Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnson to return to Bungals

Kipper

Re: Johnson to return to Bungals

Every team in our division needs an Ocho Stinko to bring their team down. Funny thing is with or without Ocho Stinko, the Bengals will still suck. Stinko was right, their defense stinks and it's ncie that they have a QB that can win big games or put together a game winning drive.

Hall of Famer

Man, a year ago when I'd bash on Chaddy, most folks would tell me I was wrong, and that he was just "playful"... Glad to see alot are coming to thier senses.....

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Man, a year ago when I'd bash on Chaddy, most folks would tell me I was wrong, and that he was just "playful"... Glad to see alot are coming to thier senses.....
    You are my sensi, NKy. Kind of like this dude.

"How'd you like a roundhouse to the face with these bad boyz."

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    You are my sensi, NKy. Kind of like this dude.

"How'd you like a roundhouse to the face with these bad boyz."

I personaly like Chad and his style of play and i agree that the bengals havnt dont anything to improve. I also believe Chad is smart enough to realize alot of cinci fans love him so why leave. It's obvious this is a make or break year for Marv Lewis so if they win Chad is happy and if Lewis gets the axe after the season is over Chad still wins. With all that being said i like seeing Smith knock his grill out even better.

Hall of Famer

Money talks loudest
    June 3, 2008 12:15 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

It's obvious that Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Johnson wants to turn in his orange jersey with black stripes.

It's also obvious that Johnson's comments about the Bengals make coach Marvin Lewis red in the face.

But at the end of the day, there's one color that matters most when settling disputes in the NFL:

That hue is green -- as in the color of money.

Our colleagues at ESPN The Magazine recently caught up with the embattled receiver at his home in Davie, Fla. Among other things, Johnson said that he plans to report to Cincinnati's mandatory minicamp on June 12 and that everyone will see "the reinvention of Ocho Cinco."

This declaration comes just six weeks after Johnson boldly told ESPN.com: "I don't intend on reporting to anything." Lewis quickly shot back during a news conference with Cincinnati media, saying, "I think he's a man of his word and says he's not going to play, so don't play.''

The major league staredown between Cincinnati's star player and coach resulted in Johnson blinking first.

Make no mistake, the fines of $8,000 per day for skipping minicamp and $14,000 per day for missing training camp were ringing in Johnson's head.

A holdout beyond that would have resulted in a loss of game checks. His $3 million salary divided over a 17-week regular season would have cost Johnson approximately $176,500 per week.

Those are the primary reasons Johnson backed down. His proclamation that "I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid" isn't a ringing endorsement that the Bengals are Super Bowl contenders.

With Johnson under contract through 2010 (with a team option for 2011), Cincinnati held most of the cards in this dispute. Threatening to hold out was Johnson's only wild card. He played it, and the Bengals guessed right by calling his bluff.

The good news is Cincinnati retains one of its best players and avoids a potential $8 million salary-cap hit by fending off Johnson's trade requests. But there are other questions that need to be answered.

Will Johnson become a bigger distraction or part of the solution?

How will his teammates receive him?

How will Lewis receive him?

"I'm dead serious. People need to take me as I am because I just don't give a [expletive] anymore,'' Johnson told ESPN The Magazine. "That's how I'd sum up my attitude for the next season."

In other words, let the circus begin.

Or in the Bengals' case, let the circus continue.

Pro Bowler

Money talks loudest
    June 3, 2008 12:15 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

It's obvious that Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Johnson wants to turn in his orange jersey with black stripes.

It's also obvious that Johnson's comments about the Bengals make coach Marvin Lewis red in the face.

But at the end of the day, there's one color that matters most when settling disputes in the NFL:

That hue is green -- as in the color of money.

Our colleagues at ESPN The Magazine recently caught up with the embattled receiver at his home in Davie, Fla. Among other things, Johnson said that he plans to report to Cincinnati's mandatory minicamp on June 12 and that everyone will see "the reinvention of Ocho Cinco."

This declaration comes just six weeks after Johnson boldly told ESPN.com: "I don't intend on reporting to anything." Lewis quickly shot back during a news conference with Cincinnati media, saying, "I think he's a man of his word and says he's not going to play, so don't play.''

The major league staredown between Cincinnati's star player and coach resulted in Johnson blinking first.

Make no mistake, the fines of $8,000 per day for skipping minicamp and $14,000 per day for missing training camp were ringing in Johnson's head.

A holdout beyond that would have resulted in a loss of game checks. His $3 million salary divided over a 17-week regular season would have cost Johnson approximately $176,500 per week.

Those are the primary reasons Johnson backed down. His proclamation that "I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid" isn't a ringing endorsement that the Bengals are Super Bowl contenders.

With Johnson under contract through 2010 (with a team option for 2011), Cincinnati held most of the cards in this dispute. Threatening to hold out was Johnson's only wild card. He played it, and the Bengals guessed right by calling his bluff.

The good news is Cincinnati retains one of its best players and avoids a potential $8 million salary-cap hit by fending off Johnson's trade requests. But there are other questions that need to be answered.

Will Johnson become a bigger distraction or part of the solution?

How will his teammates receive him?

How will Lewis receive him?

"I'm dead serious. People need to take me as I am because I just don't give a [expletive] anymore,'' Johnson told ESPN The Magazine. "That's how I'd sum up my attitude for the next season."

In other words, let the circus begin.

Or in the Bengals' case, let the circus continue.
    I'm so looking forward to watching this train wreck!!

Legend

While you may not like his "style" or sense of team, you can't say that Chad does not speak the truth about the Bungals or the pathetic organization he is stuck in. They just let their best defensive player walk in the off season.

They are as disfunctional an organization as there is the the NFL. The team and fans are jokes and will always be. Cincinatti is a baseball city and football is something they don't get and never will.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    While you may not like his "style" or sense of team, you can't say that Chad does not speak the truth about the Bungals or the pathetic organization he is stuck in. They just let their best defensive player walk in the off season.

They are as disfunctional an organization as there is the the NFL. The team and fans are jokes and will always be. Cincinatti is a baseball city and football is something they don't get and never will.
    Doesn't he contribute to that, though? True, he wasn't one of the ones who got arrested, but all those antics on a team that doesn't win, is laughable.

BIG FAN

Real glad last year I was not "most people".