By J. Darin Darst
    SPiN Contributor
    Tell J. Darin your opinion!

http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/10851148

No. 9 Pittsburgh vs. No. 8 New England

Which NFL mascot is the most fierce?
    Pat Patriot
    Steely McBeam

Let's get one thing straight right before the nasty e-mails flood my inbox.

We did not forget to post a picture of Steely McBeam.

We are not anti-Steelers or Patriot lovers either. (Truth be told, I'm a Steelers fan!) But it's hard to have a NFL mascot contest when a certain team doesn't give you access to a photo of their own mascot!

The Steelers said because Steely McBeam is so new, they would like to give him another year or two before they put him out there for a popularity contest. I think we all know the response to that -- Cattle dung!

Let me tell you what they really wanted to say -- "Not many people like Steely, so it's probably not a good idea to put him in a contest where he's going to be made fun of and humiliated." Well too bad, because not only is he in the contest, but we are going to make fun of him too. If you are not of huge sports fan or don't know the history of Pittsburgh Steelers football you are probably asking yourself why doesn't anybody like this mascot?

You have to go to a real expert for the answer -- somebody who lives, eats and breathes Steelers football. Somebody named ... Stinky.

"The whole fact that this team, who prides itself on blue-collar, hard-noise, no gimmicky football, has to have a mascot It feels like it was forced upon us by the NFL and their marketing engine," said the man behind the website and sports blog http://www.steelymcstupid.com.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette named him one of the cities dishonorable mentions of 2007, right up there with business executives charged with fraud. And in an online poll, the mascot got only a 10 percent approval rating after more than 33,000 votes.

Does anybody like this mascot?

"Anyone under the age 2 that is happy and giddy about anything that's big and yellow like Big Bird is happy to see him, but anyone old enough to name a player on the team ... it's hatred all the way," added Stinky. "This is such a town of 'what your father did, you did.' You hear your old man saying it's ridiculous and not Steelers football and that's what you believe once your are able to talk."

You can see now why the team didn't want to lend us a photo.

Don't expect Steely to advance to the next round, but just for fun, we'll let you decide. Steely takes on Pat Patriot in the first round. That's three-time Super Bowl champion Pat Patriot. He is supposed to resemble a minuteman, a member of the American militia during the Revolutionary War.

That's an American hero vs. a construction worker that is nowhere to be found. Just don't ask Pat about a third video camera at Gillette Stadium.

I wish it was football season already

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Re: Steely McBeam vs Pat Patroit

Well I have to agree. I think the mascot thing is stupid, atleast for the Steelers anyway. I do think that McBeam will eventually go away. Even now when the marketing for the thing should be everywhere you never see, or hear anything about the little retard.

I think it's pretty telling when the team isn't truly marketing Steely McBeam. Eventually he'll just disapear.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavezz
    Well I have to agree. I think the mascot thing is stupid, atleast for the Steelers anyway. I do think that McBeam will eventually go away. Even now when the marketing for the thing should be everywhere you never see, or hear anything about the little retard.

I think it's pretty telling when the team isn't truly marketing Steely McBeam. Eventually he'll just disapear.

I agree Chavezz, very promising news that our marketing department refuses to market him. I think they want a slow death for Steely, so that no one notices he's gone and they don't have to look foolish all over again for forcing that embarrassing pile of crap on the nation in the first place.

As for Pat Patriot...well he's just as gay, but it's something those Chowda-heads are all used to. Neither one of them can lay claim to any level of ferocity unless of course they are planning to arm each mascot gladiator-style and let them fight to the death. I think winning a death-match contest like that would be the only way that McBeam ever would be truly accepted by the fans.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Pro Bowler
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!

Is it wrong that I bought the Steely McBeam bobblehead? I mean he watched a game with me last year so I had to, right?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette named him one of the cities dishonorable mentions of 2007, right up there with business executives charged with fraud. And in an online poll, the mascot got only a 10 percent approval rating after more than 33,000 votes.

This says it all for me. Hilarious.

To be honest with you, this may be the one time I want the Cheaters to beat the Steelers in something. The less fanfare for that idiot mascot of ours, the better and more likely he will just fade into the sunset.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Steely McBeam rules!!!

He would so kick anything Pats asc!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Is it wrong that I bought the Steely McBeam bobblehead? I mean he watched a game with me last year so I had to, right?

Brilliant photoshop work - whoever did that!!!
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1

Brilliant photoshop work - whoever did that!!!
    I think it was our Asian buddy!

JK. That is an MJG work of art!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

While Steely is an embarrassment to true Steeler fans everywhere, you have to admit that he is not as stupid looking at that "Pat Patriot" mascot. It is just that bandwagon Asterisk fans obviously don't care about being embarrassed by something that their football teams do, since it has happened so often that they are probably immune to it by now.

Which NFL mascot is the most fierce?
    44% Pat Patriot

56% Steely McBeam

Total Votes: 11487

Hope the FO dosen't hear about this they just may keep him

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.