Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dallas Baker Article

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Dallas Baker Article

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    As it stands, it is just as Oviedo stated, "If Baker really emerges.."
    I only hope it's not too big of an if. I would love it to see this guy crack the line up, I'm just not sold yet.
    So far he seems to be showing he is getting better. That is encouraging. The reality is whoever your #5 receiver turns out to be he won't likely be active on game day unless he brings something to Special Teams.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Honestly...I just want Baker to make this team. I don't see anyway he gets serious playing time this season. I would love for it to happen but not this season. I think Washingtons experience will give him the slight edge at the #4. But, in red zone situations you might very well see a little Baker action. That could be very exciting.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Honestly...I just want Baker to make this team. I don't see anyway he gets serious playing time this season. I would love for it to happen but not this season. I think Washingtons experience will give him the slight edge at the #4. But, in red zone situations you might very well see a little Baker action. That could be very exciting.
    IF Nate is a number 4 (vs number 3), then I have a question and observation.

First the question: Will he be better as a 4 than as a 3 due to the fact that he could be covered by a "lesser" DB consistently -- this would enable his "freakish" athletic ability to shine and for him to get more open.

The observation is that if the answer to the above question is YES, will it make any difference if he drops passes.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene

First the question: Will he be better as a 4 than as a 3 due to the fact that he could be covered by a "lesser" DB consistently -- this would enable his "freakish" athletic ability to shine and for him to get more open.

The observation is that if the answer to the above question is YES, will it make any difference if he drops passes.

I have always been puzzled by the above observations made by the fans. I have not seen this from Nate and I doubt I will. Maybe my vision isn't what it used to be, but I'd have to disagree with the Steeler Nation masses on this perception.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene

I have always been puzzled by the above observations made by the fans. I have not seen this from Nate and I doubt I will. Maybe my vision isn't what it used to be, but I'd have to disagree with the Steeler Nation masses on this perception.
    I believe it was Ben who once said that Nate had "freakish" athletic ability. I have often wondered if Washington is an FOB (Friend of Ben) and it has given him a longer look than he might have really earned.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    I think it's his ridiculous vertical jump that's given him that label of freakish athletic ability, or whatever. But where's that gotten him so far, right?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Jesus guys...so eager to throw Nate under the bus when all he's done is produce. What has Baker done to deserve all this praise & hope?...Nothing yet except stand 6'3". How about Sweed?...Nothing yet either. Yet here some of you are, ready to hand over spots 3 & 4 to two unproven WRs. Nate has earned his spot & despite what we think, management believes he's earned the contract too. I'm sure Nate's trying to get better, just like Baker, just like Sweed, just like Santonio & Hines - so can we stop acting like he's useless? Maybe his future does ultimately lie elsewhere with the addition of Sweed & his cap number, but as long as he's on the team I'll root for him.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Jesus guys...so eager to throw Nate under the bus when all he's done is produce. What has Baker done to deserve all this praise & hope?...Nothing yet except stand 6'3". How about Sweed?...Nothing yet either. Yet here some of you are, ready to hand over spots 3 & 4 to two unproven WRs. Nate has earned his spot & despite what we think, management believes he's earned the contract too. I'm sure Nate's trying to get better, just like Baker, just like Sweed, just like Santonio & Hines - so can we stop acting like he's useless? Maybe his future does ultimately lie elsewhere with the addition of Sweed & his cap number, but as long as he's on the team I'll root for him.

How is a remark on the inability to see Nate's skill set equate to throwing him under the bus. You make remarks regarding throwing unproven players on the roster into the 3 and 4 spots and thus negating Nate's "rightful" place there. Last I checked that no one has a solidified roster spot and that includes the number 1 and 2 WRs. They'll compete in camp and let the chips fall where they may. You can't blame fans for being excited about the up and coming young talent on this team... especially if they've seen these same players in college produce extremely impressive numbers and are now poised to help this team win some games.... that includes Nate, BTW. But I'll not pull punches when it comes to my vantage point and opinions. IMHO, Nate has had his opportunities and now its time to see where we can go with other options at WR. I'll continue to root for Nate as long as he wears the uniform. But I'll always be hopeful to find someone else to take his spot that will show us more consistency and a better set of hands. As for giving the guy time.... two words... MARQUES COLSTON.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    No one has said that Nate hasn't produced. What has been said is that Nate is inconsistent and has limited upside compared to Sweed in particular. Last year was the perfect example, Nate has had many opportunities and last year his catches are less than 2006 and his yards per catch were lower. That is not a player who is taking it to the next level. It was said best that with the game on the line do you want Nate to be the player you have to rely on to make the critical catch. Sorry, but I don't. I'd have more trust in Miller or Spaeth than Nate.

I always root for any player on the Steelers to have a superb season because that only helps the team. I just don't see that season coming from Nate who if you do an honest assessment is never going to be more than a journeyman NFL receiver.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree we have all the talent and weapons on offense. Probably as goos as anyone in the league.

My biggest concern is if Bruce "Air" Arians can do the job. Based on his dismal performance at Cleveland (DNA Level C) and last year, this is my biggest concern.

Chan Gailey, "where are you?"
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

My early 2024 draft:

1.) OC - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C - Oregon
    2.) DL -Ruke Orhorhoro, DL, Clemson
    3.) WR - Nathaniel Dell, WR - Houston
    4a.) OT - Matt Goncalves, ROT - Pitt
    4b.) S -Tykee Smith - S - Georgia
    6A.) CB - Shon Stephensl - D - Ferris State
    6B..) DT - Jamree Kromah DT James Madison

UDFA: P, WR, QB, TE

We don't apologize for winning!