Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Favorite Live Music Performances

  1. #21
    Backup
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    cranberry township pa
    Posts
    269

    Re: Favorite Live Music Performances

    OK guys I got some for you. My favorite concert of all time is David Bowie, 1974, Pgh Syria Mosque. I still have the ticket stub.
    (Outdoor) Taj Mahal and others, One World Festival Of Music, Pitt Stadium, 1973?
    Jefferson Starship, Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks= Hot) Pgh Civic Arena, 1974 (I think)
    The Moody Blues, Pgh Civic Arena, 1973
    Joe Cocker, Pgh Civic Arena, 1972
    (Outdoor) Three Dog Night & others, Three Rivers Stadium, 1973
    Bob Seger, San Diego CA, 1978
    (Outdoor) Cal Jam II, Ontario CA. 1978 (featuring Heart I think? & an all-star line-up )
    Heart, San Diego, CA, 1978 (I was in love with the Wilson sisters of Heart...HOT)
    Prince tour, Prince, Vanity, Morris Day (Time), San Diego, CA, 1982
    My last concert was Marvin Gaye, (Sexual Healing tour) Golden Hall, San Diego, CA, around '82 or '83. It was Marvin's last tour before he was killed.

    There was also an outdoor concert in WV at a great site near the Race Track in Chester that headlined Peter Frampton, Black Oak Arkansas and others. That had to be around '72. I remember seeing Frampton, but I had too much wine and passed out. Oh well.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg






    "Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

  2. #22
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,045

    Re: Favorite Live Music Performances

    A local radio station had a concert that whoever wore the coolest homemade Aerosmith shirt to the show would be upgraded to front row seats. My wife made an awesome version of this



    on the front, and I wrote a story about how happy we'd be to get to the front row containing the words "Crazy," "Amazing," "Cryin'," "Pink," "Angel," etc. all highlighted throughout (it was pretty easy, since the band gave me a lot of simple song titles to work with).

    I was close enough to actually be able to see each song's lyrics and the overall set list as they were shown on Steven Tyler's teleprompter which was facing away from the crowd.

    Also, my wife knew some guy who worked for a local radio station that was able to score us backstage passes for Van Halen before the show. They rushed us through like cattle to take pictures so we couldn't hang out for anything (it was funny how they warned us not to use a strong handshake grip on Eddie's guitar hand). It is cool having a picture of my wife and I (we were only dating at the time) with Eddie, Alex, and Michael Anthony. The only downside? It happened to be during that awful period in which the dude from Extreme took over for Sammy Hagar. Ugh.

  3. #23
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Favorite Live Music Performances

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    OK guys I got some for you. My favorite concert of all time is David Bowie, 1974, Pgh Syria Mosque. I still have the ticket stub.
    (Outdoor) Taj Mahal and others, One World Festival Of Music, Pitt Stadium, 1973?
    Jefferson Starship, Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks= Hot) Pgh Civic Arena, 1974 (I think)
    The Moody Blues, Pgh Civic Arena, 1973
    Joe Cocker, Pgh Civic Arena, 1972
    (Outdoor) Three Dog Night & others, Three Rivers Stadium, 1973
    Bob Seger, San Diego CA, 1978
    (Outdoor) Cal Jam II, Ontario CA. 1978 (featuring Heart I think? & an all-star line-up )
    Heart, San Diego, CA, 1978 (I was in love with the Wilson sisters of Heart...HOT)
    Prince tour, Prince, Vanity, Morris Day (Time), San Diego, CA, 1982
    My last concert was Marvin Gaye, (Sexual Healing tour) Golden Hall, San Diego, CA, around '82 or '83. It was Marvin's last tour before he was killed.

    There was also an outdoor concert in WV at a great site near the Race Track in Chester that headlined Peter Frampton, Black Oak Arkansas and others. That had to be around '72. I remember seeing Frampton, but I had too much wine and passed out. Oh well.
    You have been to some very cool shows.

