Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Specter still on the clock for us

  1. #1

    Specter still on the clock for us

    here's a response i got from when i wrote Senator Specter:
    Dear Mr. (we'll just say SCR's):

    Thank you for contacting my office regarding the recent destruction of the evidence related to spying by the New England Patriots. I appreciate your interest and opinions on this matter.

    During a September 9, 2007 football game, the New England Patriots were found to have been videotaping signals of the New York Jets against league rules. As punishment, the NFL fined the Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick $500,000, as well as the New England Patriots organization $250,000, and took away the organization's first-round selection in the 2008 draft. After distributing the fines, the NFL destroyed the tapes, supposedly so they could not be leaked or used by anyone for a competitive advantage and because the league felt there was no use for them. I am concerned with the initial action of taping these signals against league rules as well as the way in which the NFL conducted its investigation and especially the league's decision to destroy the tapes.

    In 1961, Congress enacted the Sports Broadcasting Act, which gave the NFL a special antitrust exemption. This exemption allows the NFL as a whole to negotiate broadcasting rights with television networks to show their games. This allows the teams to pool their games and receive enormous sums of money which has helped build the league into what it is today. Because Congress has given the NFL a special antitrust exemption, the league in turn has a responsibility to keep the integrity of the game intact. Just as steroid use disturbs the integrity of a baseball game, the illegal taping of another team's signals undermines the integrity of a football game.

    While I agree there are more pressing matters facing the United States Senate, I also believe the NFL has a duty to maintain a certain level of integrity, especially taking into account their special antitrust exemption status. While I am not currently seeking a formal hearing, I have met with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and have asked to speak with other officials on this matter.

    Again, thank you for your concerns regarding this incident. It is important that I be kept informed of my constituents viewpoints at all times and on all matters. Should you have any further questions or observations, please do not hesitate to contact my office at 202-224-4254.


    Sincerely,




    Arlen Specter

    I know i might be a bit psycho over this, but I refuse to let go until something legit happens to belicheat.

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,773

    Re: Specter still on the clock for us

    I'm also hoping something further comes out and/or a more severe punishment is delt to Belichick and the Patriots. But I'm not holding my breath either.

    But thanks for keeping up the fight - you and AS! (Arlen Specter not asiansteel )

  3. #3

    Re: Specter still on the clock for us

    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    I'm also hoping something further comes out and/or a more severe punishment is delt to Belichick and the Patriots. But I'm not holding my breath either.

    But thanks for keeping up the fight - you and AS! (Arlen Specter not asiansteel )

    no prob.
    I'm thoroughly pissing off my friends in boston with all the heckling... I think they're really getting mad.

    sucks for them.

  4. #4

    Re: Specter still on the clock for us

    Belichick isnt enough I want to see Brady removed from record books and potential HOF.

  5. #5
    Backup
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    cranberry township pa
    Posts
    269

    Re: Specter still on the clock for us

    Thanks for sharing that. If BB had just a little bit of class he would step down. If Kraft had the class people believe him to have he would fire BB and start fresh.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg






    "Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

  6. #6

    Re: Specter still on the clock for us

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    Thanks for sharing that. If BB had just a little bit of class he would step down. If Kraft had the class people believe him to have he would fire BB and start fresh.
    I agree, but at this point all i want is belicheat to be suspended for one season minimum. that should be the absolute least that happens to him. I think anything else would be gravy.

    he's such a punk. if i saw him in the streets i'd curse him out publicly and embarrass my wife, or whoever else was with me.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South West Indiana
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Specter still on the clock for us

    Personally, I think it's silly for Specter to put so much effort that has nothing to do with his position as Sen., but I'm all for him being a torn in the side of Belicheat!!

  8. #8
    Backup
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    cranberry township pa
    Posts
    269

    Re: Specter still on the clock for us

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Personally, I think it's silly for Specter to put so much effort that has nothing to do with his position as Sen., but I'm all for him being a torn in the side of Belicheat!!
    Remember the Lion who had the thorn stuck in his paw? I hope that Specter becomes a thorn which festers. I'm all for Specter to speak up for us. His has been the only voice we've had. I also believe it comes under his duties as a Lawmaker.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg






    "Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

  9. #9
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,999

    Re: Specter still on the clock for us

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrules!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    Thanks for sharing that. If BB had just a little bit of class he would step down. If Kraft had the class people believe him to have he would fire BB and start fresh.
    I agree, but at this point all i want is belicheat to be suspended for one season minimum. that should be the absolute least that happens to him. I think anything else would be gravy.

    he's such a punk. if i saw him in the streets i'd curse him out publicly and embarrass my wife, or whoever else was with me.
    If the two of you saw Belichick in public, your wife should be embarrassed if you DIDN'T curse him out.

  10. #10

    Re: Specter still on the clock for us

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Steeler
    Belichick isnt enough I want to see Brady removed from record books and potential HOF.
    Yup, exactly. If you can keep Pete Rose out of baseball's HOF for betting for his team to WIN, surely Girly Boy Brady can be kept out for cheating.

    BTW - Anyone know if the Chicago Blacksocks had their records expunged after they were exposed?


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •