Thread: Ft Collins, CO

Legend

User Info Menu

Ft Collins, CO

Anyone familiar with the town? We might relocate there and just wanted info.

Thanks!
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Ft Collins, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Anyone familiar with the town? We might relocate there and just wanted info.

Thanks!
    [url="http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-collins-area/"]http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-collins-area/[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

D- I live about 100 miles north of Ft collins, Co nice place I havent spent much time there but my wife has a cousin that lives there. They seem to like it

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Are you in Cheyenne? My dad was born there.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Legend

User Info Menu

Are you in Cheyenne? My dad was born there.
    No I'm in Wheatland Wy. about 60 mi north of Cheyenne.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Mike Tomlin

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just a little news from Ft. Collins for you enjoy

Year's biggest storm muddles up day

BY TREVOR HUGHES • NATE TAYLOR AND KEVIN DUGGAN • March 27, 2009

Thursday's snowstorm snarled traffic, forced the closure of schools and businesses across Larimer County, and gave Fort Collins its biggest storm of the winter - in early spring.

The storm dumped an estimated 6 inches in Fort Collins during the day with another half-inch expected overnight.

Interstate 25 and U.S. Highway 287 were closed north of the city for most of the day. On I-25, numerous pileups were reported, including one involving at least 17 vehicles near the Wyoming border. Emergency shelters were opened by the Red Cross in Wellington and Windsor.

In Fort Collins, police spent the morning scrambling from crash to fender bender to spinout before declaring an accident alert situation about 10 a.m.

From 7 to 10 a.m., police responded to 40 separate crashes, including a single-car rollover on Trilby Road just west of College Avenue. On a normal day police see 20 crashes between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.

"We've had an unusually mild winter and it has certainly been our most problematic day," Fort Collins police traffic Sgt. Mike Trombley said. "I think a lot of that was just the volume of the snow. It was coming down so hard the plows couldn't keep up with it."

At times, whiteout conditions made driving treacherous across the city, and some streets were closed to permit plows to work unimpeded. Local roads were wet but not slippery around 7 a.m., but they grew slushy, icy and busy by 11 a.m. as businesses and schools began to shut down. Few injuries were reported.

Poudre School District and Colorado State University shut down around noon, as did city and county buildings.

"For the sake of safety, we thought we needed to get people home," city spokeswoman Kelly DiMartino said.

The city engineer declared a snow emergency, meaning parking was banned on main streets such as College Avenue and Prospect Road so emergency vehicles and crews could get by. City offices and facilities are expected to be open today.

By about 2 p.m. Thursday, the roads had cleared as plow trucks began to get ahead of the slowing snow, and people began to get out and play

College students and 12-year-olds shared space on the hill north of EPIC on Thursday, sledding and snowboarding off homemade jumps.

"This is the first snow day I've had in my life," said CSU senior Alex King, who hails from Steamboat. "This is nothing in Steamboat. They know how to deal with it there."

Fellow CSU senior Brian Pimley said he attended two early morning classes Thursday, but checking his watch, he noted that he'd be in an accounting law exam if it weren't for the snow.

The hill by the Edora Pool/Ice Center is a popular site following snowstorms.

"I was hoping for a better hill," Pimley said before sliding away on a saucer.

Riffenburgh Elementary School student Patrick Kline, 12, thought the hill was plenty big enough.

"It's awesome," he said. "We got out (of school); we went home and shoveled the snow and came back here."

As Patrick shook off the snow from a sled run, a classmate ran up to point out they would still be in school if classes hadn't ended early for the day because of the weather.

The early closing of schools and businesses helped city crews deal with the streets, which were clogged with ice and slush, said Larry Schneider, Fort Collins streets supervisor.

Plow crews were expected to work throughout the night with the goal of having streets ready for the morning rush hour.

"We'll keep working until we know for sure what's happening," he said.

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Spoke to a buddy of mine there (fellow DJ) who said it was really nothing to worry about. He has seen worse.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Legend

User Info Menu

Spoke to a buddy of mine there (fellow DJ) who said it was really nothing to worry about. He has seen worse.
    Yeah, six inches of snow is the biggest storm of the winter for a town in COLORADO!?!? I know that might sound like a lot to a guy currently in San Diego (snow...what's snow?), but we must have had a good half dozen storms in NEPA that dropped at least 6 inches this winter. I just think of Colorado getting snowfalls of greater than a foot multiple teams each year. Guess I'm wrong about that...I suppose it depends on the elevation, eh?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Yeah, six inches of snow is the biggest storm of the winter for a town in COLORADO!?!? I know that might sound like a lot to a guy currently in San Diego (snow...what's snow?), but we must have had a good half dozen storms in NEPA that dropped at least 6 inches this winter. I just think of Colorado getting snowfalls of greater than a foot multiple teams each year. Guess I'm wrong about that...I suppose it depends on the elevation, eh?

No its been real dry around here for the last few years

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin