Thread: Owens missed random drug test

Legend

User Info Menu

Owens missed random drug test

Posted: 1 hours 10 minutes ago
    Owens calls missed random drug test
    'not a big deal'
    Associated Press

[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808bf54c&template=with-video&confirm=true"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true[/url]
    IRVING, Texas -- Terrell Owens acknowledged Monday having missed a random drug test several weeks ago, blaming it on a "communication problem involving cell phone numbers."

He also said he was in New York last week talking about his absence with league officials the day he agreed to a $34 million new contract with the Dallas Cowboys.

"I'm not really worried about anything," Owens said Monday afternoon in an interview with The Associated Press. "It's not a big deal. Anything I do is going to grab headlines. I have nothing to hide. I've made a statement and that's it. It's basically a dead issue."

In the rest of the statement, Owens said: "It was openly discussed and cleared up in a meeting that I had at the NFL office last week. I have been in the NFL for over 12 years and have never had a positive test for substance of any kind. That includes tests that took place as recently as last month. The matter was resolved to everyone's satisfaction last Tuesday, and everyone has moved on."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones also released a statement in which he referred to the testing issue as "a procedural matter that was resolved last week."

"We were aware of all of the facts prior to Terrell's meeting in New York, and we had no reservations about extending his contract," Jones said. "We make those decisions based upon our knowledge of a player over the course of his entire career. We signed Terrell to the new contract because there are no issues with Terrell."

Owens received a $7 million bonus and a $27 million, three-year extension that keeps him with the Cowboys through 2011, the season he turns 38. The deal was agreed to last Monday while Owens was in New York, then signed when he arrived in Dallas the next day.

At the news conference about the contract, Owens mentioned having been in meetings at the league office. He called it "just taking care of business." Pressed further, he said, "It was fine. ... It was minor."

For all the outlandish things surrounding Owens in his career, most have stemmed from his flamboyant personality -- such as squabbles with teammates and coaches, complaints about contracts and even a risque skit with one of TV's Desperate Housewives. Two years ago, he made headlines for what police initially considered a suicide attempt, but later was classified as an "accidental overdose" on prescription medicine.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Owens missed random drug test

Yea, I read about this earlier somewhere... I guess he's now been placed on a "possibility" list of some sort by the NFL... But he's never been tested positive in all his years. As much as I don't like the guy, I'll give him a mulligan on this one...

Backup

User Info Menu

perhaps he was one of the players named by the steroid dealer. As for never failing a drug test he also perscribed some anti balding meds that masked steroids. Not that i think he is guilty but he is pretty damn ripped for a WR.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Yea, I read about this earlier somewhere... I guess he's now been placed on a "possibility" list of some sort by the NFL... But he's never been tested positive in all his years. As much as I don't like the guy, I'll give him a mulligan on this one...

He gets no mulligan from me. He may be clean buy I just don't like him

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Mike Tomlin

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    He gets no mulligan from me. He may be clean buy I just don't like him
    I really can't stand him either.... NorCal brought up a good point, though....

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe large percentage of professional athletes take or took some type of performance enhancer at some point in their careers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Steeler
    perhaps he was one of the players named by the steroid dealer. As for never failing a drug test he also perscribed some anti balding meds that masked steroids. Not that i think he is guilty but he is pretty damn ripped for a WR.
    that comes from working out in the driveway

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hey, the training program I put him on worked pretty well for the most part........

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Hey, the training program I put him on worked pretty well for the most part........

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin

BIG FAN

Dirty, clean he is still and will always remain a classless self absorbed sob.
    To call him a punk is a compliment.