Thread: Week 3 OTA thoughts...

Hall of Famer

Week 3 OTA thoughts...

From Dale Lollys' blog.....

Wednesday, June 04, 2008
    Week three OTA thoughts

Mike Tomlin had to get a little loud Wednesday at OTAs as a couple of minor scrimmashes broke out between players following plays.

The first involved right tackle Willie Colon who else - and a defensive lineman who I believe was Nick Eason.

A couple of plays later, tackle Trai Essex Trai Essex? got into a scuffle with another defensive lineman.

Tomlin yelled at the players to stop with the stupid $#&^.

After practice, he held a lengthy huddle, talking to the players about how important it was for them in this third week with just one week remaining not to lose their focus.

The Steelers had a welcome sight on their offensive line as Marvel Smith was back at his left tackle position. That left the line at, from left to right, Smith, Chris Kemoeatu, Sean Mahan, Kendall Simmons and the aforementioned Colon.

Larry Foote sat out Wednesday with a stiff neck, allowing second-year pro Lawrence Timmons to take all the snaps with the first team at inside linebacker.

I like Foote a lot, but a stiff neck wouldn't keep me out at this point with the kid breathing down it.

Rookie Rashard Mendenhall looks strong and fast running with ball. I'm anxious to see how the kid breaks tackles, something starter Willie Parker doesn't do all that well.

Parker, by the way, sat out Wednesday, though it's no big deal.

The Steelers have a bunch of undrafted rookie defensive linemen in camp and the one they seem to be taking the biggest liking to is Kyle Clement. But it's very early and the hitting hasn't started yet.

Re: Week 3 OTA thoughts...

Thanks for the update Nky

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

That left the line at, from left to right, Smith, Chris Kemoeatu, Sean Mahan, Kendall Simmons and the aforementioned Colon.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    That left the line at, from left to right, Smith, Chris Kemoeatu, Sean Mahan, Kendall Simmons and the aforementioned Colon.

....I guess Hartwig will have to win the job...

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek

....I guess Hartwig will have to win the job...
    I hope that's the Steelers trying to motivate him...I can't believe anyone couldn't beat out Mahan. I also hope that the coaches aren't being stubborn and applying the one more year under the belt in the system should make them better theory.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    I hope that's the Steelers trying to motivate him...I can't believe anyone couldn't beat out Mahan. I also hope that the coaches aren't being stubborn and applying the one more year under the belt in the system should make them better theory.
    I really don't see how they could.... They signed Hartwig for a reason, I would like to think...

I really don't see how they could.... They signed Hartwig for a reason, I would like to think...
    I hear ya NKy but sometimes you have that bad feeling inside. I guess Ben getting no time to pass last year left a lot of bad feelings inside of me and I'm just not optimistic about the line situation. Now if it's Hartwig and it line works out, it will be a pleasant surprise for me...I haven't lost faith, I'm just freaking nervous.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Hall of Famer

...I haven't lost faith, I'm just freaking nervous.
    ... I'm with you there.... It's gonna be a very interesting situation.

Legend

From Dale Lollys' blog.....

Wednesday, June 04, 2008
    Week three OTA thoughts

Mike Tomlin had to get a little loud Wednesday at OTAs as a couple of minor scrimmashes broke out between players following plays.

The first involved right tackle Willie Colon who else - and a defensive lineman who I believe was Nick Eason.

A couple of plays later, tackle Trai Essex Trai Essex? got into a scuffle with another defensive lineman.

Tomlin yelled at the players to stop with the stupid $#&^.

After practice, he held a lengthy huddle, talking to the players about how important it was for them in this third week with just one week remaining not to lose their focus.

The Steelers had a welcome sight on their offensive line as Marvel Smith was back at his left tackle position. That left the line at, from left to right, Smith, Chris Kemoeatu, Sean Mahan, Kendall Simmons and the aforementioned Colon.

Larry Foote sat out Wednesday with a stiff neck, allowing second-year pro Lawrence Timmons to take all the snaps with the first team at inside linebacker.

I like Foote a lot, but a stiff neck wouldn't keep me out at this point with the kid breathing down it.

Rookie Rashard Mendenhall looks strong and fast running with ball. I'm anxious to see how the kid breaks tackles, something starter Willie Parker doesn't do all that well.

Parker, by the way, sat out Wednesday, though it's no big deal.

The Steelers have a bunch of undrafted rookie defensive linemen in camp and the one they seem to be taking the biggest liking to is Kyle Clement. But it's very early and the hitting hasn't started yet.
    Does anyone know anything about Clement? If he could help on the DL that would be icing on the cake.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Does anyone know anything about Clement? If he could help on the DL that would be icing on the cake.
    Just this highlight reel...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GmfLOJ6iaM

And this draft profile...
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/pr ... pyid=73604