  4. #24
    Backup
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    cranberry township pa
    Posts
    269

    Re: Favorite Live Music Performances

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    OK guys I got some for you. My favorite concert of all time is David Bowie, 1974, Pgh Syria Mosque. I still have the ticket stub.
    (Outdoor) Taj Mahal and others, One World Festival Of Music, Pitt Stadium, 1973?
    Jefferson Starship, Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks= Hot) Pgh Civic Arena, 1974 (I think)
    The Moody Blues, Pgh Civic Arena, 1973
    Joe Cocker, Pgh Civic Arena, 1972
    (Outdoor) Three Dog Night & others, Three Rivers Stadium, 1973
    Bob Seger, San Diego CA, 1978
    (Outdoor) Cal Jam II, Ontario CA. 1978 (featuring Heart I think? & an all-star line-up )
    Heart, San Diego, CA, 1978 (I was in love with the Wilson sisters of Heart...HOT)
    Prince tour, Prince, Vanity, Morris Day (Time), San Diego, CA, 1982
    My last concert was Marvin Gaye, (Sexual Healing tour) Golden Hall, San Diego, CA, around '82 or '83. It was Marvin's last tour before he was killed.

    There was also an outdoor concert in WV at a great site near the Race Track in Chester that headlined Peter Frampton, Black Oak Arkansas and others. That had to be around '72. I remember seeing Frampton, but I had too much wine and passed out. Oh well.
    You have been to some very cool shows.
    Yes. I used to Rock it out back in the day. In 1969 a buddy of mine asked me to drive a group of us to an outdoor music festival in New York. I had just bought my 1st brand new car ('69 Roadrunner) and the group felt it would be a good move to avoid a breakdown. I changed my mind a day or two before we were supposed to leave. Of course, that show was "Woodstock." They went anyway and I've been kicking myself ever since.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg






    "Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

  5. #25
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Favorite Live Music Performances

    My mom and dad wanted to drive from L.A. to New York to attend Woodstock...neither set of grandparents would agree to watch me while they went.

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Woooooo!!!
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Favorite Live Music Performances

    I saw Scorpions, AC/DC, and Ted Nugent in 9th grade in the Burgh at the Civic Arena. Friggin Awesome!!!

    Also Buffet/Little Feat at Merriweather outside of DC.

    I just saw The Who last year -- not a great show but I had 4th row seats which made it incredible -- being that close.

    I saw the Dead on one of their last tours. That was good.

    Billy Joel/Elton John - in RFK in DC. Also really good.

    And Brittany Spears was HOT. (just kiddin 'bout that one)
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

  7. #27
    Backup
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Woooooooo!!!
    Posts
    388

    Re: Favorite Live Music Performances

    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    ozzfest 97 at star lake in pittsburgh first time ozzy was back with sabbath. pantera was co headliner. skipped my high school graduation to go. was worth it.

    I was at this show as well. Went with friends of mine that ended up in my wedding five years later. A few cases of beer and the death of a portable grill later, we finally saw the Sabs with Ozzy. I was disappointed that Bill Ward wasn't back with them, but at least he did come back a few years later. Third time seeing Type O Negative as well. Hard to believe that was 11 years ago!

    Other shows - Van Halen with Dave in Columbus this year (finally!), Clash of the Titans, Buffalo, NY 1991 (Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, and some unknown band called Alice in Chains), King Crimson who knows how many times since 1995, Sabbath with Dio in Cleveland last year, Death in 1993 (City Limits, anyone remember that place?) and 1998, Donnie Iris at least six times, Yngwie in Cleveland in 2004, there's a lot of them. Still kicking myself for missing Coroner and Nuclear Assault in 1991 when I had the chance. Have to go through the list again at some point.
    "The only thing decent about the seventies was the Pittsburgh Steelers and their four Super Bowls." - Rush Limbaugh

    Mach Five - your all-Steelers fan band!
    http://www.machfive.us

  8. #28
    Hall of Famer AngryAsian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,014

    Re: Favorite Live Music Performances

    Lalapalooza I in 1991: Some great bands with great performances. Notably great were Siouxsie and the Banshees, Rollins Band, Violent Femmes and of course the headliners.... Janes Addiction. But all were outshined by Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails. Phenomenal.

  9. #29

    Re: Favorite Live Music Performances

    Some great live shows seen here (stlrz d, wow). I wish I would've been better about going to shows in my younger days. The girlfriend loves to go to shows though so we're going to see everything we can nowadays.

    Lollapalooza 4 was one to remember for me (The Smashing Pumpkins).

  10. #30
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Favorite Live Music Performances

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelworth
    Some great live shows seen here (stlrz d, wow). I wish I would've been better about going to shows in my younger days. The girlfriend loves to go to shows though so we're going to see everything we can nowadays.

    Lollapalooza 4 was one to remember for me (The Smashing Pumpkins).
    Thanks man...I got more but didn't wanna bust out all the ticket stubs (yes, I keep them all) and just post a list.

    Front row for Neil Young on the Ragged Glory tour was pretty cool too.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •