Thread: Odell Thurman

Legend

User Info Menu

Odell Thurman

LB Thurman faces indefinite suspension after failed drug test Story Highlights
    Thurman missed the last two seasons while suspended for drug and alcohol use
    His 2006 four-game suspension was extended after he was arrested for DWI
    Roger Goodell reinstated Thurman in April, but the Bengals waived him last month

By Jim Trotter, SI.com

NEW YORK -- Former Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman is facing an indefinite suspension after violating the league's substance abuse policy, a source with knowledge of the situation said today.

Thurman, who missed the past two seasons because of suspensions tied to drug and alcohol use, could not be reached for comment.

His agent, Safarrah Lawson, said: "We have not been notified of that at this point. I have no knowledge."

As a second-round draft choice in 2005, Thurman led the Bengals with 148 tackles, four forced fumbles and five interceptions. He was suspended by the league for four games in July 2006 for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

The suspension was extended for the rest of the year after Thurman was arrested Sept. 25 for drunk driving. He later admitted in court that he is an alcoholic.

Thurman applied for reinstatement before the 2007 season, but his appeal was denied. Commissioner Roger Goodell lifted the suspension April 21, 2008, but the Bengals waived him last month when he failed to show up for offseason workouts, citing the death of his grandmother.

"His grandmother's been buried for quite a while. Don't get into his whole family structure," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis recently told local reporters. "We've been patient enough with Odell."

Lawson said Thurman has received inquires from other clubs, but postponed a planned visit with an unspecified team because "he's still dealing with some family issues."

Both the league and the Bengals had no comment on Thurman.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Odell Thurman

This was what Marvin was elluding to when he was cut.... Not a suprise, considering his past track record.... But still disapointing and a waste of talent....

Carsons-Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    This was what Marvin was elluding to when he was cut.... Not a suprise, considering his past track record.... But still disapointing and a waste of talent....
    Disapointing...the understatement of the year. Alot of folks in the Nati were hoping he'd be the answer to some of their defensive questions (2 years removed or not

Legend

User Info Menu

It seems like alot of wasted talent.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yes. Alot of wasted talent. I can't believe the Bengals take so many chance w/low character people. It really sets the franschise back when these goofballs are cut after they show their true colors.......

Backup

User Info Menu

Makes you wonder if cinci knew the results of the drug test before they cut him. I dont think the NFL would test him if he wasnt with a team. Does a player still get paid while under suspension? seems shady to me that cinci would now show a interest in player character.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Steeler
    Makes you wonder if cinci knew the results of the drug test before they cut him. I dont think the NFL would test him if he wasnt with a team. Does a player still get paid while under suspension? seems shady to me that cinci would now show a interest in player character.
    ...If you recall, when Thurman was released, Marvin made comments about the reasons in general.... I am SURE that they knew...