree you wouldn't want Foote to just roll over and let Timmons take his job, making him work for it will make them and the team better.
    But these players are far more knowledgeable about football and what it takes to be successful. As much on an emotional level Foote wants to fight for his position and is saying all the right things, you have to figure that after a year he sees that Timmons can do things athletically that he could never hope to do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Timmons takes Foote's position this year and Farriors next year. If Foote is a good "soldier", he'll remain with the team, back up for a year and then reclaim his position when Timmons transitions to Farrior's spot.

I don't see Farrior holding on after this year unless he accepts a back up role. With his age and decreasing speed he's not going to be able to keep up with those TE that run like WR's.

What he MIGHT be able to do though is move over to Foote's spot after Timmons takes his? I'm just not sure if Farrior has enough mass/strength to consistently "fill the hole" and take on the full back and o lineman.

Something to think about.
    it coudl very well mean that Timmons plays part-time this year until he gets his chance with Farrior's departure next year....

I could be wrong, but, doesn't Farrior outweight Foote? I thought Foote was smallish early in his career and that's what kept him off the field...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Timmons takes Foote's position this year and Farriors next year. If Foote is a good "soldier", he'll remain with the team, back up for a year and then reclaim his position when Timmons transitions to Farrior's spot.

I don't see Farrior holding on after this year unless he accepts a back up role. With his age and decreasing speed he's not going to be able to keep up with those TE that run like WR's.

it coudl very well mean that Timmons plays part-time this year until he gets his chance with Farrior's departure next year....

I could be wrong, but, doesn't Farrior outweight Foote? I thought Foote was smallish early in his career and that's what kept him off the field...
    I've had 2 people tell me that Farrior is bigger than Foote (just looked it up and Farrior is listed 4 pounds heavier on the OFMB) but he is 1 inch taller too. So I guess that in reality they are the same size.

It just seems like Foote is more of a plugger, where Farrior is more athletic and light on his feet.

I'm ok with LT playing part time then taking over for Farrior next year because I think he's worth it. However, the knucklheads in Steeler Nation will have a flippin' heart attack.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille

I've had 2 people tell me that Farrior is bigger than Foote (just looked it up and Farrior is listed 4 pounds heavier on the OFMB) but he is 1 inch taller too. So I guess that in reality they are the same size.

It just seems like Foote is more of a plugger, where Farrior is more athletic and light on his feet.

I'm ok with LT playing part time then taking over for Farrior next year because I think he's worth it. However, the knucklheads in Steeler Nation will have a flippin' heart attack.
    I think it's that when Foote was drafted he was considered undersized.... he's put on pounds. He was around 230 as a rook. That's still stuck in my head.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Even if Timmons doesn't start the regular season out at "Will"...It is going to be hard for the staff not to insert him by the off week. He will be the nickel/dime LB and I expect him to make plays from that position. His play on 3rd down is going to be enough for Tomlin/Lebeau to get him on the field and let him learn from any mistakes early. One injury at any position during the preseason, Timmons is starting!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mark my words, if Foote doesn't win the starting job, he will take out his frustrations on return men as he'll play quite a bit of kick coverage.

BTW, who is Farrior's backup currently?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.