Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more , sports is fixed stuff

Backup

User Info Menu

more , sports is fixed stuff

[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8231176/Reportonaghy-says-refs-fixed-playoff-series"]http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8231 ... off-series[/url]

The Tim Donaghy scandal just got more serious.

The disgraced former NBA referee told authorities in a four-page letter released Tuesday that two officials conspired to fix the outcome of a 2002 playoff series among other games.

The fix is in?Tim Donaghy did not specifically mention which series in 2002 was fixed, but the Lakers-Kings Western Conference finals was the only series that fits his allegations.

Game 6 officials: Dick Bavetta, Ted Bernhardt, Bob Delaney
    Court documents filed by Donaghy's lawyer detailed the "inner-workings" of a plot in which top league executives used referees to manipulate the games. Donaghy claims two referees were "company men" whose job was to extend a playoff series in 2002 to a seventh game.

The documents did not name the series, but the Lakers-Kings Western Conference finals was the only series in 2002 that went to a seventh game, with the Lakers winning Game 6, 106-102.

The report said the referees allegedly ignored flagrant fouls committed by the team that needed to win and called phantom fouls against the other team which led to two of their players fouling out. The team supposedly favored by the refs won Games 6 and 7 to win the series, according to the allegations.

"Our big guys get 20 fouls tonight and Shaq gets four? You tell me how the game went," Kings coach Rick Adelman said after Game 6 of that series. "It's just the way it is. Obviously, they got the game called the way they wanted to get it called."

The letter doesn't name anyone involved. Donaghy's attorney and prosecutors have declined to comment. The league has denied the scandal goes beyond Donaghy and two co-defendants.

According to the document, Donaghy also said "league officials would tell referees that they should withhold calling technical fouls on certain star players because doing so hurt ticket sales and television ratings."

Donaghy also said refs broke league rules by routinely fraternizing with players, coaches and team management and that the resulting inappropriate relationships may have influenced the outcomes of games. He claims one general manager in 2004 made a game-day phone call to referees to encourage them to call more personal fouls against an opponent.

Donaghy claims referees have accepted autographs, merchandise and meals from team representatives. He said one official used a team's facility to exercise and another played tennis with an NBA coach.

The veteran referee pleaded guilty last year to felony charges alleging he took cash payoffs from gamblers and bet on games. He faces up to 33 months in prison.

John Lauro, Donaghy's lawyer, filed the letter to a federal judge because none of the information was included in the government's letter to the judge seeking leniency for Donaghy when he is sentenced, according to the New York Daily News.

The report said Lauro withheld the names of those involved because the feds might investigate the situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: more , sports is fixed stuff

This is the genius that bets on these "fixed" games.

LasVegasGuy

I wonder if this guy had anything to do with it.

Legend

User Info Menu

This doesn't surprise me one bit.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    I wonder if this guy had anything to do with it.

That pic is absolutely brilliant. Thanks for the chuckle.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    If you had real solid information that tonights lottery would produce the numbers 432, would you play it?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    If you had real solid information that tonights lottery would produce the numbers 432, would you play it?
    When that much money is involved, everything is fixed in some way. It might not always go the way of the fixer, but in my opinion everyone is on the take.

It used to be the players when salaries weren't enormous, now its the refs, umps etc. When the officials make as much as the players, the won't bite, but someone else will.

Look at the Belmont, did Desormeux take a dive? Looks like it. I would like to see who he or Big Brown's trainer bet on this weekend.

How about seeing Deville's boy tap out last Saturday, only for him to come back and win the fight, (in the best interest of his MMA league of course). Business in general is done with "payoffs".

Obviously I am being a bit cynical, but to hear Rooney say he is fine with the Pats*, sort of puts everything into perspective after reading his book.

Its all for money and entertainment. Don't bet unless you get a good tip!

Legend

User Info Menu

The NBA refs have more control over the outcome of games than any other sport. Guys like Bill Simmons have been cracking jokes about when the league decides to use certain refs like Bavetta or Bennett Salvatore for years, but suddenly those jokes don't seem to be as funny.

When the Clemens, Donaghy, and Vick stories all were breaking at roughly the same time, giving black eyes to the 3 major sports leagues, we heard a ton of Clemens and Vick coverage, but it seems like the Donaghy scandal was swept under the rug in short order, despite being the most directly damaging to the integrity of an entire sport.

We can all agree that the whole Spygate incident sucks, but that should be peanuts compared to referees fixing games. This could get ugly...real ugly.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    The Daily Number is chump change. You got the PowerBall numbers for me?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Match fixing is definitely not new and these aren't the first leagues to have a potential problem on their hands. Just 2-3 years ago or so, the highest Italian soccer league (Serie A) had a huge match fixing scandal that actually relegated one of the best teams out of the top professional league, to go play in the 2nd league for a year and earn its way back into the top flight.

I don't want people thinking it can't happen. What Donaghy is saying could very well be false, but you gotta at least listen and investigate...
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285