Thread: Probably a stupid idea about O-line substitutions...

Legend

User Info Menu

Probably a stupid idea about O-line substitutions...

Typically you want to build consistency in your offensive line group. The only reason you would replace one of your starting in the middle of a drive would be due to injury. Makes sense...that's the way it always has been done. However...

Let's just say, hypothetically, that Sean Mahan is a better guard than a center like some folks here are saying. Imagine that he wins the LG job with Hartwig at center and everything else stays the same. Marvel-Mahan-Hartwig-Simmons-Colon. (Note: this is not my favorite alignment, personally...I'm just throwing around hypothetical possibilities). That is a smallish o-line by recent NFL standards. Using the weights listed in the roster on Steelers.com, that would be 321-301-312-315-315. We are running more zone blocking schemes now, and teams like Denver that were early proponents of zone blocking tended to have more undersized, athletic o-lineman as opposed to the behemoths employed by teams like Dallas.

If we used that starting five, though, would that be the best option considering that we also want to use a power running attack in the red zone with Mendenhall? What if you made wholesale changes by putting in your biggest o-linemen for short-yardage and goalline sitations? Something like Marvel-Kemo-Legursky-Colon-Starks. 321-344-323-315-337. That's 11 more pounds at center, 22 more pounds at RT, and 43 more pounds at LG. Throw in a couple of TE's and a FB to give you well over a ton of beef clearing a path for our RB's...good luck stopping Rocket Rashard from scoring in goal-to-go situations.

Would it be foolhardy to consider using one o-line alignment between the 20's when you will be using multiple WR's sets and possibly Arians' pony backfield, then switching everything up once you get in close? I've never seen anything like it done on this level before. It could be a disaster like teams that have tried to switch off between 2 QB's within a single game, but I was just thinking outside the box...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Probably a stupid idea about O-line substitutions...

Hey you're right...........it is a stupid idea.

Seriously though, not totally outlandish. Not the full change, but maybe one or two subs. Let's not mistake size with ability.

I can see you putting in Kemo - a guy who was almost good enough to win the job last year, and/or Colon - a starter last year, for a couple of guys who might not be as strong at the POA. However, I don't think that Legursky would be considered to be in the same league as Hartwig, so I can't see that happening.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Hey you're right...........it is a stupid idea.

Seriously though, not totally outlandish. Not the full change, but maybe one or two subs. Let's not mistake size with ability.

I can see you putting in Kemo - a guy who was almost good enough to win the job last year, and/or Colon - a starter last year, for a couple of guys who might not be as strong at the POA. However, I don't think that Legursky would be considered to be in the same league as Hartwig, so I can't see that happening.
    I doubt that Legursky makes the final roster, actually...I think he's a perfect practice squad candidate with Stapleton backing up Hartwig at center this year. I was just trying to make a general point by including the biggest fellas.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Unless it is up against a TV break or timeout, I would be worried about those monsters getting on and off the field in time so as to not get a delay of game. And then they would be worn out from the sprint.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would think that linemen need as much time together. So much of their job efficacy depends on synergy with each other. I think though it might be plausible for us to do this, how sound would it be in terms of the pieces your talking about inserting and removing to establish their rhythm. I think of an OLine as a single organism: having various parts but acting in unison. I think it might disrupt the flow. The Denver Broncos has managed to produce 1,000 yard backs consistently regardless of who they had at RB, but boast the lightest OL in the league.