Thread: Steelers: Coolest helmet in Pro football history

Backup

User Info Menu

Steelers: Coolest helmet in Pro football history

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Review-The-11-Coolest-Helmets-in-Pro-Football-H?urn=nfl,86651"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... =nfl,86651[/url]
    pretty cool

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers: Coolest helmet in Pro football history

Awesome post!! Clearly this guy has class as well as taste!

(Except for the stripes, that was pretty nauseous...)

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

LasVegasGuy

No honarable mention for the Browns? Who wouldn't love an orange, logoless helmet created specifically for a team called the Browns? If you aren't going to have a logo at least make the helmet Brown with an orange stripe. Geez....They were destined to be the laughing stock of the league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    No honarable mention for the Browns? Who wouldn't love an orange, logoless helmet created specifically for a team called the Browns? If you aren't going to have a logo at least make the helmet Brown with an orange stripe. Geez....They were destined to be the laughing stock of the league.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

They give the following information, so they apparently read up on the history of our helmet, but then they show a picture of the steelmark on the LEFT FREAKIN' SIDE OF THE HELMET? WHAT THE @#$%!?!?!?

The Coolest Helmet in History: The Pittsburgh Steelers
    By MJD
    In 1962, Cleveland Republic Steel suggested to the Steelers that they adopt the Steelmark logo as their official logo. The Rooneys like the idea, and soon, the the Steelmark logo that belonged to the American Iron and Steel Institute also belonged to the Steelers.

They wanted to put it on their helmets, but the fashion-conservative Rooney family, not wanting to to do anything too flashy or daring (understandably, since we're talking about Pittsburgh here, where they've only just now started to believe that people without moustaches could be decent, trustworthy people), experimented first with just putting the logo on one side.

That way, if the people of Pittsburgh turned out to not be ready for such a fashion-forward move, they could just, I don't know ... move to other side of the stadium and look at the blank side.

Myself, I rather like the three touching hypocycloids. They make use of the three primary colors, the very bedrocks of our visual abilities, and there's meaning behind each hypocycloid, too.

When the Steelmark logo was created, U.S. Steel attached the following meaning to it: Steel lightens your work, brightens your leisure and widens your world. The logo was used as part of a major marketing campaign to educate consumers about how important steel is in our daily lives. The Steelmark logo was used in print, radio and television ads as well as on labels for all steel products, from steel tanks to tricycles to filing cabinets.

In the 1960s, U.S. Steel turned over the Steelmark program to the AISI, where it came to represent the steel industry as a whole. During the 1970s, the logo's meaning was extended to include the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal, orange for ore and blue for steel scrap. In the late 1980s, when the AISI founded the Steel Recycling Institute (SRI), the logo took on a new life reminiscent of its 1950s meaning.

Coal isn't yellow, but whatever. Let's not split hairs.

Anyway, the fans didn't object, and the Steelers followed the adoption of the logo with two other tweaks: They changed their helmets from gold (you saw these when the Steelers wore throwbacks this past year) to black, and they got the American Iron and Steel Institute to let them put "Steelers" in the logo, as opposed to just "Steel." That happened in 1963, and since then, things have remained unchanged.

You combine that kind of history and consistency with the overwhelming amount of quirk in the Steelers helmet, and I do believe you've got an undisputed champion here. It's quirk city on the side of Ben Roethlisberger's head. Observe:

• It's the only professional helmet to use a logo that was once a corporate logo before it became a football team logo (other than the short-lived and now defunct Miami Hooters of the Arena Football league).

• It is the only helmet in the NFL to have a logo on one side, but not the other.

• There are two colors present in the helmet logo that exist nowhere else in the Steelers uniform: red and blue.

It's extremely unique, it's got an interesting backstory, and obviously, there's a lot of winning tradition behind it. It succeeds on every front, and is something that's kind of evolved organically out of the town itself to become a powerful and iconic sports logo.

Thankfully for the local football team, Pittsburgh was, in the 60s, a city known for the hard, durable, solid steel it produced. If Pittsburgh had been a city known for cotton, latex, or their burlesque shoes, franchise history could've been totally different.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great post, SS7. I also think that our color scheme is tops. Not only cool but we started the whole Black intimidation factor in the NFL, with the Raiders a close second.

Legend

User Info Menu

I sooo knew I couldn't beat anyone here to post this. UGhhh.

It is indeed cool. As I was making my way down that list I was like uhhh where is the Steelers. Then I found them at #1.
    Trolls are people too.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Very cool article. Thanks for posting
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy

I almost agreed with you wholeheartedly until I remembered the appallingly lame helmets that the Bungles wear on their vacuous and disreputable heads. At the very least I would call it a tie for “most dishonorable mention.”

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    They give the following information, so they apparently read up on the history of our helmet, but then they show a picture of the steelmark on the LEFT FREAKIN' SIDE OF THE HELMET? WHAT THE @#$%!?!?!?

I saw the same thing and started shaking my head in disbelief. Of course I completely agree with the selection (there really can be no objective dissention), but let's face it, if Bucco Bruce can come in second place, then the top spot is certainly tainted in these rankings.

By the way, that was an all-time great line about being served breakfast in bed by Bruce.