Thread: Mike Lorello

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Lorello

Hope this hasn't been posted before
    [May 24, 2008]
    [url="http://www.tmcnet.com"]http://www.tmcnet.com[/url]

Third time a charm?: Lorello fighting for a spot on Steelers' roster

(The Dominion Post in Morgantown (WV)(KRT) Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) May 24--PITTSBURGH -- Last season, Mike Lorello was one of eight players on the Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad.

NFL practice squads serve a purpose similar to scout teams at the college level.

"We just give the offensive starters the defense they'll be seeing in a game," Lorello said. "So, if we're playing Baltimore, we'll simulate Baltimore's defense that week in practice."

Lorello played safety for the Mountaineers from 2002-05, and first signed with the Steelers as an undrafted priority free agent in 2006.

Since then, he's been through one contract, been cut and re-signed once, and is now on the first year of a fresh twoyear contract, trying to make the Steelers' active roster this season.

It's been a long road for the Powell, Ohio native who's crossing his fingers in hopes that his third season in the pros will finally see him elevated from the practice squad.

"They've kept me around this long right? It means they don't hate me," Lorello says, with an easy grin."

The good news is that there's only one safety in this year's class of incoming Steeler hopefuls who'll be jostling for roster spots alongside Lorello.

That's Ryan Mundy, a fellow Mountaineer.

So Lorello's not too worried about his competition. He knows firsthand how challenging a rookie season is, and he's more concerned about getting in shape for training camp. The team's current phase of organized training activities run until June 12, when the players get a five-week break before reporting back for camp.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Mike Lorello

Lorello's competition is not Ryan Mundy it is Tyrone Carter. If Lorello can step up on spaecial teams he will help himself immesely.

Lorello is a Strong Safety where Mundy is a free safety. They won't hurt each other. They both however need to prove value on STs or neither will be on the team.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Mike Lorello

El train are you there to keep us up to date?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!