Thread: Steelers rookies appreciate history

Steelers rookies appreciate history

Steelers rookies appreciate history
    By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, June 5, 2008
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... rss&feed=3
    It may have had the feel of a school field trip, minus the chaperones.
    Wide receiver Limas Sweed, however, called the day away from class that the Steelers' rookies enjoyed earlier this week something else.

"Experience of a lifetime," Sweed said Wednesday after an OTA practice.

All NFL rookies are required to visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, as part of their orientation, something commissioner Roger Goodell made mandatory this year.

For the Steelers' rookies that meant boarding a Canton-bound bus Monday at 7 a.m. and not returning to Pittsburgh until late in the afternoon. In between, the players were given a guided tour of the Hall of Fame, and they studied something other than the Xs and Os that have consumed them during offseason practices.
    "I think it's an awesome thing," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of rookie orientation now including a trip to the Hall of Fame. "I think if one guy gains a little bit of respect about what those who have come before them have contributed to this game and the fact that he's a part of something special, then it's a great event."

Tomlin, who visited the Pro Football Hall of Fame for the first time last year, added, "I walked away somewhat in awe of some of the things that have happened in this game and with a level of appreciation for being a part of it."

Former NFL wide receiver Michael Irvin, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame last year, suggested to Goodell that young players would come away with similar feelings of appreciation if they visited Canton.

Goodell agreed, which, in a roundabout way, led to Sweed reading about the records wide receiver Jerry Rice set during his incomparable career and Dennis Dixon learning that a couple of quarterbacks who came long before he did at the University of Oregon had been immortalized.

"I read a little bit on Dan Fouts and a little bit on Norm Van Brocklin," Dixon said. "I was surprised to see two former Oregon quarterbacks were in there."

The players may also have been surprised at how recent some of the history in the Hall of Fame is.

The jersey and pants Vikings running back Adrian Peterson wore when he set the NFL's single-game rushing record with 296 yards against the Chargers last year are in the Hall of Fame. Seeing them was particularly inspiring for Sweed since he played against Peterson when the two were in college and knows him.

The former Texas star also showed Monday that he knows his history.

When the players' guide asked if anyone knew which Super Bowl was the first the Steelers played in, Sweed gave the correct answer (Super Bowl IX).

He won a coffee cup that has a picture of the Hall of Fame building on it, and it is serving as much more than a memento from his first trip to Canton.

"It's something that I put in my locker," Sweed said, "and every day I use it as inspiration."

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

Re: Steelers rookies appreciate history

Goodell is taking advice from Irvin???

It's all starting to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Goodell is taking advice from Irvin???

It's all starting to make sense.
    No kidding. That deserves more of these:

Next thing you know Goodell will claim Spygate never happened and that these so called cameras weren't Belicheat's and he don't know how those tapes got in his car...I mean office.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

im very impressed sweed knew the answer to that question

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    "I read a little bit on Dan Fouts and a little bit on Norm Van Brocklin," Dixon said. "I was surprised to see two former Oregon quarterbacks were in there."
    Ummm...if you were a QB at Oregon, how could you possibly not know that two other Oregon QB's are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame? You think one of the Oregon coaches might have mentioned something like that at some point during their recruitment...

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Ummm...if you were a QB at Oregon, how could you possibly not know that two other Oregon QB's are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame? You think one of the Oregon coaches might have mentioned something like that at some point during their recruitment...
    .... At least he didn't mention Akili Smith.... :P

"It's something that I put in my locker," Sweed said, "and every day I use it as inspiration."
    I'm really starting to like this guy. Hopefully he contributes this year and eventually lands in the starting spot once Hines decides to hang it up and go into Canton.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

motter1975

Well, even if it was Irvin who suggested it, I think it's a great thing for rookies to go through the Hall of Fame and learn about those who came before them. I'm a firm believer that understanding history gives us a greater understanding of the present.

Of course, you would think that if that was their whole lives dream to play football, that maybe they would have already been before they got drafted.....

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    I'm really starting to like this guy. Hopefully he contributes this year and eventually lands in the starting spot once Hines decides to hang it up and go into Canton.

If this guy meets up with the hype around him, then that's an inevitability.