Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fight at Steeler Practice

Legend

User Info Menu

Fight at Steeler Practice

Appears to me like the "soft" Timmons took a 300lb+ lineman to the ground. Timmons will be a beast this year.

Steelers battle like hockey players at spring practice
    Wednesday, June 04, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Perhaps watching the Penguins and Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals rubbed off on the Steelers yesterday because they held a practice and a hockey game broke out.

It's not normal, although not rare either, that football teammates fight during voluntary spring practices, yet the Steelers had two brief ones yesterday, each involving an offensive tackle.

Willie Colon, the team's starting right tackle, went to the ground at their indoor practice facility while wrestling with second-year linebacker Lawrence Timmons. Not long after, veteran backup tackle Trai Essex and linebacker Arnold Harrison went at it.

"It was humid in here,'' fellow tackle Max Starks gave as a possible reason for the two scuffles. "I don't know, maybe they've been watching Georges Laraque,'' the Penguins enforcer.

Neither scuffle lasted long, but coach Mike Tomlin brought his players together after practice to lecture them about it.

"Practice broke out into a fight,'' Tomlin explained. "You know, the competition is good, but the level of intensity has to be there if we want to get better.

"You have to understand professional etiquette; that's what we talked about after practice. These kinds of things have to happen as we develop our football team because it gives us a venue to address them, and why we do what it is that we do and how we approach what it is that we do.

"You don't like to see it happen but it's a necessary evil. I'm glad that it happened; we addressed it and move on."

The Steelers have four more spring practices --- one tomorrow and three more next week -- before they break until training camp at St. Vincent College July 27.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Fight at Steeler Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Appears to me like the "soft" Timmons took a 300lb+ lineman to the ground. Timmons will be a beast this year.

Steelers battle like hockey players at spring practice
    Wednesday, June 04, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Perhaps watching the Penguins and Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals rubbed off on the Steelers yesterday because they held a practice and a hockey game broke out.

It's not normal, although not rare either, that football teammates fight during voluntary spring practices, yet the Steelers had two brief ones yesterday, each involving an offensive tackle.

Willie Colon, the team's starting right tackle, went to the ground at their indoor practice facility while wrestling with second-year linebacker Lawrence Timmons. Not long after, veteran backup tackle Trai Essex and linebacker Arnold Harrison went at it.

"It was humid in here,'' fellow tackle Max Starks gave as a possible reason for the two scuffles. "I don't know, maybe they've been watching Georges Laraque,'' the Penguins enforcer.

Neither scuffle lasted long, but coach Mike Tomlin brought his players together after practice to lecture them about it.

"Practice broke out into a fight,'' Tomlin explained. "You know, the competition is good, but the level of intensity has to be there if we want to get better.

"You have to understand professional etiquette; that's what we talked about after practice. These kinds of things have to happen as we develop our football team because it gives us a venue to address them, and why we do what it is that we do and how we approach what it is that we do.

"You don't like to see it happen but it's a necessary evil. I'm glad that it happened; we addressed it and move on."

The Steelers have four more spring practices --- one tomorrow and three more next week -- before they break until training camp at St. Vincent College July 27.

I recall hearing that Colon grew up in the rough streets of Brooklyn. I'm sure this isn't the first scuffle he's been in. I love to hear that Timmons took him down. He really doesn't come off as having much "bark", so this is good IMO!!

Starter

User Info Menu

I'm looking real forward to seeing Timmons on the field this year.The season can't get here soon enough for me.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Timmons is a bust...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Timmons is a bust...
    Did I mention he is "soft"

Backup

User Info Menu

Nice hearing that the youngsters are making there presence felt. It would be nice to see a run on #94 jerseys before the season reaches the 1/2 way mark.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Timmons is a bust...
    So was Holmes the year before . I remember all the outrage on the other board when he got in hot water not long after the draft that year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Timmons is a bust...
    So was Holmes the year before . I remember all the outrage on the other board when he got in hot water not long after the draft that year.

So was Troy his rookie year. I want to see Timmons see the field this year, with great frequency. I want the guy to start and I think he's capable of taking it away from Foote. I'm all for our LBs to get younger, faster and more athletic. Harrison, Timmons and Woodley with Farrior anchoring at LILB. That's my starting LB squad.

Starter

User Info Menu

Timmons is a bust...

So was Troy his rookie year. I want to see Timmons see the field this year, with great frequency. I want the guy to start and I think he's capable of taking it away from Foote. I'm all for our LBs to get younger, faster and more athletic. Harrison, Timmons and Woodley with Farrior anchoring at LILB. That's my starting LB squad.
    Awww, I like Foote...hell, he can come be on my team if
    Timmons takes his spot...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Legend

User Info Menu

Timmons is a bust...

With Harrison and Farrior that isn't younger. I'm really hoping that Davis can play this year like Woodley did last year and give Harrison a breather. Harrison was just plain ineffective with regards to the pass rush the second half of the season--only 2 sacks in 8 games.