Thread: End of OTA Workout

Legend

End of OTA Workout

I guess some things don't change, i.e. Anthony Smith getting beaten badly by a WR. If Baker and Sweed continue to play this way there is no way Nate Washington should see the field.

Not sure Davenport can afford to miss many practices although IMO he is either the FB or he is gone.

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Jun 5, 2008

The Steelers completed their third week of OTA workouts. Limas Sweed and Dallas Baker had big days, but Casey Hampton didn't. Also, find out who's returning kickoffs.

PITTSBURGH – It felt a bit like training camp Thursday with the heat and humidity in the region. Maybe that’s a good omen for Houston native Limas Sweed. The rookie had one of his best practices yet.
    Sweed was used mainly as a deep threat during team scrimmage and on his first attempt beat Anthony Madison, but the pass from Jared Zabransky hung in the air long enough for Madison to recover and swat the ball away.

Two snaps later, Ben Roethlisberger didn’t hang anything up. He completed his deep ball to Sweed, who was wide open after beating safety man Mike Lorello on a post. Sweed caught the pass and fell across the end-zone line for a touchdown and the Catch of the Day.

I also asked a couple of scouts to watch Sweed’s cuts and they didn’t see him cutting off his heels, as one expert had written of Sweed prior to the draft.

Dallas Baker also had a big day. The second-year receiver beat Anthony Smith by at least five yards on a deep crossing pattern to haul in a pass from Charlie Batch. Baker also made a diving catch of another deep Batch pass after beating Grant Mason. Baker, last year's seventh-round draft pick, will be difficult to keep off the roster if he carries his spring performances over into training camp.

A third big receiver, rookie Micah Rucker, beat rookie Travis Williams deep for a touchdown pass from Dennis Dixon. It was one of the few passes Rucker has had the opportunity to catch.

Another one of the better catches was made by tailback Fast Willie Parker, who leaped high to pluck a Dixon pass over the middle.

MISSING PRACTICE

Casey Hampton, Santonio Holmes and Najeh Davenport continue to miss practices and Coach Mike Tomlin had no comment, other than to say there’s nothing significant to be known about either of the players.

Holmes and Davenport have been injured and standing on the sideline at times, but not Hampton. My guess – and I couldn’t get confirmation, other than “it might be a good assumption” – is that the nose tackle is off with a personal trainer trying to lose weight. I guess we’ll know when he reports to training camp on July 27.

Also missing practice was James Harrison. He was replaced at right outside linebacker by Lawrence Timmons.

Chris Hoke replaced Hampton at nose tackle, of course, but no one was fooled by Hoke wearing jersey No. 98. It did fit him a bit better than it fits Hampton.

SPECIAL TEAMS

The kickoff coverage team included first-teamers LaMarr Woodley, Ike Taylor, Carey Davis and Bryant McFadden, who’s been starting in place of the injured Deshea Townsend. Taylor and McFadden are the contain men on the outside.

Working as the kickoff returners were Jeremy Bloom, Mewelde Moore and Rashard Mendenhall.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Re: End of OTA Workout

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Holmes and Davenport have been injured and standing on the sideline at times, but not Hampton. My guess – and I couldn’t get confirmation, other than “it might be a good assumption” – is that the nose tackle is off with a personal trainer trying to lose weight. I guess we’ll know when he reports to training camp on July 27.
    Dang they're trying to cut Big Snack down to Medium Snack...hopefully he loses weight and increases his years in the league. I just don't see him around much long carrying that much lard. I'm a lard and get tired walking the fridge to get fatter...can't imagine trying to hold up 2 blockers in front of me.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1

Dang they're trying to cut Big Snack down to Medium Snack...hopefully he loses weight and increases his years in the league. I just don't see him around much long carrying that much lard. I'm a lard and get tired walking the fridge to get fatter...can't imagine trying to hold up 2 blockers in front of me.
    He was a shadow of his former self...a larger, but less effective shadow.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Hall of Famer

Two snaps later, Ben Roethlisberger didn’t hang anything up. He completed his deep ball to Sweed, who was wide open after beating safety man Mike Lorello on a post. Sweed caught the pass and fell across the end-zone line for a touchdown and the Catch of the Day.

Dallas Baker also had a big day. The second-year receiver beat Anthony Smith by at least five yards on a deep crossing pattern to haul in a pass from Charlie Batch. Baker also made a diving catch of another deep Batch pass after beating Grant Mason. Baker, last year's seventh-round draft pick, will be difficult to keep off the roster if he carries his spring performances over into training camp.
    Man, I can close my eyes and picture these two guys doing the same thing on Sunday afternoons....(errr.... Sunday evenings, I guess, since we don't have many afternoon games till later in the season...).

As many of us said last year, give Baker time to master the routes and put on a few pounds, and he'll be an incredible red-zone target... And if Sweed can repeat catches like this when it counts, it will be awesome!... Let's just hope Ben has enough time to get them the ball downfield...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler

Man, I can close my eyes and picture these two guys doing the same thing on Sunday afternoons....(errr.... Sunday evenings, I guess, since we don't have many afternoon games till later in the season...).

As many of us said last year, give Baker time to master the routes and put on a few pounds, and he'll be an incredible red-zone target... And if Sweed can repeat catches like this when it counts, it will be awesome!... Let's just hope Ben has enough time to get them the ball downfield...
    Let's hope that in his desire to make plays like that Ben doesn't ignore open receivers and try to force big plays. I'd say 25% of last years sacks were on ben for not getting rid of the ball to receivers who were open short.

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Hall of Famer

Let's hope that in his desire to make plays like that Ben doesn't ignore open receivers and try to force big plays. I'd say 25% of last years sacks were on ben for not getting rid of the ball to receivers who were open short.
    Agreed... I must admit that it frustrated me to no end last season. Maybe that is part of the reason I am so down on Arians at this point, maybe he didn't push for the shorter passes enough, I don't know... I just remember the last game against Jax that left such a sour taste... Ben didn't look to the short pass much in the 2nd half, and it ended the drives...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Agreed... I must admit that it frustrated me to no end last season. Maybe that is part of the reason I am so down on Arians at this point, maybe he didn't push for the shorter passes enough, I don't know... I just remember the last game against Jax that left such a sour taste... Ben didn't look to the short pass much in the 2nd half, and it ended the drives...
    Arians can push all he wants, but Ben is the trigger guy. He alone makes the decision who he throws the ball to and too many times he tries to extend the play to do something spectacular when something simple would be better. He has two great weapons in Miller and Spaeth. He needs to make getting the ball to them, particularly early in games, a priority. That will loosen up the defense and make the big plays possible.

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Hall of Famer

He has two great weapons in Miller and Spaeth. He needs to make getting the ball to them, particularly early in games, a priority.
    And he did that a good bit early on in the season last year, indicative of our good start, as you said. 10 TDs between them (7 for Miller and 3 for Spaeth)... But seemed to forget they were on the team later in the season...

Hall of Famer

Working as the kickoff returners were Jeremy Bloom, Mewelde Moore and Rashard Mendenhall.
    RM on kick returns --that is interesting.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.