Thread: NFL To Change Logo in 2008

Kipper

NFL To Change Logo in 2008

[url="http://www.milehighreport.com/2007/8/30/234732/746"]http://www.milehighreport.com/2007/8/30/234732/746[/url]

According to the report, the NFL is looking to make an "evolutionary, not radical" change. Below are the specifics of the change --

The league is creating a leaner, meaner version of the iconic logo that will debut at the NFL draft in April, 2008. The revamped shield will be slightly taller and thinner, with a new football, fewer stars and darker colors, says Lisa Baird, the NFL's senior vice president of marketing. The redesign marks the first changes to the shield since 1980.

*The new shield features eight stars (representing the eight AFC and NFC divisions) vs. 25 on the current logo. Why 25? It's a mystery. After researching the shield's origins, the designers could find no reason for 25 stars, says Jaime Weston, director of brand and creative operations. The shield logo was first used around 1940, two decades after the NFL's founding in 1920.

* The football at the center has been redesigned to resemble the ball atop the Vince Lombardi championship trophy, says Baird. It replaces the old-fashioned pigskin nicknamed the "Hamburger" inside league offices.

*NFL vendors will probably thank the league for switching to fewer stars. Some vendors, without permission, have used fewer stars rather than shoehorning 25 tiny stars into smaller shields on hats and T-shirts.

Tinkering with one of the country's most powerful and ubiquitous sports brands will be a risky and expensive business. NFL sponsors such as Reebok, Riddell, Wilson and EA Sports will have to switch shields on everything from uniforms (players wear three logos at the neck and waistlines and on the helmet) and licensed merchandise to the official "Duke" game ball and Madden video game. Even groundskeepers will have to adopt the new shield at NFL stadiums.

But Baird believes the cleaner, more modern symbol will "pop" better during TV telecasts. The less-busy logo will also show up better on "third screens" increasingly used by sports fans: cellphones, laptops, iPods and PDAs.

I guess no one can claim the NFL is afraid of change....

-----------

You can click on the link to see the logo for yourself but I was nice enough to take the time out to give you 2 that are in for final discussion...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: NFL To Change Logo in 2008

I thought the bottom one was already in effect.

Kipper

Quote Originally Posted by Les 74
    I thought the bottom one was already in effect.
    The bottom one is the one that you will find plastered around Goodell's offices and wherever you see Phil Simms and Jim Nantz. The Top one is the one you see plastered at all of the Patriots facilities.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think they should go with the Patriots logo one, it fits more. Freakin jacka$$es!
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...