Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to the Site?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What Happened to the Site?

The board was down nearly the entire day (or at least the times I checked on it). What happened J? Is this something we can expect from time to time or more like an isolated incident? Am I the only one who experienced this?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: What Happened to the Site?

I experienced it in the early evening Fla.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

all day here. figured it was my connection.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fla, I went all day with issues here... I was posting an article that you and I bantered about (death rate of Steeler players) on one of the threads, and went back to edit something and was locked out.... all day.

If it was an unexpected crash, I understand...... If it was scheduled, then F'ing tell us about it!... I do understand the required down time for updates, improvements, etc..., but there is no reason not to let the posting public know about it ahead of time, IF this was the case... It freakin' pisses me off.... I tell/recruit folks to come here because of quickness and reliability. Crap, I've PMd probably 80-90 folks and the site is D.O.A. all day... It makes me look like a liar...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Fla, I went all day with issues here... I was posting an article that you and I bantered about (death rate of Steeler players) on one of the threads, and went back to edit something and was locked out.... all day.

If it was an unexpected crash, I understand...... If it was scheduled, then F'ing tell us about it!... I do understand the required down time for updates, improvements, etc..., but there is no reason not to let the posting public know about it ahead of time, IF this was the case... It freakin' pisses me off.... I tell/recruit folks to come here because of quickness and reliability, and the site is D.O.A. all day... It makes me look like a liar...
    I don't think you're a liar NKy !

I couldn't access the site for most of the day either. I figured, "yeah, the internet" and just went on about my other business. This site is still loads better than the other one, even if you count this, in terms of accessability/reliablity/ and just overall responsiveness.

BTW - there are some cool smilies I see over on the left as I am typing. Is it possible to add a smilie or 3 to one's sig (specifically the one that says "Browns suck", "Ratbirds suck", "Bungals suck").

I"ll just put them here for now:

There, I feel so much better now!

Oh, and the Pats* suck too!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My guess is a crash. I imagine JH would have done an announcment for scheduled outages (or he should). Usually scheduled outages are done during off-hours (like 4am)

This site, like any others, will have growing pains -- the key is communication and improvement.
    Cool new icons though.

Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Hello all.

Apologizes about the site but it was not in my control. In the morning I tried to access the site and received a "network' error so I thought it was isolated to my internet connection. I tried again later and had the same results, but was able to access google, and other sites which then I knew was a problem with PlanetSteelers.com. I contacted my web hosting company and they told me that their entire network crashed and were in the process of fixing it. There has been several times that this webhost (StartLogic) has "dropped the ball' and I am not to happy with them at the moment. they uprade their systems which impacts this site without ever notifying people which I think is unacceptable. Moving web host companies is a significant task and I hope I don't have to go that route, but if this stuff continues then that is what I will do. I don't want this to continue happening, and I'm aware of each time it does... I apologize to every member for this inconvenience.

Thank you,

John
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

I have to assume it was a crash...J would have certainly told us about it. MJG is correct there will be growing pains. Happens everywhere from time to time.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thanx, I really do appreciate the explanation....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Oh.

One thing I forgot. If I am doing maintenance on the site, or my web host contacts me that their doing maintenance (which they normally don't do) then I will surely create a post / message to notify members and guests that indicates that. As most of you know, I take everyones opinions, suggestions, and feedback very seriously which is apparent by how many enhancements have been added to this site based on the user feedback. It's very important to me to keep all members & visitors of this site happy
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.