Thread: Less time for Special Teams

Legend

Less time for Special Teams

Interesting Article. Particularly how Harrison wore down lasyt year. Only 2 sacks in the last 8 games is not what we need from him. Maybe someone like Davis or Humpal can replace him on ST.

PITTSBURGH – Last year at this time, key special-teamers were already complaining about the extended special-teams work. And that was before extra practices were added at training camp.
    This year, the Pittsburgh Steelers are doing less. Much less.

“About 40 minutes a day less,” said safety Ryan Clark.

Will it help?

“I really like it,” said linebacker James Harrison. “I think last year we were doing it so much it got to where guys were real lackadaisical with it, complacent, and gave a real nonchalant effort to it. Right now, I feel guys are more focused on it because you’ve only got a short period of time to actually get what we’re doing, whereas last year we had damn near an hour of practice to go through one drill. The scarcity of it right now is going to help.”

That was Mike Tomlin’s plan as told to special-teams coaches Bob Ligashesky and Amos Jones. Last year the three new coaches utilized new equipment and new ideas and a lot more time, but got the same old results. So Tomlin is hoping less will be more this time around.

“As much as we practiced and did all those different things, we never really got good at anything,” said Clark. “I’ll be honest, you think about the time wasted. You think about the time you put into practicing it and not going out and efficiently and effectively implementing it on the field. That’s the worst part. If you’re going to do all that practicing you might as well be good at it.”

Clark’s a big believer in talent being the difference on special teams, and he’s seen some positives.

“I think getting Anthony Madison back last year was really big for us,” Clark said. “William Gay’s a very good special-teamer too. But on the other side, it kind of hurts when your best special-team player becomes a Pro Bowl linebacker, so you’ve got to find guys to fill that void.”

But Harrison, the special-teams captain who made the Pro Bowl last season as an outside linebacker, doesn’t see himself receiving fewer special-teams assignments.

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fit it,” he said of his usage.

However, playing so much almost broke Harrison last season.

“I did get tired,” he said. “But it’s something I’m going to have to get used to or get in better condition, but I don’t think I can get any better condition than I was. I was taking a lot of defensive snaps and a lot of special-teams snaps. It’s going to wear on you, so you’re going to have to come out here and there. But, like I said, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I’ll just have to roll with it.”

Harrison has been used on most of the first special teams this spring. And with former co-captain Clint Kriewaldt gone, the special teams appear to be under Harrison’s rule.

“They seem to think it is,” Harrison said of his coaches. “I guess we’ll see when the
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Re: Less time for Special Teams

But Harrison, the special-teams captain who made the Pro Bowl last season as an outside linebacker, doesn’t see himself receiving fewer special-teams assignments.

I like the attitude.... But maybe they (the press) are drawing towards too many cooincidences.... Yea, his numbers were down towards the tail end of the season, but thier competition was up, and much more difficult than earlier on in the year.... I say, "keep it up"...

Chemsteel

Here was my reply to Jim Wexall:

I cannot buy into the theory "Less Can Be More". Talent, practice, consistentcy, and dedication is more omnipotent than "Less".

The quotes coming from the players and staff are full of boring drivel. Apart from the fact the players fielding the punts and/or kickoffs feel they are catching a harpoon while looking at the oncomimng rush, there is a difinite weakness up the middle on our defnsive approach to special teams. Speed is great to have on special teams but not the most important when you have a 200 lb. "Wedge Buster".

Blocking, especially on the edge can be improved. There is too much retreating by the blockers when receiving on special teams. No wonder we lead the League in muffs.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler

I like the attitude.... But maybe they (the press) are drawing towards too many cooincidences.... Yea, his numbers were down towards the tail end of the season, but thier competition was up, and much more difficult than earlier on in the year.... I say, "keep it up"...
    We also have to figure that Haggans was a non factor and was blocked 1 on 1 and once the league noticed Harrison they shifted an extra blocker his way reducing his productivity.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsteel
    Here was my reply to Jim Wexall:

I cannot buy into the theory "Less Can Be More". Talent, practice, consistentcy, and dedication is more omnipotent than "Less".

The quotes coming from the players and staff are full of boring drivel. Apart from the fact the players fielding the punts and/or kickoffs feel they are catching a harpoon while looking at the oncomimng rush, there is a difinite weakness up the middle on our defnsive approach to special teams. Speed is great to have on special teams but not the most important when you have a 200 lb. "Wedge Buster".

Blocking, especially on the edge can be improved. There is too much retreating by the blockers when receiving on special teams. No wonder we lead the League in muffs.
    Maybe Mike Humpal can be the "wedge buster" that we need.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

BIG FAN

Special teams for us has been so infuriating to watch.
    If our o-line has become a sore spot, then ST is an Achilles heel. I am still not sold on the ST coach. Less practice time better? Who knows? All I know is that we gave up way too much field position and way too many cheap points to opponents last year.
    Hopefully we have drafted and brought in more talent to address this area. We will see, it would be nice not to be cringing every time the ball is kicked.

IMO if they are going to reduce the practice time on Special teams then they should get rid of one of the Special Teams coaches. From a business standpoint if you're reducing the use of function then you should reduce staff too....just sayin
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    IMO if they are going to reduce the practice time on Special teams then they should get rid of one of the Special Teams coaches. From a business standpoint if you're reducing the use of function then you should reduce staff too....just sayin
    I tend to agree, but I would think if something like that would happen, it would have happened sooner. Befor the OTA's.
    Pity.