Thread: Chad keeps options open, may still sit out

Chad keeps options open, may still sit out

By Chick Ludwig | Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 04:54 PM
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/conten ... ay_st.html
    AFTER SAYING HE’S COMING BACK,

CHAD STILL MAY OPT TO SIT OUT

Chad Johnson believes flamboyance is not arrogance, and it should not be considered a distraction.

He claims anybody who thinks his style is a negative “is just ignorant, man.”

The Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver made a stunning admission during an interview on “ESPN The Magazine on SIRIUS” — the weekly talk show on SIRIUS Satellite Radio — on Tuesday, June 3, 2008, when he claimed his passion for the game sometimes hurts him and his team.

During the show, hosted by Gary Hoenig and Gary Belsky, Johnson spoke about serving as the guest editor-in-chief of ESPN The Magazine’s second annual “Revenge of the Jocks” issue — the issue date is June 16, 2008 — his passion for the game and the possibility of not playing this year.

IN JOHNSON’S WORDS:

“A lot of people would say, ‘You know, you attract attention, you’re putting pressure on yourself.’ But the game of football is something I’ve done since I was four years old. I’ve grown up watching the (University of Miami) Hurricanes.

“I come from a very flamboyant city, if you want to call it, and a lot of people like to call it arrogant and call it a distraction and all this stuff, which is just ignorant, man.

“I just love what I do. I have a passion for it and sometimes that passion hurts me and sometimes that passion hurts my team. And I’ve always been a winner and it’s been mistaken. Because of my style of play, it’s been taken out of context as me not wanting to win. And that’s where the controversy has come in during the off-season as ‘I’m tired of losing and we’re not doing the things we need to do to help us win.’

LOVES CINCY, EMPATHIZES WITH FANS

“So, I mean, other than that, man, I have no problem with Cincinnati. I love the city, man. The fans are great. And you know what’s funny? I know how the fans have felt for those 13, 14 years of losing and that’s how I’m feeling right now. That’s what people are failing to realize. The media is portraying a whole different thing. They’re talking about, ‘Oh, he wants more money.’ No, man. I am feeling just how they felt for those 11 years, that’s it, however long it was. And I feel it and I see where it’s going. It’s going back to that same old ‘Bungles,’ or whatever it used to be. But, man, it is what it is, you know? But other than that, I enjoyed working with ESPN on this thing.”

QUESTION: “Well, we enjoyed working with you. Now, you mention in the (ESPN The Magazine) piece that you could come back to the Bengals as soon as June and there’s now, I think, a report circulating on the air that that, in fact, might be the case. Have you got any comment about that? Are you still leaving your options open?” (Johnson made the comments referred to above to ESPN The Magazine writer David Fleming on May 23).

CHAD: “Yeah, man. You know what? My options are open, man. I have so much going on off the field right now. Man, it’s beautiful. It’s beautiful. It’s a beautiful thing. God has really blessed me to be able to do other things and interact in other things. Football doesn’t have to be my backbone. Football is my bread and butter, but with my success and with me being able to venture into other things, I mean, the possibility of really not playing this year is really open. It really is.”

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Re: Chad keeps options open, may still sit out

Football doesn’t have to be my backbone.
    Funny, cause when he plays against the Steelers, his backbone seems to always be somewhere else.

Pro Bowler

I doubt Chat sits out. He has to much to lose by sitting out. This is all about money and I am glad the team is taking a stand against him.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    I doubt Chat sits out. He has to much to lose by sitting out. This is all about money and I am glad the team is taking a stand against him.
    I'm glad that they were dumb enough to turn down a #1 this year and a conditional #1 next year from the Redskins for him. Stupid Bengals.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Football doesn’t have to be my backbone.
    Funny, cause when he plays against the Steelers, his backbone seems to always be somewhere else.
    He had trouble with his teeth, too.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

No way does Chad sit.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    No way does Chad sit.

I hope the putz does sit. His skills will erode and he'll just be another footnote in the NFL. I think his arrogance will be his undoing.

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    No way does Chad sit.

I hope the putz does sit. His skills will erode and he'll just be another footnote in the NFL. I think his arrogance will be his undoing.
    Pride before the fall. I wish he would but he won't.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I'm glad that they were dumb enough to turn down a #1 this year and a conditional #1 next year from the Redskins for him. Stupid Bengals.

and, to Chad and the Bengals...

Pappy

1.15) Ra'Shede Hageman - DE
    2.47) Jason Verrett - CB
    3.97) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE
    4.114) Brandon Coleman - WR
    5.145) Lamin Barrow - ILB
    5.173) Terrance Mitchell - CB
    6.176)
    7.207) Jay Bromley - DT
    7.215)

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    What is it with the Redskins and their uncanny knack for overspending? Money, draft picks . . . and it never gets them very far from .500.