Thread: It's been a while since...

Legend

User Info Menu

It's been a while since...

I brought you anything from the dirty ratstains board.

[url="http://www.baltimoresun2.com/talk/showthread.php?t=148909"]http://www.baltimoresun2.com/talk/showt ... p?t=148909[/url]

SMG and Benny...what's up with post #21...is that true?

It is well established in the medical community that patients who have been administered high doses of steroids (and come off them them without tapering) are much more susceptible to post-surgical infection due to their adrenal suppression. Malfunctioning adrenal glands means the body doesn't produce the cortisol needed to cope with stress...which is also the link between steroids and depression.

So steroid abuse can be linked to susceptibility to infections, diabetes and depression.

Do I need to keep connecting the dots back to dead Steelers?
    Also, post #20 is good for a laugh. That dude claims his dad was in the NFL but his posts from a football knowledge perspective are so, so bad.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: It's been a while since...

i've heard that steroid use messes w/ recoupaeration from illness. but n ot as a long term effect. not sure if i'm right about that, but i am pretty sure that white hasn't been using steroids these last few years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

(not you Birt, the author of that posting from the ravens board).
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i don't know what all the crap is about people bringing up steroid use from the 70's. it was legal not only from a law standpoint but also from an NFL rules standpoint.
    like i said on the other board, if creatine becomes illegal and the NFL banned it should all those atheletes that used creatine be suspect?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    i don't know what all the crap is about people bringing up steroid use from the 70's. it was legal not only from a law standpoint but also from an NFL rules standpoint.
    like i said on the other board, if creatine becomes illegal and the NFL banned it should all those atheletes that used creatine be suspect?
    I know NKY and myself were kicking it around as a contributing factor in the deaths of so many Steeler players. I counted 12 players mentioned in the article he posted in his thread who's deaths could have been attributed to steroid use (as I was posting my comment to that article, the friggin' board crashed). If there's any truth to the link between anabolic steroids and susceptibility to post-op infections, then White could make it 13 (not trying to speak ill of the dead in any way by speculating).

I don't think anyone is trying to say that by taking these drugs our guys were cheating, due to what you stated about them being legal and not banned, as well as their wide-spread use. It doesn't change the fact that this shit can cause you to check out early and has some of the most unbelievable side-effects of any drug of abuse. Too bad the extent of it wasn't known at the time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yea i agree that steroids played a big part in these players deaths. i'm just annoyed that the poster on the ravens board mentioned it. i mean, murder is illegal but how often do we bring jazz hands up?